Limiting framerate "issue"

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Mozart36

Limiting framerate "issue"

Post by Mozart36 » 06 Oct 2022, 15:43

Hello guys.

First of all, thank you all for this forum. I learned a lot from people here, so I really wanted to Thank You. And hope you all are well and healthy.

Now to my issue.
I really tried to find some threads with this specific "issue", but I just could not, because it is really hard to put it in just a few words.
If I somehow missed some thread, which already discussed this, I'm really sorry.

I play my games like this - monitor is 165Hz so I lock my FPS usually with RTS to 160 (sometimes I'm using ingame limiter, if it seems better then RTS). Using G-sync + V-sync ON in NVCP. Now I'm playing these games: Apex Legends, Rocket League and Overwatch 2. The games run like this:

Apex Legends (RTS limit to 160) - my PC cannot hold 160 fps all the time so there are drops to like 120 sometimes, but the average is around 145 fps. The game feels really smooth, thanks to the G-sync I assume. No problem here!
Rocket League (RTS limit to 160) - game is running 160 fps for like 3-4 seconds, then drop to 159 for 1 second, then 160 again for like 2-3 seconds, then drop to 158fps for 1 sec and back to 160. This is constantly happening. It would not be a huge deal, but some drops cause little stutter and in Rocket League, when everything is smooth 95% of the time, these little stutters are annoying. The thing is, why it should be droping frames to 159, 158, or sometimes 157 (the lowest I saw)? If I'm not using any limit my fps are around 300 (265 was the lowest number I saw), so why the game cannot hold 160 all the time and drops frames below that limit?
Overwatch 2 (ingame limit to 160) - this is pretty much the same as Rocket League. When unlimited it runs around 300fps, but when I limit it to 160, it is dropping every 3-4 seconds to like 158 for 1 second and causes some little stutters here and there.

Is there "normal" reason for this behaviour?
Tomorrow I can show some graphs from afterburner so you know, what I mean.
I thought it can be related to CPU. When I'm playing Rocket League and Overwatch with locked framrate, it just does not need to run on max power, becaus of that the CPU downclocks and so my fps drops a little? The CPU then push the clocks up immediately and so it is back at 160 again? I'm not sure, its just from the graphs in afterburner, it seems like CPU is downclocking every few seconds, so it can be somehow related? Maybe C-states issue? Or maybe some issue on the GPU with utilization? Or maybe it's none of that at all.

My PC specs are:
GPU: MSI Gaming RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: Ryzen 5950x
RAM: 32GB 3800MHz
All drivers are up to date. Clean OS installation.

Thank you for reading this through and sorry for my english.

Mozart36

Re: Limiting framerate "issue"

Post by Mozart36 » 08 Oct 2022, 01:33

Hello again.

Sorry for the new post, but I just found a solution so I wanted to make separated post, not just edit the main one.

My problem was RTSS. In RTSS (settings) there is the checkbox Enable passive waiting, which is checked by default. If you want to know, what it does, just google "RTSS passive waiting" (on Guru3D forum the creater of AB and RTSS explains it). I unchecked the box and RTSS can now hold framerate as was selected.

Hope you have a good day.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 08 Oct 2022, 06:32

Mozart36 wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 01:33
My problem was RTSS. In RTSS (settings) there is the checkbox Enable passive waiting, which is checked by default. If you want to know, what it does, just google "RTSS passive waiting" (on Guru3D forum the creater of AB and RTSS explains it). I unchecked the box and RTSS can now hold framerate as was selected.
You can also try the driver's limiter ("max framerate" in nvidia panel 3D settings.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Mozart36

Post by Mozart36 » 08 Oct 2022, 15:27

Thank you for the response :)
Since I'm not using RTSS for overlay, I actually think about uninstalling it and just use Afterburner (for my GPU undervolt and fan curve).
In that case, I want to use NVCP framerate limiter as you suggested. Do you think it is now more or less the same as RTSS? Last time I checked it was not bad, but RTSS was still preferable.
I usually try to use ingame limiter if I can, but sometimes it has weird framepacing.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Oct 2022, 05:49

Mozart36 wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 15:27
Since I'm not using RTSS for overlay, I actually think about uninstalling it and just use Afterburner (for my GPU undervolt and fan curve).
In that case, I want to use NVCP framerate limiter as you suggested. Do you think it is now more or less the same as RTSS? Last time I checked it was not bad, but RTSS was still preferable.
I usually try to use ingame limiter if I can, but sometimes it has weird framepacing.
I use RTSS to do tests in new games to see GPU/CPU load and find the best FPS limit. After that, I just set the FPS limit in the nvidia panel. Both limiters provide the same results for me. The older nvidia FPS limiters (now some years old) had input lag. That's not the case anymore.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Mozart36

Post by Mozart36 » 09 Oct 2022, 09:26

That sounds good. I know I could try it and I certainly will, but I just wanted to know your opinion.
Thank you again. I really appreciate it!