ZOWIE XL2566K Discussion Thread [24.5" 360hz TN]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
neeonez

Re: ZOWIE XL2566K Discussion Thread [24.5" 360hz TN]

Post by neeonez » 06 Jun 2023, 15:21

And thank you for your extense explanation. Testing a bit more, I'm even starting to think that this monitor is just "good enough" to make stuttering noticeable. For instance, the AW2518HF had no stuttering, but at the cost of blurring and a slight tearing (even with vsync on).

pigzera

Post by pigzera » 06 Jun 2023, 17:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 19:15
Remember framerate=Hz
neeonez wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 10:43
DYAC + 144FPS = Meh (a no for mee)
You need to intentionally lower your refresh rate to 144Hz to make it look good.
neeonez wrote:
DYAC + 240FPS = Yes, quite acceptable
You need to intentionally lower your refresh rate to 240Hz to make it look good.
neeonez wrote:
DYAC + 360FPS = Amazing, you can even read the text while scrolling like on a classic CRT. Now, let´s find the game allowing that.
Yep, 360fps 360Hz looks amazing.

But... 360fps is hard for GPUs.

HOWTO: Properly Using DyAc+ as a CRT Replacement

Here's a tip: If your priority is CRT-look over latency:

144fps 144Hz DyAc+ looks much better than 200fps 360Hz DyAc+

Try It. Lowering Refresh Rate Can Improve Strobe Quality If Easier To Get Framerate=Hz

- Good for solo games where lag isn't as important
- Good for more accurate CRT simulation
- Good for lower end GPUs
- Good for RTX raytracing and pathtracing
- Looks Much Better Than 360Hz when your frame rates are extremely low

360Hz strobe capable display can be a defacto luxury 120Hz-240Hz CRT, there's less strobe crosstalk.

DyAc+ even looks better at low refresh rates such as 100Hz-144Hz VSYNC ON than 360Hz VSYNC OFF. No double images at framerate=Hz. 120fps+120Hz on 360Hz panels look better quality than 120fps+120Hz on 120Hz panels, which is why it looks so amazing.

Lowering Refresh Rate Reduces Number Of Duplicate Images At Low Frame Rates

That's why lowering refresh rate to match frame rate can improve DyAc+!

144fps 144Hz DyAc+ looks MUCH better than 144fps 360Hz DyAc.

CRT Motion Quality Tip: Framerate = Refreshrate = Stroberate

But to make it look better than "low framerates at 360Hz", please use a low latency framerate=Hz sync technology to get the proper "CRT experience"

Low Latency framerate=Hz technologies

- VSYNC ON + NULL (easiest)
- Low-Lag VSYNC HOWTO (harder)
- RTSS Scanline Sync (if you can do framerate=Hz at 50% GPU)
- Special K Latent Sync (if you can do framerate=Hz at 50% GPU)

360Hz is lower lag, but 100fps 100Hz DyAc+ looks better in "RTX ON" + "DLSS 3.0" solo games

Yes, 360fps 360Hz is better, but you can't always get 360fps sadly. That's a pain; especially because in fancy solo games, an "RTX ON" + "CRT motion quality" requires you to intentionally lower your refresh rate, for RTX ON to look like CRT motion clarity.

DyAc+ can strobe as low as 100Hz, and you can use an RTX 4000 series with DLSS 3.0 to get 100fps raytraced content in some games like Cyberpunk 2077 -- or other graphically intensive games that you would normally play solo.

If you want DyAc+ to look like a CRT at lower frame rates YOU MUST LOWER REFRESH RATE OR IT WONT LOOK LIKE A PROPER CRT.

The RTX and DLSS goodness in astoundingly beautiful solo games often adds ~50-100ms lag anyway, and the lag difference of 100Hz vs 360Hz is less than a 10ms difference (Math: Not all pixels refresh at the same time, www.blurbusters.com/scanout -- so the screen center scanout halftime of 100Hz is 0.5/100sec = 5ms, and screen center scanout halftime of 0.5/360sec = 1.4ms. The difference of 100Hz DyAc+ versus 360Hz+ DyAc+ is (5ms-1.4ms) = 3.6ms latency difference. That is only a tiny lag increase for a massive CRT motion clarity improvement!, and you should intentionally lower your refresh rate to match your frame rate, to improve CRT motion clarity, for your solo games where latency is not important.

Bring the refresh rate closer to your real-world-frame rate (Very Important!). There can be more flicker, which is a problem if you are flicker sensitive, but if you loved CRTs back in the day, then you should know that framerate=Hz becomes "CRT god mode", and you sometimes have to lower refresh rate to match frame rate.

It's necessary to improve quality by lowering refresh rate to properly simulate a 100Hz or 120Hz or 144Hz CRT tube, you're doing it wrong if you're CRT-motion-clarity priority over input latency. (Yes, 360Hz is lower lag, but why use 360Hz if you're playing Cyberpunk 2077 with DLSS 3.0? Lag ain't as important as CS:GO or other esports situations, if you are just enjoying a plain solo game. So, fix your settings it so Cyberpunk looks like a proper CRT. Otherwise you're incorrectly simulating a CRT)

DyAc+ supports custom Hz in ~0.001 Hz increments from 100.000 Hz through 360.000 Hz, via Custom Resolution in NVIDIA Control Panel, or via www.monitortests.com ToastyX (for AMD and Intel).
Does this applies to the ASUS ELMB? (VG279QM)
Enabling ELMB, lowering hz to 144 etc.

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 06 Jun 2023, 20:49

Guys, is the XL2566K much superior to the XL2546k? I ask this, because the XL2566K will only be launched in my country at the end of this month or the beginning of next month, and the XL2546K is the best value to date. I believe the 2566K comes at double or almost double the price of the 2546K, is it worth the price? I'm a competitive FPS player.
I want to update my Alienware AW2518HF, which has the first 240hz panels, I believe it is far behind the most current monitors, mainly in terms of sharpness and blur.

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 07 Jun 2023, 03:50

Caronizeeee wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 20:49
Guys, is the XL2566K much superior to the XL2546k? I ask this, because the XL2566K will only be launched in my country at the end of this month or the beginning of next month, and the XL2546K is the best value to date. I believe the 2566K comes at double or almost double the price of the 2546K, is it worth the price? I'm a competitive FPS player.
I want to update my Alienware AW2518HF, which has the first 240hz panels, I believe it is far behind the most current monitors, mainly in terms of sharpness and blur.
I upgraded from the XL2546K to the XL2566K and it definitely feels more responsive. Also in games like Quake Live that has a max fps of 250. It's a great monitor.
Keep in mind that the Zowie monitors are about responsiveness and making enemies pop out because they have the best contrast, vibrance, sharpness and black equalizer options.
The best cause u can really crank it to the extreme in a way that actually helps in spotting enemies; not a gimmick.
The TN panel in both the Zowie monitors does the best job in managing and displaying these extreme settings.
From my personal experience IPS panels can get color bleeding fast with extreme vibrances, contrast or black equalizer settings.
The black in OLED panels can be too dark. (I never played on OLED but youtuber Boardzy mentioned this about the LG 240hz OLED panel.)
Plus, definitely not to forget: the Dyac+ makes u track enemies extremely good with 0 hit on the very nice brightness.

The way I configure the monitor is only focused on these extreme settings.
That's why the games that I play look very different on the Zowie monitor than what they are intended to look like in general.
Also, I configured everything on extremely low settings in game for the highest fps possible.

So the games look ugly as hell, unnatural and flat out weird cause of the extreme colors the extreme contrast and vibrance provides. (But in a good way in the context of spotting and fragging enemies and so giving a advantage)

You don't see these extreme settings (except the very low ingame settings) in Twitch streams with pro streamers that use Zowie monitors, because the settings are in the monitor itself and not the NVIDIA control panel or in the game itself. So they output a normal signal to OBS. (But they do use it) Check out the recent TGTLN Zowie settings Youtubevideo for PUBG for example; https://youtu.be/0wpokGq-KbMhe shows this difference.
On his monitor it looks extreme, but for us people that watch the stream on Twitch it looks normal.
I think TGLTN still uses the XL2546K because he likes to play on passtrough mode to his capture card on his streampc. Passtrough is capped at 240hz cause of the HDMI 2.0 in-and-outputs capture cards have ( HDMI 2.0 is max 240hz), 360hz can only be done streaming with mirroring the screen in the NIVDIA control panel, what can cause small lag from my understanding.

The game itself and therefore the Zowie monitors are only about the rush of fragging a other player in FPS games. Has 0% to do with immersion in the surroundings of a game. If I had a setting to play against matchstick men to win a game, I would do it.
If u don't have this exact mindset, I am not sure if this is the best choice.

But It's still a good monitor if u like default colors and default vibrance cause of the Dyac and low input lag. But not the best.
If money is not a issue, the IPS ASUS 1440P 360hz PG27AQN (with the just released ULMB 2 firmware) would probably be better in that scenario. Or the OLED ASUS 1440P 240hz PG27AQDM cause of the insane immersion OLED provides. (both have a switch to switch between 24,5" and 26,5" that is pretty cool too)
Last edited by daviddave1 on 12 Jun 2023, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 07 Jun 2023, 15:09

daviddave1 wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 03:50
Caronizeeee wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 20:49
I upgraded from the XL2546K to the XL2566K and it definitely feels more responsive. Also in games like Quake Live that has a max fps of 250. It's a great monitor.
Keep in mind that the Zowie monitors are about responsiveness and making enemies pop out because they have the best contrast, vibrance, sharpness and black equalizer options.
The best cause u can really crank it to the extreme in a way that actually helps in spotting enemies; not a gimmick.
The TN panel in both the Zowie monitors does a the best job in managing and displaying these extreme settings.
From my personal experience IPS panels can get color bleeding fast with extreme vibrances, contrast or black equalizer settings.
The black in OLED panels can be too dark. (I never played on OLED but youtuber Boardzy mentioned this about the LG 240hz OLED panel.)
Plus, definitely not to forget: the Dyac+ makes u track enemies extremely good with 0 hit on the very nice brightness.

The way I configure the monitor is only focused on these extreme settings.
That's why the games that I play look very different on the Zowie monitor than what they are intended to look like in general.
Also, I configured everything on extremely low settings in game for the highest fps possible.

So the games look ugly as hell, unnatural and flat out weird cause of the extreme colors the extreme contrast and vibrance provides. (But in a good way in the context of spotting and fragging enemies and so giving a advantage)

You don't see these extreme settings (except the very low ingame settings) in Twitch streams with pro streamers that use Zowie monitors, because the settings are in the monitor itself and not the NVIDIA control panel or in the game itself. So they output a normal signal to OBS. (But they do use it) Check out the recent TGTLN Zowie settings Youtubevideo for PUBG for example; https://youtu.be/0wpokGq-KbMhe shows this difference.
On his monitor it looks extreme, but for us people that watch the stream on Twitch it looks normal.
I think TGLTN still uses the XL2546K because he likes to play on passtrough mode to his capture card on his streampc. Passtrough is capped at 240hz cause of the HDMI 2.0 in-and-outputs capture cards have ( HDMI 2.0 is max 240hz), 360hz can only be done streaming with mirroring the screen in the NIVDIA control panel, what can cause small lag from my understanding.

The game itself and therefore the Zowie monitors are only about the rush of fragging a other player in FPS games. Has 0% to do with immersion in the surroundings of a game. If I had a setting to play against matchstick men to win a game, I would do it.
If u don't have this exact mindset, I am not sure if this is the best choice.

But It's still a good monitor if u like default colors and default vibrance cause of the Dyac and low input lag. But not the best.
If money is not a issue, the IPS ASUS 1440P 360hz PG27AQN (with the just released ULMB 2 firmware) would probably be better in that scenario. Or the OLED ASUS 1440P 240hz PG27AQDM cause of the insane immersion OLED provides. (both have a switch to switch between 24,5" and 26,5" that is pretty cool too)
Hello friend, thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately the PG27AQN is very expensive in my country, and I wouldn't use its full resolution and I prefer 24 inch monitors, although I imagine the ULMB2 must be amazing. I think I'll wait for the XL2566k to be released at the end of this month to see the price, if it really is double the price of the XL2546K I don't know if it would be worth it. Here I also find the XG2431, but it is the same price as the XL2546k, and based on the values ​​practiced in the US, it would not be worth it, as it is cheaper than the Benq. The XL2546K is at the best price I've seen to date, but I'm afraid of regretting with that feeling of buying something from the "last generation" with the launch of the XL2566K, and it being much worse.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jun 2023, 12:56

neeonez wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 14:59
At 240hz, 144hz and 120hz (all DYAC+ and VSYNC ON) I get a consistent micro stuttering. I also experience it without DYAC, but it's less noticeable (slightly blurry on dark textures, but I have to say the monitor does a great job even without DYAC, being the top 1 screen I have tried in this aspect).

The only combination I did not get stuttering at all was at 360hz with or without DYAC+, even when getting 260 fps.
It's your mouse's fault in some ways, not monitor, see:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9785
Images showing jitter even at only 1000 Hz.

This will be best for uncapped VSYNC OFF situations, such as esports, but will never look as amazing as VSYNC ON framerate=Hz full screen exclusive single monitor mode (multi monitor temporarily disabled) with a 2000Hz+ mouse.

There are good reasons to stay at 360Hz, but if you want to get even smoother, you need:
1. High poll rate (above 1000)
2. High DPI
3. Low in-game sensitivity

Even 1000Hz is not enough for a mouse, if you are smoothness-priority.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hyyliiight

Post by hyyliiight » 19 Jun 2023, 03:21

What would you recommend to set the Monitor if i am playing PUBG? Fps 1% Lows around 120 and most of the time around 220?

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 19 Jun 2023, 03:51

hyyliiight wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 03:21
What would you recommend to set the Monitor if i am playing PUBG? Fps 1% Lows around 120 and most of the time around 220?
If I was you I'd use Adaptive Sync ON paired with AMA High.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

ftwknx

Post by ftwknx » 03 Jul 2023, 11:26

I noticed a problem with my monitor: if I go to color -> color temperature -> user define and put Blue on 100, in videos where the sky can be seen (or anything blue actually) there are some weird pixelated artifacts showing. Seems to affect wallpaper as well, and even games. Do you also have that problem or is that a problem with my unit only?

Foxyy

Post by Foxyy » 11 Jul 2023, 22:41

Hey, it's a bit off topic but since yesterday I have a dead midge in my XL2566K screen

Does anyone know if there is a way to remove it without sending it in warranty ?