ZOWIE XL2566K Discussion Thread [24.5" 360hz TN]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
pinginu

Re: ZOWIE XL2566K Discussion Thread [24.5" 360hz TN]

Post by pinginu » 04 Jan 2023, 07:04

axaro1 wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 10:19
I can't get inside the service menu, I'm pressing joystick + power button but it doesn't work.

I'm using a refurbished unit, batch is dated September 2022. Any idea?
my device is from September and it works. Switched off before then the combination joystick and power off?

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 04 Jan 2023, 09:07

pinginu wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 07:04
my device is from September and it works. Switched off before then the combination joystick and power off?
Yes, I switch off the monitor before trying this combination. I tried to reset and power cycle but it didn't make any difference.

I leaning towards BenQ support flashing a firmware with no access to the service menu or perhaps disabled access in some other way (maybe this unit was sent back because the firmware was corrupted, no idea).
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

pinginu

Post by pinginu » 04 Jan 2023, 09:21

axaro1 wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 09:07
pinginu wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 07:04
Yes, I switch off the monitor before trying this combination. I tried to reset and power cycle but it didn't make any difference.

I leaning towards BenQ support flashing a firmware with no access to the service menu or perhaps disabled access in some other way (maybe this unit was sent back because the firmware was corrupted, no idea).
write to support or simply exchange it.

Grasshopper24

Post by Grasshopper24 » 04 Jan 2023, 14:54

The Rtings review is up; I don’t think anyone over there games competitively. In the comparisons they claim the AW2521h is better as well as the aw2521hf offering a “similar experience”.

Regardless, I enjoy their reviews solely for the metrics and numbers they provide.

Edit: I also never understood the fascination with viewing angles for a small gaming monitor. There will never be a situation in which I’m not staring directly at the screen…

hkngo007

Post by hkngo007 » 05 Jan 2023, 04:10

Rtings used method 1.2 on this monitor which measures response times with VRR on... therefore their results aren't that great imo for the target audience of the monitor as majority will probably not use vrr.

Tftcentral shows the results for this monitor as well so its worth checking it out. Vrr on response times are slower vs fixed refresh rate.

I have unsubed from rtings due to their new methodology (lazy imo) and preference for 0 overshoot.

Hoping hardware unboxed reviews this monitor too.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 05 Jan 2023, 05:16

hkngo007 wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 04:10
Rtings used method 1.2 on this monitor which measures response times with VRR on... therefore their results aren't that great imo for the target audience of the monitor as majority will probably not use vrr.
They must of missed it. I'm sure they'll take a note if someone contacts them about it. Usually they measure both VRR OFF and ON if there is a difference in the overdrive.

Example AW2521HF: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... e-aw2521hf
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

pinginu

Post by pinginu » 05 Jan 2023, 10:39

is the monitor worth it at all, shouldn't you use dyac plus?

Grasshopper24

Post by Grasshopper24 » 06 Jan 2023, 00:43

So I received this monitor today and have been using it for a few hours after toying around with the settings.

I’m amazed at how much bullshit is spewed online about TN panels. This is my first TN panel and the in game experience (color wise) is very similar to the acer 390hz, if not better since the colors don’t blend in and spotting enemies is easier. My Pg279qm obviously has more vibrant colors but for gaming this is more than sufficient.

I guess if you’re doing color accuracy dependent work, this monitor would not cut it, obviously.

My eyes also do not feel tired after staring at the screen for hours, an issue I had with the acer monitor.

The overall experience is really nice on games that can push high fps and I haven’t even used dyac yet. The image is already very clean in game and I no longer feel like there’s a blurry mess when I’m firing weapons and tracking targets. Had I known TN panels were like this I wouldve got one sooner.
I’m guessing if you have an ips panel and tn panel that both have similar response time averages, the TN will still look cleaner in game due to the dark rise and fall being faster. This is just my guess so I could be wrong but I feel having a fast response time for dark colors helps see enemies easier.

Lesson learned, never blindly believe people online. Most of the time people spread whatever they hear from someone else or just say things that make them justify their own purchases. The best way to be sure about what tech is the best for your use case is to try it for yourself.

Overall very impressed with this for FPS games. Only thing that caught me off guard is there seems to be very slight coil whine like sound coming from where the power cable is plugged in. Like a faint buzzing. Only hear it when I press my ear close but still surprised me as I didn’t think monitors could have this as all my previous monitors did not.

Edit: Could this be a defective unit? I’ve read online other people have also heard the coil whine like sound on multiple copies. It’s faint but still noticeable when my room and pc are quiet.

pinginu

Post by pinginu » 06 Jan 2023, 05:18

Grasshopper24 wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 00:43
So I received this monitor today and have been using it for a few hours after toying around with the settings.

I’m amazed at how much bullshit is spewed online about TN panels. This is my first TN panel and the in game experience (color wise) is very similar to the acer 390hz, if not better since the colors don’t blend in and spotting enemies is easier. My Pg279qm obviously has more vibrant colors but for gaming this is more than sufficient.

I guess if you’re doing color accuracy dependent work, this monitor would not cut it, obviously.

My eyes also do not feel tired after staring at the screen for hours, an issue I had with the acer monitor.

The overall experience is really nice on games that can push high fps and I haven’t even used dyac yet. The image is already very clean in game and I no longer feel like there’s a blurry mess when I’m firing weapons and tracking targets. Had I known TN panels were like this I wouldve got one sooner.
I’m guessing if you have an ips panel and tn panel that both have similar response time averages, the TN will still look cleaner in game due to the dark rise and fall being faster. This is just my guess so I could be wrong but I feel having a fast response time for dark colors helps see enemies easier.

Lesson learned, never blindly believe people online. Most of the time people spread whatever they hear from someone else or just say things that make them justify their own purchases. The best way to be sure about what tech is the best for your use case is to try it for yourself.

Overall very impressed with this for FPS games. Only thing that caught me off guard is there seems to be very slight coil whine like sound coming from where the power cable is plugged in. Like a faint buzzing. Only hear it when I press my ear close but still surprised me as I didn’t think monitors could have this as all my previous monitors did not.

Edit: Could this be a defective unit? I’ve read online other people have also heard the coil whine like sound on multiple copies. It’s faint but still noticeable when my room and pc are quiet.
I also have a bit of coil whine. I have another problem that it resets the profiles. Don't know if it's due to dyac plus and adaptive syn.

Gamer 1 dyac on
Gamer 2 dyac off
Gamer 3 adaptive syn

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 06 Jan 2023, 12:51

I would like to emphasize that this panel is by far the most sensitive to temperature among the monitors that I tested.

Running a Ufotest with Dyac right after switching on this monitor compared to when the panel finished warming up (~40mins) can result in drastically different results.

What Crosstalk Area settings are you guys using with the Blur Busters Strobe Calibration Utility?
I find the best results with 25 after experimenting with 15 for a few weeks.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he