ZOWIE XL2566K Discussion Thread [24.5" 360hz TN]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Discorz
VIP Member

Re: ZOWIE XL2566K Discussion Thread [24.5" 360hz TN]

Post by Discorz » 10 Jan 2023, 11:11

axaro1 wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 09:46
Oh you did the pursuits!? It must of been real hard to track such high speeds. Thank you for doing these. I didn't think of doing the test this way as it was intended for direct readouts by eye, but I guess you can pursuit the pattern too.

Latest version of Smooth Frog has almost identical Sync Track as TestUFO. You can toggle it with mouse wheel click or in menu and move it up/down by holding right mouse click and dragging the mouse. Moving patterns can be quite irritating to the eye but you can pause/play the movement with space key. Smooth Frog is amazing!

If tracked accurately, from these pursuits we can see at value of 1 persistence is between 0.5 and 0.75 (probably Premium default of 0.6ms). At 10 it's is closer to 0.5 ms. But its hard to say exactly because of overexposure. 10+ goes even lower, anything bellow 0.5 would require even faster panning speeds. If you want to plot out full MPRT spectrum like in the chart above you can use lower refresh rates to move the line meeting point backwards. For example if DyAc Premium is fixed 23% duty cycle, at 360Hz MPRT is 0.6ms, that would make 120Hz about 1.9ms MPRT. By testing few refresh rates (120-240-360) you can extract the average duty cycle.

It's absolutely possible to measure the persistence accurate enough without tools. We're only being limited by horizontal resolution.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

schizobeyondpills

Post by schizobeyondpills » 11 Jan 2023, 20:55

i have this monitor atm and for me best settings are AMA on 21, i dont notice any overshoot/ghosting in any game or even simple things like tracking scenarios, i was using 12,15,16 and decided to try higher even though all reviews say that 12/15 is best, they are all wrong, 18+ is when this monitor truly comes alive, test in actual games not in some artificial specialized scenario,in game is what matters, i highly suggest that you turn off Eco mode since its enabled by default, also DO NOT use backlight strobing even for 1 minute (at any settings) it causes insane levels of headache(irrelevant if you can feel/perceive it or not) and BFI is clearly visible for me and i can perceive it just as clear as frames, its so bad that when i went to bed and closed my eyes i was still strobing for good 30 minutes, also make sure to lower porches and sync as much as possible with CRU (and test positive/negative polarity instead of positive/positive this is what i use

also not sure how good DP/hdmi cables provided with monitors are, i highly suggest optical DP or HDMI (if you have AMD GPU then make sure to use DP and put voltage swing and pre emphasis to 2/2 on both). as to why you should listen to me, i'm rank 5 on aim400kg tracking hard scenario. proof:

Grasshopper24

Post by Grasshopper24 » 12 Jan 2023, 17:39

schizobeyondpills wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 20:55
i have this monitor atm and for me best settings are AMA on 21, i dont notice any overshoot/ghosting in any game or even simple things like tracking scenarios, i was using 12,15,16 and decided to try higher even though all reviews say that 12/15 is best, they are all wrong, 18+ is when this monitor truly comes alive, test in actual games not in some artificial specialized scenario,in game is what matters, i highly suggest that you turn off Eco mode since its enabled by default, also DO NOT use backlight strobing even for 1 minute (at any settings) it causes insane levels of headache(irrelevant if you can feel/perceive it or not) and BFI is clearly visible for me and i can perceive it just as clear as frames, its so bad that when i went to bed and closed my eyes i was still strobing for good 30 minutes, also make sure to lower porches and sync as much as possible with CRU (and test positive/negative polarity instead of positive/positive this is what i use

also not sure how good DP/hdmi cables provided with monitors are, i highly suggest optical DP or HDMI (if you have AMD GPU then make sure to use DP and put voltage swing and pre emphasis to 2/2 on both). as to why you should listen to me, i'm rank 5 on aim400kg tracking hard scenario. proof:

I tried AMA 20 + after using 12-15 and wow the monitor feels VERY fast. In valorant with uncapped fps (360+ all times) I’ve pushed it to 25 without any noticeable artifacts in game. Dyac on premium with AMA 20+ really is a treat for the eyes. Luckily I don’t get headaches from BFI.

YouTube reviews recommend settings that look best on the UFO tests.. not necessarily what performs/feels best in game.

schizobeyondpills

Post by schizobeyondpills » 12 Jan 2023, 20:10

Yeah reviewers dont even disable C-states or lock GPU clocks/voltage.. this monitor really becomes fast on 20+ AMA and using CRU to lower porches/sync

DrDave

Post by DrDave » 13 Jan 2023, 12:36

Is the cru utility to lower the porches/sync only necessary with vsync? Using AMA 21 with dyac premium in ow2 capped at 360fps (stays there most of the game, just want to limit heat), everything looks great but I don't use vsync typically.

schizobeyondpills

Post by schizobeyondpills » 13 Jan 2023, 19:53

Use RTSS to cap framerate instead of vsync, make sure to go to "Setup" and uncheck "Enable passive waiting"
image-2023-01-14-015155380.png
image-2023-01-14-015155380.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 4497 times

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 14 Jan 2023, 08:04

schizobeyondpills wrote:
also make sure to lower porches and sync as much as possible with CRU (and test positive/negative polarity instead of positive/positive.., i highly suggest optical DP or HDMI

I started using AMA 21 after your post. In Apex it feels good on first sight. . Quake Live have to do some more experimentation. Thank you!

How important is it to lower the porches and sync if u already use DYAC? ( I don't get headaches from it) in Apex capped at 297 fps and Quake Live capped at 220 fps with RivaTuner?
I never really used CRU ( tried it twice for 10 minutes to make some custom resolution) so i don't have a clue what u mean with lowering the porches or sync!

Can u please clarify? Hope to hear from u!

PS from my knowledge HDMI does not support 360hz. Only DP does.
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

schizobeyondpills

Post by schizobeyondpills » 15 Jan 2023, 03:23

daviddave1 wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 08:04
schizobeyondpills wrote:
also make sure to lower porches and sync as much as possible with CRU (and test positive/negative polarity instead of positive/positive.., i highly suggest optical DP or HDMI

I started using AMA 21 after your post. In Apex it feels good on first sight. . Quake Live have to do some more experimentation. Thank you!

How important is it to lower the porches and sync if u already use DYAC? ( I don't get headaches from it) in Apex capped at 297 fps and Quake Live capped at 220 fps with RivaTuner?
I never really used CRU ( tried it twice for 10 minutes to make some custom resolution) so i don't have a clue what u mean with lowering the porches or sync!

its very important, by default the extra porches are massive, like 10-30% above your monitor resolution.. Chief wrote a good post explaining it viewtopic.php?t=3248

so if your porches are 270px thats an additional 1.7ms of delay..
porches.png
porches.png (102.54 KiB) Viewed 4249 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2023, 02:06

While large VTs can cause a backlight to strobe a bit earlier --

The sync technology configured also can yield further lag reductions. Microsoft Windows VSYNC ON does Present() at beginning of VBI, while lag reductions from QFT requires Present() to unblock at end of VBI. The most common workaround is RTSS Scanline Sync but Special K Latent Sync can do it too, to realize QFT lag reductions.

Basically unblock the frame presentation as late as possible, to allow the next input read to occur closer to the next VBI, reducing input lag between inputread and the GPU render that will be displayed to human eyes.

Also, QFT has no (averaged-out) lag reductions for unstrobed VSYNC OFF, since random tearing can occur anytime over the refresh interval (in VBI or out of VBI). So realizing lag reductions from QFT requires something that delays photon visibility (either the sync technology or the strobe technology, or a combination of both) will however hugely benefit from QFT (Large VT) tricks, via either earlier backlight flash (strobe tech) and/or more inputdelayed frame Present()-atation.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 16 Jan 2023, 15:15

schizobeyondpills wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 03:23
daviddave1 wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 08:04
schizobeyondpills wrote:

its very important, by default the extra porches are massive, like 10-30% above your monitor resolution.. Chief wrote a good post explaining it viewtopic.php?t=3248

so if your porches are 270px thats an additional 1.7ms of delay..
porches.png

Thank you! I have to do some more research to find out exactly what u e mean. But I am happy again with the information you shared.

Can u please share the exact details ( including the porches data) u are using in the custom resolution u made in CRU? I can use that as a starting point. Hope to hear from you!
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K