ZOWIE XL2566K Discussion Thread [24.5" 360hz TN]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
catbug

Re: ZOWIE XL2566K Discussion Thread [24.5" 360hz TN]

Post by catbug » 31 Mar 2023, 14:56

Grasshopper24 wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 03:14

What AMA setting are you using? Did you try running 240fps at 360hz? For apex I run uncapped FPS and 360hz with AMA set to 15.

With dyac on I tried 240hz, 240fps cap, AMA 8 but the image felt more jittery than the 360hz setup without dyac.
Thanks for the reply grasshopper. I guess you decided on the xl2566k over the vg258qm you were testing then?

I should've included that I had been hopping around AMA 12 and 15. After I posted last night, I downloaded CSGO and played a few games of deathmatch on 360hz with dyac on and really liked it. It's a shame that I can't replicate that experience in apex. If nothing else, it's confirmed that the panel is fine. I guess it's either apex itself or my lack of frames in the game that make it feel yucky... maybe I should pick a better game to main lmao

I'll give the ol' default "plug it in and play the game" a go with my games this weekend, as well as maybe try a hz=fps=strobe cap with a lower AMA setting like you tried and see what I think of it.
Although, to be honest, I think I'm pretty frame cap pilled as well as potentially VRR pilled. So, I might end up swapping this out for the viewsonic... maybe even going back to my vg259qm.

Ziehesh

Post by Ziehesh » 01 Apr 2023, 08:22

Why i cant get 182 hz on cru on this monitor? Who know how i can get 1728 and 182 hz on this? I tried it on cru but this res Not displayed
Xl 2546

max322

Post by max322 » 11 Apr 2023, 21:26

Can someone confirm if the xl2566k has fixed persistence or not? i cant really tell if adjusting it with bbcu makes a deference and afraid im loosing brightness for nothing . the crosstalk area is obvious .

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Apr 2023, 01:11

max322 wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 21:26
Can someone confirm if the xl2566k has fixed persistence or not? i cant really tell if adjusting it with bbcu makes a deference and afraid im loosing brightness for nothing . the crosstalk area is obvious .
Try turning off the built-in TestUFO and using www.testufo.com/map at about 3000 pixels/sec.

Then sub-1ms persistence adjustments on many BenQs do become visible!

Now that being said, some earlier BenQs did have a bug where strobe duty cycle did nothing; however I don't think this is the case for the XL2566K. It's just so clear, at 360Hz, that you need extremely fast motion (3000 pixels/sec) of extremely fine text like 6-point text of a scrolling map.

This will be more visible in some games than others, so YMMV. In CS:GO, the sub-1ms persistence benefits are generally not visible, but with an RTSS Scanline Sync'd DOTA2 (custom ultra low latency framerate=Hz technology) then these improvements can become visible.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

max322

Post by max322 » 12 Apr 2023, 03:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
12 Apr 2023, 01:11
max322 wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 21:26
Try turning off the built-in TestUFO and using www.testufo.com/map at about 3000 pixels/sec.

Then sub-1ms persistence adjustments on many BenQs do become visible!

Now that being said, some earlier BenQs did have a bug where strobe duty cycle did nothing; however I don't think this is the case for the XL2566K. It's just so clear, at 360Hz, that you need extremely fast motion (3000 pixels/sec) of extremely fine text like 6-point text of a scrolling map.

This will be more visible in some games than others, so YMMV. In CS:GO, the sub-1ms persistence benefits are generally not visible, but with an RTSS Scanline Sync'd DOTA2 (custom ultra low latency framerate=Hz technology) then these improvements can become visible.
Such an honor Chief im a big fan btw :)

what you suggested was indeed better at noticing the adjustments thank you.
imo its already good @ 10 persistence but improves even further @ 13 persistence without much dimming.
and for crosstalk id recommend a value from ( 20 -30 ) because it lowers the clearest area to the center . not that im saying the default 15 is bad but it really depends on the users preference.

im using scanline sync + vsync = off + back edge mode (tear calibrated outside the visible area) . and its working great
i found that ( front edge and back edge) worked best for me.
even with vsync on its still had good latency (especially with back edge)

in terms of response time. id recommend a setting from (8-18) (0 overshoot - very fast with acceptable overshoot if any )
the range is because its really strange how in 3d games there is no overshoot at all in most games ( that reach the 360 fps in all if not most of the time) its at a point that i go all the way up to 30 before really noticing anything which puzzles me.
why on 2d its verry obvious but not at some 3d games .

as for cru ... from my understanding they did a good job already with the timing having a high vtotal configured .

any recommendation on such a setup Chief ? :D

Best Regards

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Apr 2023, 03:35

While I knew about this, I'm somewhat surprised that BenQ is letting you use slightly larger VT's at 360Hz -- there is very tight margins there.

I doubt that you will get visibly better than that. You could probably try to decrease your Horizontal a little further (to 8 pixel each for the blankings, for a total of 1944 pixel Horizontal Total). This gives you enough bandwidth to push the Vertical Total higher and get the necessary faster horizontal scanrate. But this will probably have negligible increase in the percentage of QFT acceleration.

Further improvements at this point will now be nitpicking sub-1% improvements at this stage.

At this point, you're picking the optimization tree completely dry. 360fps 360Hz Scanline Sync'd DyAc+ on a XL2566K is a motion quality dream if your game can successfully work with that -- that requires serious GPU as Scanline Sync requires more GPU headroom than without. Most people aren't even patient enough to tweak the most complex sync technologies (Scanline Sync).

But if it is working, you probably fix your strobe jitters that way and are currently getting "TestUFO-perfect smoothness but IN-GAME" results in your supported games!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

max322

Post by max322 » 12 Apr 2023, 16:49

understood . thank you .

paradox404

Post by paradox404 » 14 Apr 2023, 11:29

I want to buy this monitor but use it at 240Hz with dyac, my question is will I get better motion clarity than 2546k? Does the panel difference b/w the two monitors matter?

max322

Post by max322 » 15 Apr 2023, 12:10

paradox404 wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 11:29
I want to buy this monitor but use it at 240Hz with dyac, my question is will I get better motion clarity than 2546k? Does the panel difference b/w the two monitors matter?
the fact that you can change the overdrive and the brightness easily within its osd alone is tempting :D.
for me im surprised that i forget its a TN because its colors and angles are good enough although its right between 2 ips monitors :lol: .
but the main upgrade reason is obviously its 360hz refresh rate.
so if your pc isn't capable of handling such high refresh rate. on you're go to games (some games wont hit that number even with a high end pc ) then i wouldn't bother tbh.
specially if you have the xl2546k the deference between them is justified with the high refresh rate.
check out this compression on ratings https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/co ... #test_1425

quake3

Post by quake3 » 06 May 2023, 19:27

If I have an XG2401, is this a legit update, or should I wait for better monitors?

I only play QL, which is capped at 250 fps for some reason, and QW, which I run at 308 fps. That's about it. Other games are secondary to me performance wise. I just would like better color. I have not tried other TN monitors beside the previous one (2233rz). I don't remember if 2233rz had better colors, but this panel is extremely dull there. I cannot watch movies or play dark single player games. So I have been waiting for years if 24"-25" OLEDs finally came out, but it's still too early. I've read about fast IPS, and there's still ghosting, people having discomfort etc, and I don't wanna gamble since im sensitive to these changes. As much as I liked CRTs, since I switched to TN's they are so easy on the eyes, so that I like, but the colors man, they suck.
All things considered my idea was to look at whatever best performance TN panel out there and so I found this monitor. Now the question is, are the colors an upgrade from what I have now? And peformance wise, is it a legit update if you don't use any of these trickeries? (g-sync this, dyac that, and other accronims, which im sure some add input lag, some remove input lag but cause headaches if you are sensitive etc, so my idea is just to run it raw). Also considerind that, what would be the best setups for QL's 250fps max, and QW?

For QW, I found this:
2) MONITOR'S REFRESHRATE

The higher the better, it's that simple. You can try syncing the refreshrate with your maxfps but it doesn't really matter as long as you run at least 150Hz or more. Even lower refreshrates work pretty good, so if your monitor doesn't support 150Hz, even 100Hz can be enough, though not as good. If you can't get at least 150Hz but are limited to 100Hz only, then you should try to match fps that is close to a multiplication of that refreshrate, for example 308fps is close to 100Hz * 3 and so on.
Basically, run the monitor at the highest hz, simple. But with QL, is it different due the engine? should I run it at 240hz, or 360hz?

If this monitor has better colors, and has a relevant amount of improvements in terms of motion clarity without any drawbacks, and improves on screen tearing (I was playing Doom 2 right now and it's specially noticeable when you slowly turn to the sides, specially on this game where there is no Y mouse axis) then I would be interested. Again, assuming the colors are better, performance is better while not having to allow weird stuff (gsync, strobbing hacks and whatnot)

I would really like to decide on this thing since i've been looking to update for years now. Every 1 or 2 years I just check out what's been released, and conclude I should just wait OneMoreYearTM for the end-all-be-all good ole' OLED.
Last edited by quake3 on 09 May 2023, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.