HOWTO: Settings For Full Panel Crosstalk-Free Low-Lag Strobing (ViewSonic XG2431)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: HOWTO: Settings For Full Panel Crosstalk-Free Low-Lag Strobing (ViewSonic XG2431)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2023, 02:20

Try using the brand new ToastyX Vertical Total Calculator -- that works more reliably.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Angel Soler

Re: HOWTO: Settings For Full Panel Crosstalk-Free Low-Lag Strobing (ViewSonic XG2431)

Post by Angel Soler » 16 Mar 2023, 04:22

Is saving this custom resolution in the custom PureXP+ able to be used on consoles like PS4 or is QFT PC exclusive only?
[/quote]

Does this only work on PC, or does it also work on consoles?

I have bought the Leo Bodnar Test, and I have discovered that the XG2431 has 16.8 ms of Input Lag in the center of the screen, with perfectly calibrated strobe mode.
I would like to reduce that input lag with QFT , if it were possible to do it on consoles.

By the way, the XL 2411p has 15 ms with the strobe mode calibrated.

witega

Post by witega » 16 Mar 2023, 09:53

Well after doing some more reading, QFT can only be done on PCs or video scalers. Which makes sense since you are creating a custom resolution that is sending a non-standard 60hz signal to the display.

So unfortunately, consoles are out of luck when it comes to more pronounced crosstalk on the top and bottom.

Once you dial in QFT on a PC, the result is absolutely glorious. This might finally scratch that CRT itch without the CRT drawbacks too.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2023, 19:51

Correct. Consoles aren't currently able to do QFT.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2023, 20:26

Angel Soler wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 04:22
I have bought the Leo Bodnar Test, and I have discovered that the XG2431 has 16.8 ms of Input Lag in the center of the screen, with perfectly calibrated strobe mode.
Keep in mind that Leo Bodnar is a "60Hz VSYNC ON" lag test, more ideal for testing suitability for console use, than for PC esports use (high Hz VSYNC OFF).

Now here's a tip, in case you want to sacrifice a bit of strobe quality to reduce lag:

If you move the crosstalk band right above screen centre, versus right below screen centre, you will notice dramatic differences in lag. Latency is lowest right above a crosstalk band, and highest right below a crosstalk band.

Now that's also why you want to move the crosstalk band ideally to right below the bottom edge of screen, rather than right above the top edge of the screen.

QFT is magical because you can hit two birds with one stone; reduce strobe lag AND reduce strobe crosstalk. More headroom between refresh cycles to finish LCD GtG unseen by human eyes, and more headroom to move the strobe closer to the refresh cycle. If you can tolerate a very faint amount of strobe crosstalk peeking up from bottom edge, you will be able to get a few milliseconds less lag. If you can add QFT to the strobe (on a QFT compatible monitor), you can pretty much eliminate this.

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 17 Mar 2023, 01:25

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 20:26
Angel Soler wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 04:22
Keep in mind that Leo Bodnar is a "60Hz VSYNC ON" lag test, more ideal for testing suitability for console use, than for PC esports use (high Hz VSYNC OFF).

Now here's a tip, in case you want to sacrifice a bit of strobe quality to reduce lag:

If you move the crosstalk band right above screen centre, versus right below screen centre, you will notice dramatic differences in lag. Latency is lowest right above a crosstalk band, and highest right below a crosstalk band.

Now that's also why you want to move the crosstalk band ideally to right below the bottom edge of screen, rather than right above the top edge of the screen.

QFT is magical because you can hit two birds with one stone; reduce strobe lag AND reduce strobe crosstalk. More headroom between refresh cycles to finish LCD GtG unseen by human eyes, and more headroom to move the strobe closer to the refresh cycle. If you can tolerate a very faint amount of strobe crosstalk peeking up from bottom edge, you will be able to get a few milliseconds less lag. If you can add QFT to the strobe (on a QFT compatible monitor), you can pretty much eliminate this.
That's how it is. I've noticed that tip.
But I would like both: the highest image clarity and the lowest Input Lag.
The truth is that every time I have more clear that I have to make the leap to the world of the PC. I've been a console player all my life, from Atari, MSX, Spectrum. But, nowadays, practically all the games come out on PC and with the possibility of configuring what you want to your liking.
And now also, if you want minimum lag and maximum clarity, the only way is through the PC.
The only problem is Nintendo, that their games are exclusive and my favorite game is the Zelda saga.
I am hopeful for future OLED monitors that are Blur Buster certified.

Thank you very much, Chief, for answering me.

Shing0

Post by Shing0 » 17 Mar 2023, 13:38

I tried to find a sweet spot for 120hz but there is always crosstalk behind ufo. Oh well back to default settings.

I wanted to see if I can see a difference in game. I didn't notice the difference in ufo test. It's much better in game. There is no crosstalk topside of the screen anymore.

Now crosstalk is at the bottom of the screen. Brightness seems similar. Extreme preset looks better. Bottom distracts me more than top.

witega

Post by witega » 19 Mar 2023, 14:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 02:20
Try using the brand new ToastyX Vertical Total Calculator -- that works more reliably.
Hi Chief, I did try this as well. I did two things with that calculator: 1) tried modifying the existing 240hz profile in the extension block area. 2) created a custom resolution at 240hz and then changed the refresh to 60hz. 3) tried copying the existing 240hz profile in extension block, pasting it in the "detailed resolution" section and modifying it from there, and also deleting any existing profile in the "detailed resolution" section (which was only a 60hz one).

Both of them did not work and gave a black screen, assuming its out of range.

The horizontal frequency seems internally hardcapped at 255khz (eventhough the existing 240hz profile exceeds that horizontal frequency). You can edit that value higher, but it still doesn't work.

I wonder if maybe there was a firmware change to the monitor that limited the range output? Maybe there's a Nvidia issue (I'm using a Nvidia GPU)? Maybe the EDID's that Toasty provides in CRU are inaccurate?

Also in Nvidia Control Panel, when you go to the "Change resolution" tab. You have two resolution options for "Ultra HD, HD, SD" and "PC". So you could select the 1920x1080p resolution under "Ultra HD, HD, SD", change the refresh rate to 60hz (or 59hz which shows as a drop down option) or you could choose that same resolution and refresh rate under "PC" only after you've entered in the custom profile in CRU and restarted the driver.

I've tried selecting either resolution option and neither work.

One interesting thing with resetting the values in CRU and restarting the graphics driver is that it defaults your screen at 60hz, instead of the max refresh rate at 240hz.

I've tried every combination I could think of. I also tried using an HDMI cable to see if that would fix the problem, but same thing. Honestly does HDMI 2.0 even support QFT, I thought it was only until HDMI 2.1 where you got that support. But XG42431 doesn't support HDMI 2.1.

Shing0

Post by Shing0 » 20 Mar 2023, 10:57

I followed the guide step by step, total vertical doesn't change. It's always 1125. I wanted to try sekiro 60hz. :(

Tried 239hz instead of 240. Now it shows 4481 vertical total on 60hz. Btw display was set @10bit on amd software. I read somewhere that this display is 8bit I don't why it detects it as 10bit.

Tried to do 120hz didn't work either so I selected 119hz instead of 120hz and then selected 119hz on windows setting it worked that way.

This solved crosstalk top side of the screen and other spots as well @119hz. 2259 vertical lines on strobe utility. I am still testing but this is really amazing no more distractions and eye hurts.

I am still not sure how it worked. Was having black screen like you guys while trying to get 60hz strobe. Try these exact settings, see if it works for you.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-21 162953.png
Screenshot 2023-03-21 162953.png (69.24 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 02 Apr 2023, 16:39

Hello everyone!!

I am a lifelong console gamer, but in the end I have decided to buy a powerful PC.
I have the XG 2431, and I think it's the best way to get its full potential.

Measured with the Leo Bodnar Test, the XG 2431 has 16.8 ms at 60 hz, in the custom configuration more in favor of low input lag.

My question is, in case anyone knows: How many milliseconds can I download using the Quick Frame Transport?
Because I understand that with QFT, I would have less lag at 60hz, right?

Thank you so much for help me

greetings to all