HOWTO: Settings For Full Panel Crosstalk-Free Low-Lag Strobing (ViewSonic XG2431)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
michaelcycle00

Re: HOWTO: Settings For Full Panel Crosstalk-Free Low-Lag Strobing (ViewSonic XG2431)

Post by michaelcycle00 » 18 Oct 2022, 03:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 22:51
michaelcycle00 wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 16:59
Chief, when are we gonna get a tutorial about QFT modes for the XL2566K (BenQ 360hz)? And how low do you reckon we could go with it? I'm guessing as low as 100hz but I don't know, I'd be satisfied with 120hz.
A generic QFT HOWTO is being created for the main Blur Busters website soon.

Usually you're simply using the new Vertical Total Calculator (QFT) in the new version of ToastyX. If you are already familiar with ToastyX, you just you load the max-Hz resolution, make sure it's already working, THEN you select "Vertical Total Calculator" and THEN edit the refresh rate directly.

For ToastyX CRU veterans, it's really now just a 3-step procedure. Voila! ToastyX does the rest automatically, no need for manual calculations anymore, no trial-and-error, it just automagically computes a working VT.

For ToastyX CRU newbies, it's harder though.
Awesome, and yeah I'm not really familiar with ToastyX. But that's fine, with the help of your guides getting around it can't be that hard.

My only pickle is in regards to how low we're gonna be able to go strobed with the XL2566K really, everything else is doable. I'm not expecting 60hz single strobe, but 75-80hz would be nice. Also, what would it take for you to work in collaboration with BenQ? Sure they got the competitive side down with high-refresh, strobed and bright monitors, but I think they'd really benefit from making DyAc+ more versatile, where you guys would come in handy.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: HOWTO: Settings For Full Panel Crosstalk-Free Low-Lag Strobing (ViewSonic XG2431)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Oct 2022, 23:33

michaelcycle00 wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 03:13
My only pickle is in regards to how low we're gonna be able to go strobed with the XL2566K really, everything else is doable. I'm not expecting 60hz single strobe, but 75-80hz would be nice
Most recent BenQs have a 100Hz minimum strobe frequency -- the XL2546 series do.

Unfortunately, I don't think XL2566K has a lower minimum strobe frequency.

As for BenQ, I have asked if they were interested. Currently they are not interested, as they're hyperfocussed on esports specialization.

They even publicly said "a specification loaded product is not our goal :)" (in this reddit post). So they don't want a "specification-packed" monitor, with features outside their esports purview

It's understandable by a business standpoint, but their panel are literally (THIS) close to officially being Blur Busters Approved, but they haven't opted in to that programme. For XL2546 series, they have all the DCC settings usable in Strobe Utility (especially with INI file edits), except lower Hz and OD Gain, plus the logo license. Plus, the 360Hz panel is so fast, that I'm sure some superlative strobe tuning might make it crosstalk-free at 150-240Hz with QFT/Large VT, who knows? Unfortunately, without access to OD Gain concurrently with Pulse Width and Pulse Phase and QFT, it's going to be really tough... Though the Factory Menu may have an OD Gain that's adjustable during DyAc, so who knows?

Also long-term OD Gain can be done in software in a GPU shader (but needs a Windows Indirect Display Driver)

Maybe in the future; or a different monitor model (e.g. EX model)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 21 Oct 2022, 16:38

I would've expected that 240Hz mode capable of very good motion clarity would be something worthy for esport players.
I guess they'd need faster CPUs and 8000Hz mouses. And only in certain games.

Anyway. Really unfortunate and disappointing decission on behalf of Benq.

u2cyute

Post by u2cyute » 16 Dec 2022, 03:23

I've been trying to setup a QFT mode with my xg2431 but I've been getting black screens following the guide for the 60 Hz QFT mode. Some things to notes are that both my monitors go black when I use restart64, my xg2431 is a refurbished model, and I don't think I have any pre-existing 240 Hz EDIDs to modify; I only see the 60 Hz (148.50 Mhz) one. Also, I've attempted a mode with around 4000 vertical lines total but it still resulted in a black screen.

This is what CRU shows me on startup

And this is after I configure a 60 Hz QFT mode

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Dec 2022, 03:38

u2cyute wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 03:23
I've been trying to setup a QFT mode with my xg2431 but I've been getting black screens following the guide for the 60 Hz QFT mode. Some things to notes are that both my monitors go black when I use restart64, my xg2431 is a refurbished model, and I don't think I have any pre-existing 240 Hz EDIDs to modify; I only see the 60 Hz (148.50 Mhz) one. Also, I've attempted a mode with around 4000 vertical lines total but it still resulted in a black screen.
QFT won't work until you modify a preexisting mode.

1. Absolutely always make sure you have a working 240Hz mode;
2. Modify that to get QFT.

Finish step 1 before you proceed; if there's some issues, try looking in the CTA-861 area instead. Sometimes for some connections (HDMI vs DP) you have to go to a different screen to find your 240Hz EDID to modify.

EDID is a legacy cesspool of EDID, E-EDID, CEA-861, DisplayID, so sometimes the blocks are in a totally different part of ToastyX than you expect, especially if you disconnect DisplayPort and connect HDMI (or vice-versa).

If your XG2431 is not working at all at 240Hz, then focus on fixing that first...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

u2cyute

Post by u2cyute » 16 Dec 2022, 12:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 03:38
Finish step 1 before you proceed; if there's some issues, try looking in the CTA-861 area instead. Sometimes for some connections (HDMI vs DP) you have to go to a different screen to find your 240Hz EDID to modify.
I managed to find a 240 Hz EDID to modify in CTA-861 but after restarting, my vertical lines still showed 1125 in strobe utility. I'm not sure if the pre-existing 60 Hz in detailed resolutions is taking precedence over it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Dec 2022, 18:37

It's possible. Try deleting the 60 Hz mode.

(To reinstall orignal factory 60Hz, ToastyX reset-all.exe can restore your system to pre-ToastyX settings).

u2cyute

Post by u2cyute » 17 Dec 2022, 10:30

Triple checked it but deleting the existing 60 Hz mode still doesn't change the vertical lines so I'm at a loss for now.

sabman

Post by sabman » 04 Jan 2023, 01:40

I had the exact same issue with a 60hz black screen on my XG2431. I noticed the horizonal Khz is going "out of range" according to the range limits listed in the Detailed Resolution section. So I set it to the max value in range.

This allowed 60hz to work. At higher frequencies it seemed to work at 278khz etc, but not 60hz.

You should just be able to select the new resolution with high vertical totals in your Windows display settings once you restart.

The strobing at 60hz has very noticeable flicker for me though. It reminds me of the old days of seeing the same with 60hz CRTs. Usually I'd set it at 72hz at least. Maybe I'm sensitive to it. :(

witega

Post by witega » 16 Mar 2023, 00:34

Also wanted to chime in that I'm having exactly the same issue where it goes to a black screen. It seems I cannot get 4500 total vertical lines, and the max horizontal frequency is limited to 255khz. Either there's a newer firmware in the XG2431 preventing a higher frequency or something else.

Is saving this custom resolution in the custom PureXP+ able to be used on consoles like PS4 or is QFT PC exclusive only?