HOWTO: Settings For Full Panel Crosstalk-Free Low-Lag Strobing (ViewSonic XG2431)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Tbake

Re: HOWTO: Settings For Full Panel Crosstalk-Free Low-Lag Strobing (ViewSonic XG2431)

Post by Tbake » 04 May 2023, 10:06

Should I bother with tinkering 120hz-180hz ? Or just use extreme preset @240hz. I don't have any equipment to measure latency and I am not sure the difference would be significant enough between those settings. For competitive titles, like apex legends.

Btw the other day I booted the pc like always and scanlines appeared they didn't go unless I power off/on the xg2431. Happened 2 times any idea why it happens ? Thanks Chief.
I can give my Apex Legends personal experience with this monitor and using 7900 XTX and my 1080 TI in the past year of playing/testing. The 1080 TI at 120hz QFT looks better and is the same lag(which lag isn't as important as motion clarity for tracking players in apex) as 300fps 240hz. If you can strobe 240hz, i would suggest to just leave it uncapped and run at the 300 in game max.

120hz QTF with PureXP customized is worth the time if you are about motion clarity. The UFO test exaggerates the ghosting/crosstalk but ive been successful in not getting anything noticeable within game on my entire screen.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: HOWTO: Settings For Full Panel Crosstalk-Free Low-Lag Strobing (ViewSonic XG2431)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2023, 18:44

Shing0 wrote:
04 May 2023, 07:11
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 May 2023, 14:33
Laws of physics dictate that crosstalk is always worse at higher refresh rate than at lower refresh rate.

Alas, this affects all LCD panels. Even BenQ XL2546 and XL2566 looks clearer for framerate=Hz situations at 100fps 100Hz than at 240fps 240Hz.
Should I bother with tinkering 120hz-180hz ? Or just use extreme preset @240hz. I don't have any equipment to measure latency and I am not sure the difference would be significant enough between those settings. For competitive titles, like apex legends.
Depends on whether you're latency-priority or quality-priority.

Latency-priority: Use max-Hz
Crosstalkfree-priority: Use at least 2x-3x Hz headroom

It's also a continuum between the two, with various tweaks.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 04 May 2023, 19:48

Tbake wrote:
04 May 2023, 10:06

Btw the other day I booted the pc like always and scanlines appeared they didn't go unless I power off/on the xg2431. Happened 2 times any idea why it happens ? Thanks Chief.
I can give my Apex Legends personal experience with this monitor and using 7900 XTX and my 1080 TI in the past year of playing/testing. The 1080 TI at 120hz QFT looks better and is the same lag(which lag isn't as important as motion clarity for tracking players in apex) as 300fps 240hz. If you can strobe 240hz, i would suggest to just leave it uncapped and run at the 300 in game max.

120hz QTF with PureXP customized is worth the time if you are about motion clarity. The UFO test exaggerates the ghosting/crosstalk but ive been successful in not getting anything noticeable within game on my entire screen.
I don't understand why you wouldn't use the 7900 xtx but same 120hz qft? Unless that's powering some 4k gaming. The greater headroom here would in lower graphics card usage aids in reducing input lag, so you'd have the motion clarity of 120hz qft and less input lag than using the 1080.

Tbake

Post by Tbake » 05 May 2023, 09:32

Kuscheln_Hammer92 wrote:
04 May 2023, 19:48
Tbake wrote:
04 May 2023, 10:06

I don't understand why you wouldn't use the 7900 xtx but same 120hz qft? Unless that's powering some 4k gaming. The greater headroom here would in lower graphics card usage aids in reducing input lag, so you'd have the motion clarity of 120hz qft and less input lag than using the 1080.
I returned the 7900 mainly for the money, but also because i dont play anything that would comes near needing that much power.

You are correct to use the 7900 and i would still have been, but Shing0 was wondering if they should tweek the 240hz strobe.
Having direct experience I can say in Apex 120hz QTF looks better and is the same lag/delay as 240hz or even uncapped on the higher end card.
If under 100% usage there is no input penalty for the lower end card. Dropping can put me up to 99% but it never reaches past 80% while playing.
Player tracking/Motion Clarity is more important than the .02ms you might achieve running uncapped or 240hz strobed.

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 05 May 2023, 10:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 20:26
Angel Soler wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 04:22
I have bought the Leo Bodnar Test, and I have discovered that the XG2431 has 16.8 ms of Input Lag in the center of the screen, with perfectly calibrated strobe mode.
Keep in mind that Leo Bodnar is a "60Hz VSYNC ON" lag test, more ideal for testing suitability for console use, than for PC esports use (high Hz VSYNC OFF).

Now here's a tip, in case you want to sacrifice a bit of strobe quality to reduce lag:

If you move the crosstalk band right above screen centre, versus right below screen centre, you will notice dramatic differences in lag. Latency is lowest right above a crosstalk band, and highest right below a crosstalk band.

Now that's also why you want to move the crosstalk band ideally to right below the bottom edge of screen, rather than right above the top edge of the screen.

QFT is magical because you can hit two birds with one stone; reduce strobe lag AND reduce strobe crosstalk. More headroom between refresh cycles to finish LCD GtG unseen by human eyes, and more headroom to move the strobe closer to the refresh cycle. If you can tolerate a very faint amount of strobe crosstalk peeking up from bottom edge, you will be able to get a few milliseconds less lag. If you can add QFT to the strobe (on a QFT compatible monitor), you can pretty much eliminate this.
Just to confirm, this is harder to do at higher refresh rates due to the smaller VBI's right? I want my latency to be lowest at the middle of the screen but at 240hz as soon as the crosstalk stops at the bottom of the screen it begins again at the top of the screen. I saw brightness changes or "hides" the crosstalk unless I'm mistaking the doubling for crosstalk. The higher the brightness the more it is all visible. With the blurbusters tool, the second slider, I've moved them to the higher numbers as that's moving the crosstalk area downward.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 May 2023, 16:27

Kuscheln_Hammer92 wrote:
05 May 2023, 10:29
Just to confirm, this is harder to do at higher refresh rates due to the smaller VBI's right?
That's correct. It's a tradeoff. If you're doing emulators, 60hz QFT with the crosstalk band shifted closer to above top edge, can be a good lag-reducer. If you're doing competitive CS:GO, there's likely no QFT headroom so you'll just have to tolerate some visible crosstalk.
Kuscheln_Hammer92 wrote:
I want my latency to be lowest at the middle of the screen but at 240hz as soon as the crosstalk stops at the bottom of the screen it begins again at the top of the screen.
That's correct. If you can tolerate more crosstalk, move this crosstalk band right below your crosshairs, making your bottom half very crosstalky. That will produce lowest max-Hz crosshairs lag, at the expense of worse crosstalk.
Kuscheln_Hammer92 wrote:
I saw brightness changes or "hides" the crosstalk unless I'm mistaking the doubling for crosstalk. The higher the brightness the more it is all visible. With the blurbusters tool, the second slider, I've moved them to the higher numbers as that's moving the crosstalk area downward.
Are you talking about picture brightness (non-pulsewidth-affecting) or are you talking about pulse width (brightness affecting)?

The XG2431 only can adjust pulse width during strobing, so you must be equating brightness to pulsewidth.

This is an important question because for fast motion at www.testufo.com/map#pps=3000 becomes clearer at shorter pulse widths -- both in less crosstalk and less blur per strobe. Adjusting brightness on other strobed monitors without adjusting pulse width, will not improve this -- but on the XG2431, pulse width and brightness is the same during PureXP.

However, the improvement you are seeing, is because of the pulse width part, not the brightness part. It's a brightness-vs-clarity tradeoff to be sure, but the cause of the clarity is the shorter pulsewidth.

Strobe flashing for 1ms = creates 1 pixel of motion blur per 1000 pixels/sec or 3 pixels of motion blur per 3000 pixels/sec

Strobe flashing for 0.5ms = creates 0.5 pixel of motion blur per 1000 pixels/sec or 1.5 pixels of motion blur per 3000 pixels/sec

So pulse width affects blur.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 05 May 2023, 17:44

I apologize, I meant the pulse width. So widening the pulse width makes more crosstalk visible. So if that crosstalk is hidden behind shorter pulse widths, how do I know I'm really a hairs breath above the crosstalk for that sweet sexy low input lag? Or do I adjust the pulse phase at the widest part first, adjusting pulse phase till crosstalk is below crosshairs, then adjust the width so that I can have less crosstalk to view in game? So essentially, does pulse width, not merely pulse phase, effect input latency outside of the human element with smoothness and jitters by effecting the qft, too? Thank you so much.

Kuscheln_Hammer92

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 06 May 2023, 09:11

Also, so it's the opposite for input latency or lag between the tearline and the crosstalk band? I saw in another post you had written that lag is worse just above the tearline hitter but also worse below the crosstalk banding. Man that is easy to get mixed up for the untrained individual for sure. I will keep that noted.

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 06 May 2023, 10:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 May 2023, 10:50
Angel Soler wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:28
and I get nothing. Everything remains exactly the same.
Do you mean you have an unchanged Vertical Total?

By the way, there are multiple QFT HOWTOs and some of them might be out of date, or needs to be updated.

Are you using the Vertical Total Calculator (feature name) of ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility? That's the newest and easiest, saves a lot of steps.

Hello

It seems that I have already managed to apply the QFT. But I can't reduce the crosstalk.
There is still the same crosstalk as when I was NOT applying the QFT

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 06 May 2023, 10:13

Angel Soler wrote:
06 May 2023, 10:12
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 May 2023, 10:50
Angel Soler wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:28
and I get nothing. Everything remains exactly the same.
Do you mean you have an unchanged Vertical Total?

By the way, there are multiple QFT HOWTOs and some of them might be out of date, or needs to be updated.

Are you using the Vertical Total Calculator (feature name) of ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility? That's the newest and easiest, saves a lot of steps.

Hello

It seems that I have already managed to apply the QFT. But I can't reduce the crosstalk.
There is still the same crosstalk as when I was NOT applying the QFT

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Attachments
IMG_5668.jpeg
IMG_5668.jpeg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 1938 times