How often are monitors tested for Blur Busters approval?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Locane

How often are monitors tested for Blur Busters approval?

Post by Locane » 17 Oct 2022, 03:42

Just wondering how often new monitors are tested for the Blur Busters official seal of approval? I've been stumbling around this site and the internet looking for a new monitor since my XG270QC https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VKPWYQ5 (the curved version of the Blur Busters recommended monitor) has this color trail problem that I think is strobe crosstalk when I have PureXP enabled - it's so bad as to make the feature useless. I should probably make a video about it.

So I found the Viewsonic XG271QG, and Nvidia Reflex input lag analysis support, and I was wondering if that has been looked at or evaluated for BB certification: https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG271QG/dp/B093MJG421

Ideally, I'm looking for a monitor that supports Nvidia Reflex analysis (yes I know it works without a special monitor) that can also produce what the BB Seal of Approval claims the XG270 regular-not-curved can produce https://blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors/

It looks like it hasn't been updated in 3 years? Are we out of funding or something?

Locane

Re: How often are monitors tested for Blur Busters approval?

Post by Locane » 17 Oct 2022, 04:01

Here's a video I made of the problem with my XG270QC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWonBk-mJnk

You can see the wire that hangs down leaves a bright green trail when any of the PureXP options are enabled. If there's someway to tweak my way out of that, I would love to know how.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Oct 2022, 05:00

The XG270QC is a VA panel and could not be qualified for the Blur Busters Approved program.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Locane

Post by Locane » 17 Oct 2022, 13:26

Hey! I appreciate the comment. Thanks, is there an FAQ I'm missing somewhere that explains what "VA" is and the other panel type that is more desirable?

Also, are there plans to test newer monitors...?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Oct 2022, 04:46

Locane wrote:
17 Oct 2022, 13:26
Hey! I appreciate the comment. Thanks, is there an FAQ I'm missing somewhere that explains what "VA" is and the other panel type that is more desirable?

Also, are there plans to test newer monitors...?
In progress. The pandemic occured just as a few monitor vendors were interested, and many postponed plans during the lockdowns.
But there are some in progress, though no dates yet.

Other websites explain TN, IPS and VA very well, including www.rtings.com/monitor/learn/ips-vs-va-vs-tn and many others, such as TFTCentral.

VA is the slowest LCD technology, while TN is the fastest. IPS was historically in between, though new "Fast IPS" panels are faster than older TN panels. The new 360Hz E-TN leapfrogs Fast IPS again, though. And we've got those new high-Hz OLEDs. Currently OLED is king for sample and hold clarity, Hz-for-Hz, for same framerate, but is not available at the higher E-TN and IPS refresh rates.

When strobe retuned at reduced 100-200 nits, and targetting crosstalk reduction, you can get better strobe performance on a ViewSonic XG2431 (IPS) than a first-generation BenQ XL2546 (TN), for example.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!