Best Screen For 30FPS Games

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Jason38

Best Screen For 30FPS Games

Post by Jason38 » 02 Nov 2022, 11:47

I'm currently playing a game on my Wii hooked up to a CRT. Tales Of Symphonia and it mostly runs at 60FPS, except when you're on the world map, it runs at 30FPS. I actually don't find the 30FPS too bad to handle, so now I want to play a few other games locked to 30FPS. What screen would be the best to play 30FPS, to reduce stutter. I've heard OLED is brutal when you're trying to play 30FPS games, because of the fast GTG. I have a viewsonic XG270, does that have a slow enough GTG to play 30FPS games? Or do I want a slower GTG to reduce stutter. I also have a plasma TV and even have a HD CRT, but have no idea what the GTG is for those screens. I'm always interested in learning the best screen for the job.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Best Screen For 30FPS Games

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Nov 2022, 21:06

Jason38 wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 11:47
I'm currently playing a game on my Wii hooked up to a CRT. Tales Of Symphonia and it mostly runs at 60FPS, except when you're on the world map, it runs at 30FPS. I actually don't find the 30FPS too bad to handle, so now I want to play a few other games locked to 30FPS. What screen would be the best to play 30FPS, to reduce stutter. I've heard OLED is brutal when you're trying to play 30FPS games, because of the fast GTG. I have a viewsonic XG270, does that have a slow enough GTG to play 30FPS games? Or do I want a slower GTG to reduce stutter. I also have a plasma TV and even have a HD CRT, but have no idea what the GTG is for those screens. I'm always interested in learning the best screen for the job.
It depends on your goal.

Some people aren't bothered by OLED when playing 30fps games, and prefer it over LCD.

It depends on whether you're stutter-sensitive or motionblur-sensitive.

Everyone sees differently. Stutter. Tearing. Blur. Etc. Different people are picky about different things.

So you may or may not like OLED more for 30fps content. It's risky to make an assumption based on something you haven't tried yourself.

If you want to simulate a CRT 30fps at 60Hz double-images, the best one is an XG2431. For CRT simulation, you actually instead want faster GtG + support for 60Hz strobing. But I don't think that's your goal, from what you are writing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!