Eye strained, which monitors can I try?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ithariuz

Eye strained, which monitors can I try?

Post by ithariuz » 15 Nov 2022, 03:32

Hey guys,

I have been wanting to upgrade my monitor for some time now, but I keep getting uncomfortable eye strain / headaches / nausea. I am trying to figure out what is causing this. I am a programmer so I spend a lot of time behind my monitor so it is important to me that I have something that doesn't mess up my eyes.

I've been using my LG 27UD88-W for a few years without any problems. It is a 27" 60hz 4K IPS monitor. I can run it on high or low brightness, no problems. Unfortunately gaming on this is a no go. I like to play COD on my xbox so 120hz is a must. Ideally I would like to get 1 larger monitor for work/gaming, but if no monitors work for me I am also open to have a 2nd monitor next to the LG.

Lately I have tried the following monitors:
LG 38UC99-W, 38" 1440p UW 75hz IPS (I might've been sitting too close since I didn't have a proper desk at the time to test it with)
Gigabyte m32u (32" 4k 144hz SS IPS)
Gigabyte m28u (28" 4k 144hz SS IPS)
Dell S3422DWG (34" 1440p 144hz UW VA)

I don't think the refresh rate is the problem, as I get eyestrained from just reading articles. I also tried using 60hz, same effect. My current screen runs pretty bright and I have no problems with that. It has really vivid colors so I don't think that's the problem either. I thought my eyes just got used to the ~160ppi from using the LG for years, but the 28" gigabyte also strained my eyes.

My gut feeling says I might be sensitive to the polarisation angle of the monitors, but I don't have polarized sunglasses to test it out. Also the monitor I am currently testing is the Dell ultrawide which is kind of hard to use vertically.

Do you guys have any ideas which monitors might work for me?

imprecise

Re: Eye strained, which monitors can I try?

Post by imprecise » 16 Nov 2022, 14:16

What brightness level? I have to turn my brightness down to 0 on most monitors.

shaqun

Post by shaqun » 18 Nov 2022, 19:32

I have been having the same problem, it turned out to be an astigmatism sickness on my eyes. Get checked by ophthalmologist. I was not even able to look at OLED TV and playing games on any monitor was a motion sickness for me. I have given a glasses and I can play games and watch movies on 55 OLED without any strain or motion sickness now.

ithariuz

Post by ithariuz » 30 Nov 2022, 07:40

I have tried different brightness levels, it's all the same. On my old monitor I can use whatever brightness I want without any issue.
I also have a 55" OLED TV that I can game on as long as I want, no problems. It really seems to be something with modern LED monitors but I have no clue what.

I am currently testing a LG38GL950, which is causing some headache and yesterday a little nausea. My eyes feel weird but not painful. I am going to see if it gets better over a few days. Otherwise this monitor will also have to go back :(

thenextguy

Post by thenextguy » 03 Dec 2022, 12:03

Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but I'll join in to say that I'm having the same issues.

What's weird is that I don't ever remember this being an issue with older monitors. For example, at work I have two of these monitors: https://www.sharpnecdisplays.us/product ... a234wmi-bk

I look at these monitors all day long and I have never once experienced a headache or eye strain from them. They are bright and I don't need to fuss around with any brightness/contrast settings on them. These monitors were first released in 2013.

At home, I have been trying to find nicer monitors for gaming and media. All the newer IPS monitors I have tried so far has given me headaches.

I have been able to tolerate a 1440p Dell 25" monitor (will post the model number later when I'm home), but only if I turn the brightness and contrast way down. It kind of looks like crap when I do that, but at least it doesn't make me sick.

I've never experienced an issue with looking at my OLED iphones and I look at that damn thing quite a bit. So I'm exploring OLED desktop monitors, but there aren't that many of them available yet. I'm also considering trying a VA or TN panel. It's getting frustrating.

Avi

Post by Avi » 15 Jun 2023, 11:02

shaqun wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 19:32
I have been having the same problem, it turned out to be an astigmatism sickness on my eyes. Get checked by ophthalmologist. I was not even able to look at OLED TV and playing games on any monitor was a motion sickness for me. I have given a glasses and I can play games and watch movies on 55 OLED without any strain or motion sickness now.
What number was your astigmatism?

boomlegshot

Post by boomlegshot » 16 Jun 2023, 05:12

I have astigmatism, and maybe an incorrect prescription because in the evening i get these sort of issues. (Gonna get eyes checked again)

I tried increasing ambient lighting, lowering brightness, messing with contrast, gamma, changing color temperatures and these things helped to only a certain extent.

Tried IPS,TN,VA, with flickerfree, low blue light certificates etc... There is still something in modern panels being emited that keeps bothering me.

A bandaid solution that "somewhat" works for me is lowering Dynamic Range to "Limited" on NVCP and monitor so that pixels can only have a maximum brightness range of 235 for the very bright shades instead of 255 RGB.