Response time

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Avi

Response time

Post by Avi » 16 Nov 2022, 07:17

Does blur reduction reduce response time?

I feel like when i play with blur reduction i have more time to react. Is there any sense in it or im just delusional?

Kyouki

Re: Response time

Post by Kyouki » 16 Nov 2022, 07:36

Here is a great read from the Chief himself on the topic:
How Does Blur Reduction Work?
Blur Reduction use a strobe backlight synchronized to the refresh rate, in order to bypass most of the response limitations of the LCD panel.

The backlight is turned off while waiting for pixel transitions (unseen by human eyes), and the backlight is strobed only on fully-refreshed LCD frames (seen by human eyes). The strobes can be shorter than pixel transitions, bypassing the LCD panel’s GtG pixel response speed barrier.
https://blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/
---
Yes this may improve clarity while you're in motion, thus making your eyes/brain perceive a smoother transition during that motion.
For me it made a night and day difference once I got used to it and I don't feel like I have that "blank" spot of information in between motion what happens with Fixed Refresh Rate.
Though keep in mind this is mostly best used under not-gaze-crosshair situations, so games like CSGO it likely won't pose a big benefit if any at all. While games like Apex Legends, or more tracking games like speed racing games can benefit greatly.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 23 Nov 2022, 13:00

If you mean ULMB or DYAC it INCREASES input lag slightly so it does the right opposite. But its only a 0.5 frame and you are trading something for something, as a trade off you get less ghosting (but also very bad brightness and contrast, the picture looks washed out and its impossible to get a really saturated, contrasted picture, at least at my Asus with ULMB on).
For me slightly better result is ULMB on + maximize contrast + digital vibrance 90-100 percent + maximize brightness + color calibration (asus TUF has terrible colors default) and its still washed out but the ghosting is nearly absent so the moving target is much easier to hit (unless its Russlan with 60+ms ping).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2022, 05:52

It's a tradeoff.

You sometimes have to increase display lag slightly to reduce human reaction time (because you react faster without motion blur).

Remember the lag chain can also include the HUMAN (reaction time):

You can still win better with more input lag, if human reaction time decreases more than the increase in lag of the display enhancement technology. Whether it's stutter reduction (VRR) or blur reduction (strobing) or other enhancement technology for a stutter-sensitive game or a blur-sensitive game, etc.

Remember, motion blur reduction it only works with eye-tracking on moving objects, not stationary eye or stationary objects. So gaming tactics will benefit differently with motion blur reduction. You will gain a major competitive advantage with blur reduction with some games and game tactics, while you won't gain any advantage with other games with specific game tactics.

See: HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Avi

Post by Avi » 24 Nov 2022, 06:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 05:52
Remember, motion blur reduction it only works with eye-tracking on moving objects, not stationary eye or stationary objects.
I dont know why but when i do "response time test" on the browser, i react quicker with "Aim stabilizer" than without it. With it i hit without any effort ~140ms and without it 155ms-160ms.

Could it be that the flickering maybe stimulates the brain?

When i play with it i feel more comfortable to be aggressive and also my coordination is way better and quicker. Because of it my decision making is way better.

The only problem that after a while my eyes starting to burn. I still not sure if its the strobe backlight, the crosstalk or maybe the brightness. I do noticed that on 144hz it has more crosstalk and my eyes starting to hurt sooner than on 240hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2022, 07:19

Avi wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 06:47
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Remember, motion blur reduction it only works with eye-tracking on moving objects, not stationary eye or stationary objects.
I dont know why but when i do "response time test" on the browser, i react quicker with "Aim stabilizer" than without it. With it i hit without any effort ~140ms and without it 155ms-160ms.

Different people react differently.
- some move your eyes to the next target and eyetrack it while you turn into place. Blur reduction helps here.
- other keep eyes permanently gazing the crosshairs and simply use peripheral vision on next target (to mouselook it into place). Blur reduction does not help.

There's a 3rd type of effect, an "aim stabilizing" effect from gun recoiling, when mowing a target. The aim stabilizing effect is a minor beneficial secondary effect -- shaky aim isn't a stationary object, where the shaking around of background and/or crosshairs. Both the ability to track eyes tiny amounts while doing manual aim corrections during recoil -- as well as the clearer stroboscopic effects (artifact) makes it easier to react faster to manual aim stabilizing. Sometimes a clearer stroboscopic-shake artifact gives better hints of certain things in certain games, than a blurry-shake artifact -- your minor eye twitching around while you manually compensate for random recoil effects. This side effect (the aim stabilizing behavior) is less researched, but there are people who don't eyetrack the same way during recoil, and don't get the same aim stabilizing reaction time improvements as you may do. Not everyone reacts the same way (eye movements, stroboscopic effects, motion blur effects, etc).

Use highest Hz, limit your gaming sessions, and use a bias light (lighting behind monitor), to help the eyestrain. Usually it's the flicker but it can be other effects like duplicate images or jitter. High pollrate, high DPI, low sensitivity, and framerate=Hz can dejitter things a lot, if your eyestrain is caused by the amplified jittering effects -- but not all games work well with that (e.g. CS:GO doesn't like >800dpi)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Avi

Post by Avi » 07 Dec 2022, 10:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 07:19
Avi wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 06:47
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Different people react differently.
- some move your eyes to the next target and eyetrack it while you turn into place. Blur reduction helps here.
- other keep eyes permanently gazing the crosshairs and simply use peripheral vision on next target (to mouselook it into place). Blur reduction does not help.

There's a 3rd type of effect, an "aim stabilizing" effect from gun recoiling, when mowing a target. The aim stabilizing effect is a minor beneficial secondary effect -- shaky aim isn't a stationary object, where the shaking around of background and/or crosshairs. Both the ability to track eyes tiny amounts while doing manual aim corrections during recoil -- as well as the clearer stroboscopic effects (artifact) makes it easier to react faster to manual aim stabilizing. Sometimes a clearer stroboscopic-shake artifact gives better hints of certain things in certain games, than a blurry-shake artifact -- your minor eye twitching around while you manually compensate for random recoil effects. This side effect (the aim stabilizing behavior) is less researched, but there are people who don't eyetrack the same way during recoil, and don't get the same aim stabilizing reaction time improvements as you may do. Not everyone reacts the same way (eye movements, stroboscopic effects, motion blur effects, etc).

Use highest Hz, limit your gaming sessions, and use a bias light (lighting behind monitor), to help the eyestrain. Usually it's the flicker but it can be other effects like duplicate images or jitter. High pollrate, high DPI, low sensitivity, and framerate=Hz can dejitter things a lot, if your eyestrain is caused by the amplified jittering effects -- but not all games work well with that (e.g. CS:GO doesn't like >800dpi)
I switched to the HP omen x 25 and my eyes are way relaxed compared to the kd25f. The only issue i find is, that when i turn on ulmb(locked to 144hz), i feel huge stress on my eyes after a few seconds. I wonder why on the kd25f it took hours until i felt any discomfort but here its a few seconds. Does the flickering on higher refresh rates is less intense? Or different companies use different ways to implement the ulmb?

I also noticed that when i play with the "Pulse width" the more i lower it(lowering it lower the nits, so maybe its the low brightness that hurt my eyes?) the more my eyes hurt and i find it difficult to look at the screen. What does the Pulse width do exactly?