ASUS VG248QE:Best settings for those bothered by PWM flicker

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Ben

ASUS VG248QE:Best settings for those bothered by PWM flicker

Post by Ben » 04 Jan 2014, 14:15

I thought I'd share my experiences and (possible) solutions here.

I've been using the VG248QE for several months and slowly began noticing eyestrain over time.
At first I thought the monitor was simply too bright (although I was using it at a brightness setting of 4) until I learned of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) flicker which, at this point, I believe must have been the main cause of the problem. (I can't say for sure though.)

Here's my current settings that I believe to have lessened the eyestrain:
(The main idea is to keep brightness at 100% to eliminate PWM flicker)

- Theater Mode (*Standard Mode appears to have washed out colors at 144hz)
- Brightness: 100
- Contrast: 100
- Color temp:
R: 7
G: 7
B: 7

You can now regulate the brightness by changing the "Color temp" values.

The first thing you will notice is that the (Asus) menus are suddenly extremely bright compared to the rest and look much "whiter" than the whites on the screen. Note that this is perfectly normal though - the brighter the screen, the better the colors - turning brightness down the usual way will have the same effect. I compared the colors to my old LCD monitor (at the same brightness) and they seem okay.

A drawback of this method seems to be with the viewing angles: the screen seems to black out even faster than usual when tilted.

Still, this is what I'm using as of now. I hope this is of use to somebody, and if not; at least it might serve as a test to experience working with a "flicker free" monitor if you're in the market for the Benq XL2720Z for example.

Cheers.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ASUS VG248QE:Best settings for those bothered by PWM fli

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2014, 17:59

Ben wrote:I've been using the VG248QE for several months and slowly began noticing eyestrain over time.
At first I thought the monitor was simply too bright (although I was using it at a brightness setting of 4) until I learned of PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) flicker which, at this point, I believe must have been the main cause of the problem. (I can't say for sure though.)
Indeed, PWM has long been a bane of many people.
I'm very happy that BENQ is doing a good eye-friendliness initiative to eliminate PWM.

Sometimes it's due to the PWM flicker (common cause), and sometimes it's due to PWM motion artifacts, such as this one:

View http://www.testufo.com/ghosting and adjust Brightness down to 0%, and you will see this effect.
Sometimes this is the cause of eyestrain for some people, not flicker. For such individuals who are bothered by PWM rough-motion artifacts, the strobing of LightBoost creates less eyestrain than the strobing of PWM dimming.

Do you know if your eyes are bothered by the PWM flicker itself, or by the PWM artifact itself, or by both?
(Does enabling LightBoost give you eyestrain? If so, then you were bothered by flicker. If not, then you may be bothered more by the PWM artifact.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!