Best gaming monitor if not using any blur reduction?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
harrwang38

Best gaming monitor if not using any blur reduction?

Post by harrwang38 » 05 Jul 2014, 01:13

Hey blur busters! First time posting here but I have been following you guys since the creation of lightboost. Love your work on this site and everything you have done, it is quite amazing and has seriously pioneered the creation of no blur gaming monitors. It is truly amazing and I can't thank you enough chief blur buster!

It is finally time for me to upgrade my monitor and get a 120/144hz monitor for high level gaming. I play both CS:GO and Dota 2 at a high level and I always demand the best gaming gear for my needs, getting every little advantage I can.

I am looking for the best 120/144hz gaming monitor that has the BEST COLORS and LOWEST INPUT LAG. Reason being is a lot of pros don't use any blur reduction as it creates some input lag (4 ms average) and degrades the color so it is harder to spot enemies. This is just what I heard so I definitely need your guys advice as I never owned a high end monitor before. I have never tried any blur reduction before so I won't know until I try it out. I wouldn't mind having a monitor that is capable of using blur reduction technology.

Right now I am looking at the XL2411Z/XL2420Z or the ASUS VG248QE. If there are better monitors that suit my needs or ones that are coming out please let me know!

Also is the XL2411Z and the XL2420Z the exact same other then the inputs? I don't really care about them as its about a 50$ difference from where i live. I have also read somewhere that the XL2411Z has a lower input lag then the XL2420Z. Could anyone confirm this?

naivaklam

Re: Best gaming monitor if not using any blur reduction?

Post by naivaklam » 09 Jul 2014, 12:53

im also interested, ive bought the XL2411z and tried blur reduction, but i dont really like it and im not using it

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jul 2014, 16:36

harrwang38 wrote:Hey blur busters! First time posting here but I have been following you guys since the creation of lightboost. Love your work on this site and everything you have done, it is quite amazing and has seriously pioneered the creation of no blur gaming monitors. It is truly amazing and I can't thank you enough chief blur buster!

It is finally time for me to upgrade my monitor and get a 120/144hz monitor for high level gaming. I play both CS:GO and Dota 2 at a high level and I always demand the best gaming gear for my needs, getting every little advantage I can.

I am looking for the best 120/144hz gaming monitor that has the BEST COLORS and LOWEST INPUT LAG. Reason being is a lot of pros don't use any blur reduction as it creates some input lag (4 ms average) and degrades the color so it is harder to spot enemies. This is just what I heard so I definitely need your guys advice as I never owned a high end monitor before. I have never tried any blur reduction before so I won't know until I try it out. I wouldn't mind having a monitor that is capable of using blur reduction technology.

Right now I am looking at the XL2411Z/XL2420Z or the ASUS VG248QE. If there are better monitors that suit my needs or ones that are coming out please let me know!
Firstly, welcome to Blur Busters Forums!

All of these monitors (XL2411Z, XL2420Z, and VG248QE) of monitors in their fastest gaming modes, have very similiar (near-zero) input lag in non-strobed mode. The edge tends to go to the BENQ Z-series because they are newer monitors supporting much more flexibility in their blur reduction modes with less color degradation, with the Blur Busters Strobe Utility.

The XL2411Z and XL2420Z has identical input lag. The measurement differences would only arise from equipment differences or input differences (e.g. comparing DVI versus DisplayPort), as the choice of display connection can have few hundreds of microseconds (<1ms) difference between them.

Let me know if you have other questions!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

harrwang38

Post by harrwang38 » 09 Jul 2014, 20:56

Which one should I get if I don't want to use any blur reduction? Would the XL2411z still be the best choice when it comes to colors in 144hz mode?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Jul 2014, 00:57

There's no reason not to use the blur reduction on the Z series monitors. The colors do NOT degrade in the slightest (you can test it with lhe lagon webpage test) and no gamma is lost, either. The only thing you "lose" is brightness, which is adjustable based on how low you want the persistence to be. Any extra input lag you would feel would be from vsync on vs blur reduction. Give it a try. I think you'll like it.

The complaints you were were worried about only applied to lightboost, where the gamma took a nose dive and the colors became washed out or had a purple hue--Benq's BR has none of those drawbacks, but you would need the VT 1350 (or VT 1502 tweaks for best quality) to match lightboost (VT 1502 pretty much matches lightboost quality on the strobe crosstalk artifacts).

harrwang38

Post by harrwang38 » 10 Jul 2014, 01:40

That is great to hear!! I will definitely be buying the XL2411Z then. It's only 279$ right now cheaper then ASUS Lol.

What do you mean extra input lag would be from v sync? I won't be using v sync at all. I thought lightboost had an input lag of 4ms?

Falken, would you say the benq xl2411z is the best monitor out right now?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Jul 2014, 09:14

"Best" is subjective. The new asus gsync monitor should be out around now.

And yes blur reduction does add a 'slight' bit of input lag but nothing anyone can notice. It's a non factor.
Turning on vsync in the video drivers adds input lag that people would notice, although usually that's only noticeable at lower refresh rates (like <120hz). Blur reduction doesn't.

harrwang38

Post by harrwang38 » 10 Jul 2014, 18:08

In 1 of your other posts you said the asus is better if not using any blur reduction/lightboost? Would you still recommend me the benq considering I play mainly dota 2 and CS GO?

I am asking because I want the best colors possible and it seems like the asus has better colors? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Jul 2014, 19:35

The asus is better because Asus 'tracefree is better than Benq's AMA.

There was a review which showed the overdrive artifacts of several monitors for comparison.
This one doesn't have the VG248QE but has the 27" older Asus monitor, but compares it to the 24" Benq (all of the 24" gaming series Benqs (XL series) and VG248QE use the exact same panel part number (from AU Optronics)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_vg278he.htm

You can see the superiority of the Asus tracefree here, if you scroll down to display comparisons (they have a comparison with the 24" benq).

A direct VG248QE review was here: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/asus-vg248qe
(note; a random problem with this panel is some scanlines artifacts that can appear at the highest refresh rates (or in lightboost mode) when the panel is being run at its imits (LB stresses it even further than 144 hz). It's a panel lottery; I have two VG248QE's and one has it much worse than the other, but they are not present at <100hz, although it is in lightboost mode. (the good one doesn't have it noticable at 120hz either) You can ask chief about what this scanlines issue is called, but it doesn't seem to affect the 27" panels at all, ALTHOUGH you do get a much less severe version of this on the 27" panels when using vertical total tweaks (like the VT 1502 tweak for lowering crosstalking on Benq BR).

The same reason why lightboost on the asus screens look better than lightboost on the benq screens is directly due to Asus tracefree vs benq AMA. Asus looks -wonderful- motion-wise in lightboost mode, compared to the Benq (you see far, far fewer stobing crosstalk artifacts on the VG248QE vs the XL2411T/2020T/Z (lightboost mode) even though they all use the exact same panel. It's night and day on TestUFO (alien invasion). but 2D tests like this (with instant black to white borders) look worse than in practice in gaming.

But lightboost disables the monitor adjustments, so overall image quality wise, and color/gamma accuracy wise, the benq's blur reduction wins hands down. Yes you have to deal with the strobing artifacts even with the absolute best quality settings (Vertical total 1502, contrast 40. persistence 0.5, and strobe phase to far left on the Blur busters utility (00 in service menu), but unti Asus makes their own blur reduction which uses their own tracefree hardware instead of Gsync upgrade (which doesn't use asus hardware), the only other option is the Eizo screen

rabidz7

Post by rabidz7 » 21 Jul 2014, 22:10

No mods done: Sony FW900 CRT. Modded monitor: VG278HE with 240Hz PCB installed.
Rabidz7 is a: PowerPC Fan, LCD and x86 Hater, and a Plasma/OLED/CRT/SED/FED Lover