how do monitor and TV manufacturers keep getting strobing so wrong?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TheGimp

how do monitor and TV manufacturers keep getting strobing so wrong?

Post by TheGimp » 27 Nov 2022, 11:11

Aorus FO48U is a $1,500 (sometimes) OLED monitor that strobes at 120hz but not 60hz, LG B2 (and C2 I think) OLED TVs strobe at 60hz but apparently not 120hz. The Viewsonic XG270 Elite wont strobe below 85hz I believe, and there's a LG monitor that wont strobe below 100hz. And these are just based on my personal experience. The majority of monitors and TVs out there are struggling to get this technology working but didn't Nvidia already come out with a strobing monitor well over a decade ago? This just doesn't seem like something that would be so hard to do right but I guess pulling it off is like unlocking the holy grail of physics?

Strobing at 60hz instead of 120hz can mean saving over a thousand dollars on a video card because these displays seem to need your frame rate to match the refresh rate to work properly with strobing.

TheGimp

Re: how do monitor and TV manufacturers keep getting strobing so wrong?

Post by TheGimp » 10 Dec 2022, 10:29

https://blurbusters.com/expose-stealthy ... r-busters/

"shocking"? No, the NA and European manufacturers seem to me to hardly even be trying! They rely on strobing rather than BFI. BFI is superior to strobing, right? And you can pay $1999 for an LG OLED these days and it wont even reduce motion blur as well as the several year old viewsonic XG270 elite LCD monitor for $338!! And that B2 OLED can strobe at 60 and 120hz, but it still blurs substantially.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: how do monitor and TV manufacturers keep getting strobing so wrong?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2022, 16:58

TheGimp wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 10:29
https://blurbusters.com/expose-stealthy ... r-busters/

"shocking"? No, the NA and European manufacturers seem to me to hardly even be trying! They rely on strobing rather than BFI. BFI is superior to strobing, right? And you can pay $1999 for an LG OLED these days and it wont even reduce motion blur as well as the several year old viewsonic XG270 elite LCD monitor for $338!! And that B2 OLED can strobe at 60 and 120hz, but it still blurs substantially.
Terminologically, BFI and strobing is exactly the same thing.

For LCDs, backlight strobing is superior to integer-based refresh-cycle-level BFI. This is because monolithic non-subrefresh BFI reduction of motion blur is limited to minimum refreshtime, while strobe backlights can flash at a fraction of a refresh cycle.

But on OLEDs (superior to LCDs), BFI is the only thing that can reduce OLED motion blur because it does not have a backlight.

However, LCDs have less motion blur than OLEDs when a strobe backlight is used, because of Talbot-Plateau Law, where LCD backlights can flash more brightly than OLEDs can, very important to prevent too much brightness loss during a flashing-technology (whether strobing or BFI).

Remember, even 0ms GtG has lots of motion blur, see Why Does Some OLEDs Have Motion Blur? and also read about Pixel Response FAQ: GtG versus MPRT.

For more information, study up Blur Busters Law at www.blurbusters.com/area51

Motion blur is pixel visibility time.
Therefore, motion blur is pulsetime on impulsed (strobed or BFI)
Therefore, motion blur is frametime on sample-and-hold.

There are two ways to reduce display motion blur:
Impulsed-based motion blur reduction = flash briefer
Framerate-based motion blur reduction = more framerate at more Hz.

Which means 1ms MPRT with a strobe backlight requires a 1ms flash (if using impulsing) or 1000fps 1000Hz (if using brute framerate).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!