does framerate effect motion blur on a plasma?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
willrs

does framerate effect motion blur on a plasma?

Post by willrs » 02 Dec 2022, 23:24

Hello! I know the Blur Busters forum has many experts so I was hoping someone could help me out with this one: basically, does the frame rate of a game have an effect on the motion blur on a plasma tv? I know with LCD and OLED, the higher the FPS, the less motion blur. But does this also apply to plasmas? A lot of games now have a "quality mode" that's 30FPS and a "performance mode" that's 60 FPS, I'm wondering if this effects motion blur on my plasma. Very eager to hear from the experts!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: does framerate effect motion blur on a plasma?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Dec 2022, 01:50

willrs wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 23:24
A lot of games now have a "quality mode" that's 30FPS and a "performance mode" that's 60 FPS, I'm wondering if this effects motion blur on my plasma. Very eager to hear from the experts!
Plasmas are impulse-driven displays so the flickering adds gaps in the motion blur, creating the "duplicate image" effect.

So to avoid the gapped motion blur effect (erm, duplicate image effect), you want framerate=Hz.

BTW, here's a software-based BFI performing the double strobe (view on a strobeless display such as LCD):

www.testufo.com/blackframes#easteregg=1&multistrobe=2

Note: To do it in a software based manner requires 2 hardware refresh cycles per simulated impulsed refresh cycle, as you can only generate 30 flickers per second at 60Hz in a software based manner. So it can only work at up to 15fps at 60Hz. But a plasma is hardware impulsing at 60 cycles per second, so 30fps at 60Hz is double-strobing whether CRT or plasma
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

willrs

Post by willrs » 03 Dec 2022, 15:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 01:50
Thank you so much for replying! So ya, plasma's are 60Hz, correct? Which means 60 FPS is the way to go on a plasma?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Dec 2022, 21:16

willrs wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 15:08
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 01:50
Thank you so much for replying! So ya, plasma's are 60Hz, correct? Which means 60 FPS is the way to go on a plasma?
Yes. Always try for framerate=Hz especially on a impulse-driven display, to minimize artifacts.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!