Display questions relative to eye fatigue

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jixerz

Display questions relative to eye fatigue

Post by jixerz » 06 Dec 2022, 14:58

I read some good posts on this forum when searching for things relative to eye strain, so I'm here to ask a few more. Hopefully someone can help.

What is the visual noise called that I see on LED/LCD displays? Maybe it is temporal dithering? I perceive it as the audio equivalent of white noise. Especially if I look at a displayed white background and stare at it for a few seconds I really notice this visual noise, and I assume it may be sub-pixels flashing on/off. I can definitely see it with any background color that I have tried though. If it is temporal dithering, shouldn't some colors be unaffected? The noise I see is very similar to what you might see on a phone or camera display when trying to capture a photo in a really dark place. I don't see it when using my phone, which has an AMOLED display.

Is there a way to capture this noise to get a better look at it? Maybe with a high-speed camera and macro lens? I think this noise may be part of the reason why I experience eye fatigue from LED/LCD displays. The other reasons likely being the blue'ness of LED's and PWM.

Since my phone seems ok for reading from, I think I want to try a laptop with an OLED display. Problem here is finding which ones don't have PWM flicker. And is the blue light going to be effectively reduced with OLED?

Also, is refresh rate a factor in eye fatigue for general desktop use (not gaming), such as text editing and watching video?

Thanks for any help.

life_at_1ms

Re: Display questions relative to eye fatigue

Post by life_at_1ms » 06 Jul 2023, 06:49

Hard to know whether to go with IPS or try one of these new 240hz OLEDs which have some very negative reviews:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/co ... es_thread/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... pointment/