Projectors using red frame insertion as alternative to BFI

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
user256

Projectors using red frame insertion as alternative to BFI

Post by user256 » 28 Dec 2022, 20:38

Have you got any experience with such projectors? The red frame insertion seems to have some interesting qualities (at least according to this Sony VPL-HW50E user) in comparison to inserting black frames:
Film mode 1 on the Sony (which is the only option on the 50) is not actually dark frame insertion. They are using RED frames. There is no perceivable light loss with red frames, and the benefit is that it breaks the sample and hold effect that all non crt projectors suffer from. The motion resolution is increased and the perceived contrast is enhanced. With 24p sources you do get substantial flicker. However, I find I get used to it after about 10 minutes, and I enjoy the effect of frame insertion. I find that with 60p sources, frame insertion is VERY beneficial without the flicker. I started watched movies at 60p with frame insertion and it looks absolutely fantastic. The sony is great with pulldown and you don't get much judder in 60p mode vs 24p mode.
Source

Would it make sense to use this kind of red frame insertion feature with some other displays/in other scenarios?