Colour Fringing on OLEDs?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Dalek

Colour Fringing on OLEDs?

Post by Dalek » 10 Jan 2023, 13:54

I'm surprised there isn't an existing thread for colour fringing/color fringing :D

I'm excited for the upcoming OLED monitors such as the 27GR95QE, but colour fringing seems like it might be a dealbreaker on these new OLED monitors as I hate chromatic abberation. I will buy it and see if it is a dealbreaker for me personally.

Some will notice it, some will not. This of course can be updated in the future via a software update solution on Windows but what are everyone's thoughts? Will OLED follow the traditional RGB standard in future? or will it always be a triangle subpixel layout?

Also out of curiosity, would panel lottery/variance also come into play with colour fringing or is this solely on software?

For the OLED monitor and TV owners
Have you noticed it? is it a dealbreaker for you? is it worth waiting until an update fixes this?

There are of course ways to sort of mitigate it through MacType, Better Cleartype Tuner, increasing the Windows scaling to 125%, sitting further away from your desk, but no one should really have to go through these solutions realistically.

phpBB [video]