Looking to replace my ASUS VG279QM. Not sure what to buy.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MassDestruction

Looking to replace my ASUS VG279QM. Not sure what to buy.

Post by MassDestruction » 24 Jan 2023, 12:21

Long story short. I purchased the VG279QM, and didn't realize this thing is insanely slow when it comes to console 60hz gaming. I will be returning it (unless someone knows a fix), but I haven't been able to find what I feel is a suitable replacement, or if it looks suitable I can't find much info on it.

I basically want a monitor that's the VG279QM, but is actually fast in all/most conditions. So low input lag at 60hz up to its highest refresh. Ideally $300 or less, min 144hz(ideally 240hz), 1080p, and 25 inch - 27 inch. With HDR being a bonus, but not necessary. Maybe I'm asking for too much lol.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Looking to replace my ASUS VG279QM. Not sure what to buy.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jan 2023, 20:28

If you want a PC-and-console monitor that is low lag at both --

ViewSonic XG2431 has lower than average console lag compared to other 240Hz+ monitors. ViewSonic sent the prototype to us, and we recalibrated to Blur Busters Approved 2.0 specifications with console-compatible 60Hz strobing, www.blurbusters.com/xg2431

You can check third parties, such as RTINGS, to see that it has one of the lower "native 60Hz" lag amongst 240Hz panels.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/viewsonic/xg2431
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 25 Jan 2023, 02:06

MassDestruction wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 12:21
Long story short. I purchased the VG279QM, and didn't realize this thing is insanely slow when it comes to console 60hz gaming. I will be returning it (unless someone knows a fix), but I haven't been able to find what I feel is a suitable replacement, or if it looks suitable I can't find much info on it.
It's fixable. You need a PC to modify timings, but idk if changes stick to consoles.
viewtopic.php?p=79200#p79200
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

MassDestruction

Post by MassDestruction » 25 Jan 2023, 08:22

Discorz wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 02:06
MassDestruction wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 12:21
It's fixable. You need a PC to modify timings, but idk if changes stick to consoles.
viewtopic.php?p=79200#p79200
How did you measure the results? This looks like a software based solution, so I'm assuming your using a software based solution to measure the input lag? For context I'm using a hardware based solution the leo bodnar tester to measure the input lag.

Also after doing some research it may be possible to burn the QFT EDID profile monitor. Although it may create compatibility issues with some hardware? I'll try experimenting with this, and see where it goes before.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 26 Jan 2023, 02:30

MassDestruction wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 08:22
How did you measure the results? This looks like a software based solution, so I'm assuming your using a software based solution to measure the input lag? For context I'm using a hardware based solution the leo bodnar tester to measure the input lag.

Also after doing some research it may be possible to burn the QFT EDID profile monitor. Although it may create compatibility issues with some hardware? I'll try experimenting with this, and see where it goes before.
I did a human benchmark reaction time test since I don't have measuring equipment. Average out of 30 vs 30 samples. Reaction times improved from 204ms to 172ms. The difference in lag after the mod is immediately noticed.

I played around with CRU timings bazillion times and everything worked fine.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jan 2023, 22:56

MassDestruction wrote:
25 Jan 2023, 08:22
Leo Bodnar only measures 60Hz VSYNC ON.

From what I know, it's unable to recognize and sync to QFT EDIDs, as 60Hz 4x QFT needs a HDMI chip capable of 240Hz. Both are the same number of pixels per second (4x-speed 60Hz QFT is the same bits per second as 240Hz non-QFT).

Leo Bodnar is not a multimode tester, so it is unable to measure other sync technologies or refresh rates, so can't do VSYNC OFF nor QFT nor 240Hz

I do not recommend VSYNC ON lag testers for measuring displays for appropriateness in CS:GO esports, though it is useful for deciding a display for 60Hz game consoles (most titles on 60Hz consoles are VSYNC ON).

Also the latency gradient of VSYNC ON (TOP < CENTER < BOTTOM) is very different from the latency gradient of VSYNC OFF (TOP = CENTER = BOTTOM), and the numbers don't match between a VSYNC ON lag tester and a VSYNC OFF lag tester.

The first Leo Bodnar, while impressively useful as an early lag tester for deciding a display for 60Hz consoles -- is currently so inaccurate a predictor of non-60Hz VSYNC OFF performance, that human/software based solutions sometimes more accurate than Leo Bodnar if you're testing VSYNC OFF. Yup. I said that, unceremoniously and bluntly. Mapping VSYNC ON performance to VSYNC OFF performance is sometimes alchemy if you don't know the Present()-to-photons black box, because of many variables.

Plus... even staying in the "VSYNC ON" universe -- a 240Hz display can have lower-than-240Hz-average 240Hz latency, but can have worse-than-60Hz-average 60Hz latency. So latency performance at 60Hz is never a predictor of latency performance at 240Hz. Now you're combining this Hz-unpredictability concurrently with sync-tech unpredictability creating a bigger error margin than HumanBenchmark (with browser optimizations and chrome://flags VSYNC OFF).

Only a good VSYNC OFF lag tester with multi-refresh-rate support such as the OSRTT device (or the upcoming Blur Busters display tester hardware accessory), will be useful for QFT testing. Mine does successfully test QFT with confirmed lag reductions.

I used that in-house testing device with the ViewSonic XG2431 as part of Blur Busters Approved 2.0 certification, which is where ViewSonic uses Blur Busters to certify strobing, much like AMD certifies FreeSync and NVIDIA certifies G-SYNC. And you can confirm it via RTINGs' lag results that XG2431 has one of the lower-lag "60Hz mode" of any 240Hz monitor they tested.

Now that being said, you're looking for low-console lag of default bog-standard VT1125 1080p 60Hz VSYNC=ON, the Leo Bodnar is a great device for that. But once we start talking non-60Hz, a different sync tech, or a custom video signal (VRR, QFT, custom timings, etc) the original device is useless for testing that.

The Blur Busters device I made supports all sync technologies including VSYNC ON / OFF / VRR, and I use it internally professionally for private testing for display vendors. I haven't commercialized my USB cabled invention yet for sale, that does something important that OSRTT can't. But OSRTT is way better than Leo Bodnar.

QFT isn't supported by any XBox or PlayStation, unfortunately. But VRR is possible, e.g. force to 120Hz even for 60Hz games, and that lowers the latency of your 60fps titles instantly.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!