A poor man's thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Awsm pwnda

A poor man's thread

Post by Awsm pwnda » 21 Jul 2014, 19:29

I'm here for a quick question. What is the best monitor you can recommend for a $200 budget (give or take $50). I don't have any preferences but I will be using it for gaming.

flood

Re: A poor man's thread

Post by flood » 22 Jul 2014, 02:30

I would consider CRTs and also used or refurbished 120hz lcd monitors.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 22 Jul 2014, 08:47

BenQ XL2411Z or Asus VG248QE
Both are a bit less than $250 on amazon.com
Or some used one.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 31 Jul 2014, 08:14

I know its a bit more than you said you are ready to spend. BUT!

Check this thread:
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1152

That 300$ monitor they are talking about is pretty much the 2nd best monitor you can buy for gaming. Only recently lost its 1st place to the Asus RoG Swift.

I know, if your system isnt super new - that resolution (and if you overclock it to 100hz or 120 if ur lucky) will be hard to drive. HOWEVER - this is for the newest, baddest, expensive games. 99% of all OTHER games out there you will probably be able to run at that res with 100hz+ if you have a DX11 capable video card that isnt office-grade.

Just saying, for a little more you can get one of the best gaming monitors out there and will probably last you for quite a while. Not to mention tha IPS beauty of this monitor is not even comparable to TN trash.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jul 2014, 09:46

Two considerations to chime in.

-- If your priority is blur reduction, then non-strobed IPS can be trash, some of us here see the blur garbage much more than the color shift. There is a following here who consider IPS trash until they respond fast enough to use strobe backlights. Humans have a continuum of differing color sensitivities, some sees color better than average, while some are color blind, and most are in between. Likewise for motion blur sensitivity ("wow, LightBoost is bigger than 60Hz vs 120Hz" versus "I don't see LightBoost improvement much" type of testimonials, also heavily dependant on hardware and GPU optimization as well as motion blur sensitivity).

-- At this $200 budget, and if you don't even know what motion blur reduction is or can't tell that CRT is clearer motion, then consider a 1080p 60Hz IPS. They are beautiful for many if your budget GPU cannot push the frames needed for 120Hz-worthy refresh rates.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rabidz7

Post by rabidz7 » 08 Aug 2014, 22:51

Used VG248QE on eBay.
Rabidz7 is a: PowerPC Fan, LCD and x86 Hater, and a Plasma/OLED/CRT/SED/FED Lover

monitor_butt

Post by monitor_butt » 10 Aug 2014, 13:08

gone
Last edited by monitor_butt on 10 Aug 2014, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2014, 14:07

That is a pretty good price! One of the best prices for a "Better Than 60Hz" monitor with a strobe-backlight technology.

That said, I should point out that purchasing from Blur Busters links helps contribute to operation of Blur Busters, including from the Official List of 120Hz+ Monitors or visiting Amazon via This Amazon Link. All of this is purely optional, and up to you -- but something to be aware of! :)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!