Screen tearing, not smooth gameplay with 144hz.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Maxito

Screen tearing, not smooth gameplay with 144hz.

Post by Maxito » 30 Jan 2023, 19:30

My specs: rtx 3060, i5 11400f, 32 gb ram 3200, 650w psu. Only options that are set in bios are: xmp, resize bar and msi bios tower cooler preset (cpu tdp is limited to 135, not to stock 65). The problem of tearing just pisses me off, I cant find a place for myself. I have a 144hz gsync monitor (lg ultragear) and it works good in singleplayer games, where my fps is not higher than refresh rate of the monitor. Talking about fast and competitive games like cod, cs go or r6 sige, it is unplayable. My fps can reach about 300 in cs and r6, 160-170 in cod and my gameplay is so choppy and jittery, that I have a feeling of extremely low fps, but it is absolutely stable, frametime graph is also straight as hell. I was advised to limit my fps to 144, and it really works, gameplay becomes much smoother, BUT insane screen tearing occurs. I cant stand seeing this awful lines in different parts of the monitor! Please, dont tell me to lock fps 3 frames below 144, enable vsync and all this stuff, I DO NOT WANT TO USE ANY TYPES OF SYNCS IN FAST COMPETITIVE GAMES, it is really awful. I had a chance to use another pc’s in gamer pc clubs or at my friends house and EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT with no syncs and with unlimited fps. Moreover, their pc specs were lower than mine (2060 and i5 10400) and it was still extremely smooth. What can cause this problem? Why is it so? What can I do with it? How do other people play 200 fps on 144 screen with no problems, and why am I so unlucky?

What did I try?
-Changing bios settings
-reinstalling windows
-reinstalling drivers with ddu and clean installation
-cleaning every part of my pc
-adding more ram
-changing psu
-trying another cable (displayport) and monitor
-turning gsync on and off

I am sorry if I sound too rude, I really dont know what to do with this problem. Ive spent pretty much money on this setup and I am so upset with this unbelievable screen tearing problem, I am really broken inside. I appreciate any help, please, guys, I know there is something that I miss.

Zodasaur

Re: Screen tearing, not smooth gameplay with 144hz.

Post by Zodasaur » 22 Feb 2023, 01:49

Maxito wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 19:30
My specs: rtx 3060, i5 11400f, 32 gb ram 3200, 650w psu. Only options that are set in bios are: xmp, resize bar and msi bios tower cooler preset (cpu tdp is limited to 135, not to stock 65). The problem of tearing just pisses me off, I cant find a place for myself. I have a 144hz gsync monitor (lg ultragear) and it works good in singleplayer games, where my fps is not higher than refresh rate of the monitor. Talking about fast and competitive games like cod, cs go or r6 sige, it is unplayable. My fps can reach about 300 in cs and r6, 160-170 in cod and my gameplay is so choppy and jittery, that I have a feeling of extremely low fps, but it is absolutely stable, frametime graph is also straight as hell. I was advised to limit my fps to 144, and it really works, gameplay becomes much smoother, BUT insane screen tearing occurs. I cant stand seeing this awful lines in different parts of the monitor! Please, dont tell me to lock fps 3 frames below 144, enable vsync and all this stuff, I DO NOT WANT TO USE ANY TYPES OF SYNCS IN FAST COMPETITIVE GAMES, it is really awful. I had a chance to use another pc’s in gamer pc clubs or at my friends house and EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT with no syncs and with unlimited fps. Moreover, their pc specs were lower than mine (2060 and i5 10400) and it was still extremely smooth. What can cause this problem? Why is it so? What can I do with it? How do other people play 200 fps on 144 screen with no problems, and why am I so unlucky?

What did I try?
-Changing bios settings
-reinstalling windows
-reinstalling drivers with ddu and clean installation
-cleaning every part of my pc
-adding more ram
-changing psu
-trying another cable (displayport) and monitor
-turning gsync on and off

I am sorry if I sound too rude, I really dont know what to do with this problem. Ive spent pretty much money on this setup and I am so upset with this unbelievable screen tearing problem, I am really broken inside. I appreciate any help, please, guys, I know there is something that I miss.
You can't avoid tearing and refuse to use "any types of syncs" at the same time. You have to choose between either one or the other.

koukou

Post by koukou » 29 Jan 2024, 20:52

I have the same exact problem
I have a 75 hz monitor , any game that i have massive fps on doesn't feel smooth. I play rust a lot , and i have around 100 fps and its not smooth unless i cap the fps which is a problem because if i dip 1 fps bellow my cap , its not smooth again.

anyway , the one thing that i noticed that made my game way smoother for a while is that i changed my settings from low to ultra .
it was like night and day in that moment , buts still that is not the ultimate solution.

also my problem was way more severe when i had a 350 w PSU I changed it to 500w . i don't think if I change my psu from 500 to 650 w that it would fix it .

but if its not my CPU / GPU / RAM / GPU / MOTHERBOARD ( I tested on other pc i can confirm these are not the problem )

what could it be ?

its either the PSU / ssd or just bad electricity . its really weird

its could be tearing like everyone says but, why some people have that problem and others don't ?

if you see this , please add me on discord RaoufAL#5527 , if you have found a solution , or even if not.

Maxito add me on discord if you have found a solution i would appreciate it . RaoufAL#5527

I was gonna buy a new monitor 144hz thinking that was gonna fix the issue / or buy a higher PSU

but I can't afford to risk doing that . cause i found multiple people with 165 / 144 hz monitors and they still have the issue.
Last edited by RealNC on 30 Jan 2024, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts

r0ach

Post by r0ach » 01 Feb 2024, 05:01

Zodasaur wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 01:49
You can't avoid tearing and refuse to use "any types of syncs" at the same time. You have to choose between either one or the other.
I’ve never used any form of sync in my entire life and haven’t seen visible tearing in games since something like the year 2000. This is why I’ve always said freesync is a solution in search of a problem and provides no benefit and only drawbacks of worse mouse movement.

Even in those days the act of changing from 125hz with mouse accel on to 1000hz with mouse accel off would make panning go from having some chop and tearing to removing (most? All?) of it. So things like mouse settings and how they interact with the engine play a large part in how much tearing you’ll experience. If you use ultra-slow speed for instance and try to pan at a speed slower than the engine supports that would likely cause problems and result in visible tearing.

If the system is configured optimally the tearing is basically invisible.