All games stutter below 144fps lock. Will pay for a solution.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
FTL

Re: All games stutter below 144fps lock. Will pay for a solution.

Post by FTL » 22 Mar 2023, 16:59

Two things to try from me:

1. Razer synapse has given me weird stutters from time to time, closing it completely solves it if that is the case here (highly unlikely given your extensive testing, but I feel I must mention it)
2. Clean install of Windows with minimal amount of software installed.

The simple takeaway from me is that there is a whole lot of software which can cause weird performance issues with games and if you haven't tried a clean install that seems like a pretty straightforward test.

matkinson

Post by matkinson » 26 Mar 2023, 17:01

FTL wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 16:59
Two things to try from me:

1. Razer synapse has given me weird stutters from time to time, closing it completely solves it if that is the case here (highly unlikely given your extensive testing, but I feel I must mention it)
2. Clean install of Windows with minimal amount of software installed.

The simple takeaway from me is that there is a whole lot of software which can cause weird performance issues with games and if you haven't tried a clean install that seems like a pretty straightforward test.
I don't use Razer Synapse thankfully :)

Tested a completely fresh install again of W11 tonight on a freshly formatted drive.
Only installed steam, then booted up dota. Exactly the same problem. Then tried turning Gsync on and Vsync on etc in NVCP, same still.

This has ruled out software/Windows once and for all imo.

Brings me back to my CPU/Mobo, but I tried a new b550 and a 5800x and new ram, and still had the same issue....so I've no idea. I do plan on buying either Zen 5 or Intel 14th gen though with new mobo and ddr5, so fingers crossed that has an effect. (or at least keeps my frames high enough that its less of a problem?!)

matkinson

Post by matkinson » 28 Mar 2023, 15:59

Just another update, playing CS:GO without Vsync on, despite running at 200-300+fps, may as well be 45 fps. It feels that awful.

Isn't screen tearing, just crazy juddering.

Now I know this isn't normal either as no-one plays with Vsync on, and nobody else has this issue. I don't understand.

I'm just playing with Vsync on, no issues, so it's not affecting me really....but I've still no idea why this is happening. :x

If I cap the FPS at 142 for CSGO, then have Gsync on, it's fine. Without GSync on, it goes back to looking awful. I don't see any noticeable frametime graph issues. Can only get a smooth game with Fullscreen Windowed and Vsync on, Fullscreen exclusive with a cap...nope.

I went back to the 2070 after my 4070ti had a fan issue and they didn't have a replacement....I'll probably try out an AMD GPU to see if Freesync sorts my error...who knows. Just going to eventually keep replacing everything. :D :? :ugeek:

I have semi workarounds for most games with issues, or just ignore it in Dota, so it's more just to solve for my own sanity rather than anything else. :D

jboom

Post by jboom » 09 Sep 2023, 13:49

Hey OP I know this is an old topic but I wanted to say that I have experienced the same issues you speak of with specific games as well, have you found out or figured out any further solutions since?

Otherwise I was going to ask anyone here if they know how to have a custom or specific refresh rate on and still have gsync working? I find, like OP, that some games will only be perfectly smooth only if they are locked with vsync at its refresh rate, which mine is 240, 120, and 60. I would love to have an 80 or 90hz option so that I can have vsync work smoothly at that but if it drops lower then it would be nice if gsync would kick in and smooth it out but I have tested and it doesn't because when using nvidia custom refresh rate the gsync indicator is no longer on in game.

Like OP, I cannot simply use vsync, gsync, and frame limiter(I technically can and that works in some games like it should but it does not in what seems like many others). If I do that in certain games like the new game Starfield, or the Spiderman Remastered games it causes like this kind of hitching/juddering/microstutter, especially noticeable when panning a camera smoothly around using a controller. This will be with the fps locked either in RTSS or NVCP at something like 72 or 80 and it will hitch or judder even though that framerate does not change. If I unlock it and only have gsync + vsync but no frame limiter the game will run a little more smooth than locked but it still is a game that has the fps moving a lot to the point that it is not perfectly smooth like locked fps should be.

So again I was hoping someone could help me with a workaround where I don't have to choose between 60 and 120 with refresh rate to lock vsync at without frame limit, and still have gsync work with a different refresh rate? The problem is Starfield definitely does not maintain 120 regularly and 60 it does but it feels lame when I'm used to high fps gaming and I know just 72 would feel better and my 4090 i9-13900 mobile can do this. I would just like that vsync to work at 72 refresh rate and still have gsync kick in when it dips below, any ideas? I really appreciate any help!