[HELP NEEDED] GPU fans randomly spin up to 100% and display output is gone

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
A Solid lad

[HELP NEEDED] GPU fans randomly spin up to 100% and display output is gone

Post by A Solid lad » 07 Feb 2023, 16:43

I know this isn't primarily a hardware troubleshooting forum, but this is my favourite PC community by far, so I'll post about my problem here first:

*title* ...it doesn't seem to be dependent on load or overclocking, since it happens both ingame and while browsing the web or just sitting on the desktop with 0% GPU util and temps in the 40s on both stock and an overclocked settings.
There's no artifacting or anything like that.
Happens on both old and fresh installs of windows, with multiple driver versions. (DDU'd between each ofc)

After a restart, everything seems normal for a while... then it happens again after a random amount of hours.
When I remove the graphics card and insert it again into the PCI-e slot, this stuff stopps happening for a day or two... then it starts again apparently at random.
At first I couldn't decide whether it was the PSU or the GPU that is at fault, but now I'm leaning towards the GPU.

Since I can still play games or load the GPU otherwise just fine without any hiccups, and the stoppage seems to be completely irregular, I have no idea what could be causing this.

It started happening a month ago, no hardware changes were made to my PC in about 6 months.

Any ideas? Have any of u experienced the same?

Specs:

Win 10 64 pro (as well as Win 7 64 ult)
MSI Krait Z370
i7 9700k @5Ghz, 1.38V
16GB Patriot Viper Steel Series
Gainward Phoenix GTX 1080 Ti
Corsair HX1000i
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Exyy0

Re: [HELP NEEDED] GPU fans randomly spin up to 100% and display output is gone

Post by Exyy0 » 08 Feb 2023, 05:27

Reinstall the gpu and try again

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 08 Feb 2023, 15:27

I don't know how you failed to realize this after reading my post, but I did that countless times already.

Inco^

Post by Inco^ » 09 Feb 2023, 07:15

I haven't experienced the same exactly, but something somehow similar: just like you, suddenly on desktop under no load whatsoever, the system "breaks": I can still move the mouse but the applications rapidly become frozen. I know the reason I have this and I accept it: I am using an old BIOS version, because if I upgrade to the latest versions, the XMP profile won't work (I play PUBG where RAM is critical for performance and I have high-end RAM that is close to the limits of the CPU and MB [4000MHz CL14]). Probably I could update to the latest BIOS version and then adjust some voltages to make the XMP profile work, but it's working already at the earliest BIOS version at the cost of this small inconvenience (system crash every now and then when I'm doing nothing; when I'm playing it never happens).
PG248QP - XL2566K - XV252Q F - PG259QN - XL2546K - Y27gq-25 - AG251FZ - LaCie Electron 22 Blue IV

F7LTY

Post by F7LTY » 10 Feb 2023, 07:36

I had exactly the the same problem with my 1660ti.
Try switching pci-e cables and avoid using "split" cables. Use every 8 pin connector for itself from PSU and try to avoid bending at GPU port.. I removed my side panel so cables are relaxed and unbent and that fixed this weird problem. Is it bad soldering job at pcb or bad cables, I dont know, but that fixed it for me..
I would say with 99% certanty that its harware related problem.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 10 Feb 2023, 18:20

Thank you both for the ideas!

Inco's case seems to be unlikely for me, since I haven't touched my RAM, or any other BIOS settings for that matter, in more than a year.
I'm on the same version and everything.
Unless RAM degradation is a thing... I've bought my sticks 2 years ago. (almost exactly, just checked the bill)

Now on to F7LTY's case!
It seems much more likely!
Unfortunately the heap of cables the Corsair HX1000i came with, do not include PCI-E ones which aren't split at the end... if there were ones, I would've used them from the get-go.
...BUT now that I think about it, I could use two of these cables and just leave the split part (second 6+2 connector) on both hanging! (like the girl you DM'd last week)
If this fixes it, I'm gonna be so happy!

I only recently bought the 1080 Ti second hand, and I'm perfectly content with it's performance... and money's tight right now, so replacing it is really not a great outlook, especially if I cannot sell it, because it turns out to be dying.

I'm in my dorm atm, and I have to get back home to fetch the cables, so I'll report back with the result once I did so.

If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to post them in the meantime. (Even if this is a fix for me, it might not be for others, googling this problem and ending up here.)