Strange white lines for games and sometimes just shows black screen

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
weisscho

Strange white lines for games and sometimes just shows black screen

Post by weisscho » 11 Feb 2023, 11:06

Hello there,

I recently bought the Gigabyte M27Q monitor. I noticed then there will be sometimes white lines when playing games. And some times the monitor just shows a black screen when playing.

In attachment is a example photo of how the white lines look like.
IMG_1225.PNG
IMG_1225.PNG (3.42 MiB) Viewed 1850 times
The line just shows and then disappears. The only rule I have found is that, they only appears when the games allows FPS more than 60. As I just used it for a few days with only 2 games which allows higher FPS...just a observation, not guaranteed to be true. And it seems that it appears more often if the scene have stable 120 FPS. Take the Hogwarts Legacy as a example, it appears quite offen on menu screens in game, as the menu screen has stable 120 FPS refresh rates.

Anyone has any idea ow to fix it? Here is my setup and some of my testing.

I use a GTX 3080 Ti with 4 Monitors connected with Windows 11. The former monitor is a Dell U2518D, and it has no problem with white lines. The new Gigabyte M27Q is connect through DP-DP. It is a really thick cable for like 3 meters long.

1. G-Sync on, the white line appears more often as the G-Sync off.
2. V-Sync seems has no impact.
3. Freesync of the monitor itselfs seems has no impact.

The two games I play for these days are Total War Saga Troy and Hogwarts Legacy. Both has the white line problems.

As for the black screens. It doesn't appear that often but game had the problem. The monitor shows just black screen, sound goes through another cable to loud speaker, so the game runs. If I switch to another software, it still doesn't recover. If I switch the display source, it switches back to the DP (of course as I don't have another active source), it doesn't recover. I have turn off the power or disconnect to recover the display.

I would be appreciate for any help.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Strange white lines for games and sometimes just shows black screen

Post by RealNC » 13 Feb 2023, 10:59

If a different DP cable doesn't help, then I would say this is a case for RMA as the monitor seems defective.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

zamu

Re: Strange white lines for games and sometimes just shows black screen

Post by zamu » 04 Apr 2024, 14:32

weisscho wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 11:06
Hello there,

I recently bought the Gigabyte M27Q monitor. I noticed then there will be sometimes white lines when playing games. And some times the monitor just shows a black screen when playing.

In attachment is a example photo of how the white lines look like.
IMG_1225.PNG
The line just shows and then disappears. The only rule I have found is that, they only appears when the games allows FPS more than 60. As I just used it for a few days with only 2 games which allows higher FPS...just a observation, not guaranteed to be true. And it seems that it appears more often if the scene have stable 120 FPS. Take the Hogwarts Legacy as a example, it appears quite offen on menu screens in game, as the menu screen has stable 120 FPS refresh rates.

Anyone has any idea ow to fix it? Here is my setup and some of my testing.

I use a GTX 3080 Ti with 4 Monitors connected with Windows 11. The former monitor is a Dell U2518D, and it has no problem with white lines. The new Gigabyte M27Q is connect through DP-DP. It is a really thick cable for like 3 meters long.

1. G-Sync on, the white line appears more often as the G-Sync off.
2. V-Sync seems has no impact.
3. Freesync of the monitor itselfs seems has no impact.

The two games I play for these days are Total War Saga Troy and Hogwarts Legacy. Both has the white line problems.

As for the black screens. It doesn't appear that often but game had the problem. The monitor shows just black screen, sound goes through another cable to loud speaker, so the game runs. If I switch to another software, it still doesn't recover. If I switch the display source, it switches back to the DP (of course as I don't have another active source), it doesn't recover. I have turn off the power or disconnect to recover the display.

I would be appreciate for any help.
Hi! I created an account since I had the exact same problem. To me it appeared when I changed from 8bit color depth to 10 bit, and went away as soon as I switched back.