XL2720z Gamma Uniformity

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Faisal_Almalki

XL2720z Gamma Uniformity

Post by Faisal_Almalki » 27 Jul 2014, 00:56

I noticed that the gamma in lower third of the screen is a bit higher than the top thirds "extremely unnoticeable during normal use", i got it setup and calibrated to best viewing angle via lagom.nl and tom's hardware, my settings :

Color Temps : R 100 G 98 B 96
Brightness : 71
Contrast : 43
Gamma : 5~4

i tried different cables, nothing works, but i was concerned if my panel was defective, i don't have another benq xl2720z so i can't confirm if it was common, i couldn't just RMA it or anything, since i live in the middle of nowhere.
A kb2919355 Survivor, that stuff burns like hell....

Falkentyne

Re: XL2720z Gamma Uniformity

Post by Falkentyne » 27 Jul 2014, 01:12

I'm rather certain that that's not a gamma defect. You're probabably just seeing LCD TN color shift (whatever the term is called). that viewing color shift is going to be more extreme on a 27" than a 24", which is why larger screen TN's aren't exactly the most desirable (but sometimes it's the only option). Just a small change in your head position can drastically affect the gamma on a 27". (of course I could be wrong..

Maybe you also have slightly uneven backlight uniformity (although that shouldn't affect gamma).

DId you actually move your head position up/down and make sure you were at the same level as the numbers on lagom, while scrolling the screen?

flood

Post by flood » 27 Jul 2014, 17:53

unfortunately that's normal and expected behavior from tn panels.

sitting further from the monitor will decrease the difference in angles and help a bit.

I always wonder where the hell manufacturers get numbers like 170/160 viewing angles for their tn displays.

Faisal_Almalki

Post by Faisal_Almalki » 28 Jul 2014, 07:55

Thank you guys for the information, i think i'm too close to my monitor "my desk is quite small" but yeah, i managed to 95% solve the issue and so far so good, and the panel has Zero backlight bleeding "just like the rest of the xl2720Zs" and that is one of the things i like about this monitor, and the colors are fantastic "after calibration, lagom.nl , display pilot by benq, OSD" and it compares to an AH-IPS lg 32 "tv" with a native res. of 1080p, thank you guys for the info, and have a good day.

the reason it took me so long to respond is that i had to move the studio, the landowner decided to sell his property since prices in the location spiked and selling it would be a great deal, but moving the +6 workstations and 4 UPSupplies is definitely not a great deal...
A kb2919355 Survivor, that stuff burns like hell....