Laser projectors general? [zero lag & zero blur!!!]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
mirrorneuron

Re: Laser projectors general? [zero lag & zero blur!!!]

Post by mirrorneuron » 26 Jan 2015, 00:49

Light23 wrote:I am just going to start making the screens for now for those of you who already have a laser pico projector.
If anyone wants to buy a speckle free screen from me, PM me here so I can get an idea how many folks want one.

If its small enough I can deal with a few orders here. If its much larger I might go the crowd-source funding route...
I'm interested in this, very awesome screen. PM doesn't work for me (probably because I just registered).

JTF195

Post by JTF195 » 03 Feb 2015, 08:52

Light23 wrote:Ok, so I just ordered a cyan 490nm laser with high modulation bandwidth.
So I am going to replace my blue laser with the cyan one and overlap another projector with RGB.
So it will contain 6 lasers:
Red Green Blue & Red Green Cyan.
I've done the calculations and this should be the widest color gamut monitor EVER created.

1st projector:
Red 642nm
Green 532nm
Blue 442nm

2nd projector:
Red 638nm
Green 530nm
Cyan 490nm

This is gonna be SO damn awesome!
I will post updates with pics when finished.
I registered just to say that if you start making these, I would buy one immediately.

Edit: Have you thought about using the primary wavelengths proposed here?: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/co ... c379132066
According to the gamut charts, you'd be achieving 95%+ coverage of the CIE color spaces.
Edit2: And if you were to add a few more primaries, you could reach even 99%+ coverage.

Edit3: Some other dream features in no particular order:
30-bit, 36-bit, 48-bit or better color depth and (3D) lookup table (with the ridiculous color gamut, you'd definitely be able to look up and display these colors, it would just be a matter of exposing support for the expanded color depth to the GPU/Driver/OS/Application pipeline)
DCI 4k resolution: 4096x2160 @ 60Hz over DisplayPort (Maybe even higher resolutions/framerates, depending on GPU/driver support)
G-Sync/FreeSync
Multiple resolution support: 240p, 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1440p, UHD 4K: 3840x2160.
Scanline support for lower resolutions
Interlaced resolution support: 480i, 1080i
Other random custom resolutions that *just work*
Since this is a projector, much like a CRT, the pixels aren't in fixed positions, so there are far fewer physical constraints to deal with.

RLBURNSIDE

Post by RLBURNSIDE » 06 Apr 2015, 16:48

Light23, you should start up a business like Celluon and beat them at their own game!

Except, I will say this : RP sucks. You really want front projection.

The benefits of these celluon laser projectors as far as I can see them:
- focus free image, means you can optically squeeze or stretch (zoom) the image anamorphically in software?
- optical keystone / geometry correction instead of electronic. Means you could stick the laser next to the wall, or stack them and have near-perfect overlap, with no loss of resolution due to scaling artifacts. Straight lines and text wouldn't be wavy. Like changing the x vs y zoom of a CRT. It looks good (albeit geometry needs to be dialed in) all the time.
- variable aspect ratio : when you detect black bars in the signal, change the aspect ratio / max divergence of the height beam modulator to match the source and use all available light. Even a movie like Interstellar with a variable AR you could have this projector change its vertical beam width / spread to match the input throughout the movie, in real time.
- you could stack several projectors one on top of each other thanks to the elements in the previous points, and not only increase the total lumens, but rotate the odd projector's polarities to have passive 3D, or hyper-resolution similar to e-Shift. If you can align 4 of these 1080p projectors with a +/- 1/2 pixel offset in both x and y, then you could have a true UHD display, with 4x the brightness of each one. Just need a splitter for the input signal. Or accept 4K natively in MHL and have a pixel offset setting for each in the menu, and daisy chain them.

ps don't do interlaced resolutions, Light23, it's a dead end, nobody wants that. Bluray UHD rejected it, it's not part of HDMI 2.0 either. Just accept higher Hz progressive images. 120hz at 1080p or UHD would be tremendously good with perfect blacks and no motion blur. And with decent brightness / dynamic range / color depth, this is approaching display virvana.

Why have a roll-down OLED screen on your wall, when you can project directly onto it from your phone's laser projector and do it directly?

I hope Celluon is smart enough to realize they need to add a switch for anamorphic rendering to reclaim lost brightness due to black vars. Or an automatic way to detect them which would auto-switch the beam AR and increase resolution + brightness at the same time.

Also, I really hope someone can figure out to get displayport's adaptive sync to work over USB 3.x (with a displayport signal)

TimothyLottes

Post by TimothyLottes » 10 Apr 2015, 16:08

Looks like the PicoPro's 1920x720p laser projectors are finally being sold both at Celluon, and Amazon having a discount,
http://www.amazon.com/Celluon-CEL-Pico2 ... 258&sr=1-1

Curious if these PicoPro's can be overclocked over 60hz. I'd grab one right now and try it, but just grabbed a 29" Makvision SVGA CRT arcade monitor, so the low persistence habit needs to wait a bit for another purchase.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 12 Apr 2015, 06:15

High Definition Images: 1920 x 720p resolution offers amazing clarity packing in even more pixels than standard 720p.
Someone with a physic degree, what does 1920x720p mean?

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 12 Apr 2015, 13:28

1920 pixels across, 720 pixels down.

mirrorneuron

Post by mirrorneuron » 15 Apr 2015, 22:03

1920x720p resolution by digitally upscaling the input resolution 1280x720p

RLBURNSIDE

Post by RLBURNSIDE » 16 Apr 2015, 19:16

Light123, you may be interested in the following two papers:

First, by Nasa et al. regarding a "tunable snell's law" approach, using voltage to control the laser beam's direction in two planes:

https://www.vescent.com/wp-content/uplo ... wsroom.pdf

And this other one which looks very precise and according to them "easy to implement" (easy is relative, I guess):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25322238

Antoweif

Post by Antoweif » 03 May 2015, 11:35

Just got my PicoPro!

No input lag and no motion blur!

Laser alignment is... impossible to get properly adjusted. Red and green laser leaks downwards and a little bit to the right (on my device). Also, the green laser is too big so the red laser and the blue one can't fill in properly.
Blue looks very good though.
Because of the laser alignment issues, the image focus is lacking.

CSGO 60Hz vs 100Hz

Improved responsiveness and smoother visuals when you're looking around very, very fast. In overall game play, there's practically zero to gain with 100/120Hz except for the 8ms improved response time. This is the "death" for the 120Hz cry, because there's so little to gain when no motion blur is involved. Really surprising actually.
I'm not saying that we don't need 120Hz+, but what this tech need more right now is image clarity. No point with 120Hz when the focus is this bad. You'll hardly notice the difference anyway.

"But I want at least 72Hz!"
- No. 60Hz is plenty.

"I read..."
- NO.

AAA Input lag
AAA Motion Blur (needs better focus, not more Hz at the moment)
F Image Focus
F Image color (crushed blacks and whites, horrible grey scale)

Overclocking
NVIDIA Control Panel (automatic timings)

*60Hz - My 144Hz ASUS VG248HE looks like complete shit in comparison. With ULMB on, it looks like less complete shit.

*61Hz - frame skipping every 1.5~ second
*65Hz - horrible frame skipping
*75Hz - ^, but more responsive
_____
*90Hz - Very fast skipping, color (and pixel) artifacts - Much more responsive
*100Hz - ^
_____
*110Hz - ^ - blinks occasionally
*120Hz - Screen shift upwards, but movement is 100% smooth despite the fact!
*122Hz - Black screen
Last edited by Antoweif on 03 May 2015, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

tajjada

Post by tajjada » 03 May 2015, 15:58

Light23 wrote: You are seeing some colors that are impossible to actually portray in the real world, other than transiently as you see here. These are called “imaginary colors”. You can't make paint that shows those colors, nor can you project a color of that light on a screen, nor show it on a computer monitor. A color meter does not measure these colors.
Light23 wrote: My display is a world first and should be able to produce these impossible colors as well.
Could you please clarify how is it possible that your display should be able to produce colours that you had just said were impossible to portray in the real world?

I am very confused by what you mean with that statement. I would really appreciate an explanation; it made me curious. Is it something to do with the specific intensities/wavelengths of the lasers?

PS: how did I not discover blurbusters and forums earlier? never too late to sign up for something so awesome.