Laser projectors general? [zero lag & zero blur!!!]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
flood

Re: Laser projectors general? [zero lag & zero blur!!!]

Post by flood » 03 May 2015, 20:09

tajjada wrote:
Light23 wrote: My display is a world first and should be able to produce these impossible colors as well.
Could you please clarify how is it possible that your display should be able to produce colours that you had just said were impossible to portray in the real world?
i guess it implies his display isn't in the real world :D :D

seriously though it's not possible to produce the perception of these "impossible colors" without using similar tricks as he mentioned (staring at one color to saturate some types of cones), regardless of the display type

Amalion

Post by Amalion » 09 May 2015, 08:41

Hi Antoweif, can you possibly give us a few more details? I'd really like to know the following:

- how are you using the picopro - front or rear projection? what throw distance/screen size? If you use a really short throw (e.g. to simulate a 27" monitor) how usable is the brightness in a lit room?
- what is the "real" resolution - i.e. what are you setting your desktop to? 1280*720?
- How does a single black/white pixel grid look at that resolution - sharp? Does the upscaling engine cause artifacts?
- do you have reason to believe the laser alignment issue is specific to your unit? Did you consider asking for a replacement?
- can you clarify - you are saying that the picopro can display refresh rates higher than 60hz? I've not seen such claims anywhere else in its specs or marketing material!
- have you tried any calibration approaches to improve the colour? (I'm not savvy enough to know what these would be, but maybe you know more!)

jmlee337

Post by jmlee337 » 04 Jun 2015, 15:26

Hey Light23, I'm curious about a couple things I didn't see addressed anywhere else in this thread. I would PM for some of these, but new account and all that:
  • Have you measured the latency of the PicoP-based units? I know you mentioned them being lag-free, but was that a "I don't feel any lag when I play" or "I set it up next to a CRT and took pictures with a fast shutter speed"? I'm especially interested in the results for analog signals.
  • What are you using to scan the lasers in your build? Resonant MEMS mirror like the PicoP module? I'm interested in the details of your build in general, as I'm looking into doing something similar.
  • In that vein, I'm also interested in your speckle free screen, but again, can't PM because new account.
  • Also, whatever happened to the Light23 Laser Monitor v1? The only mention of it I can find is in reference to your current v2 build.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » 23 Jun 2015, 11:51

I can't tell if Light23 is busy, or just gone, but they haven't even visited the forum since February.

JTF195

Post by JTF195 » 15 Jul 2015, 23:52

CastIrony wrote:I can't tell if Light23 is busy, or just gone, but they haven't even visited the forum since February.
Yeah I've been really hoping for an update on the 6-primary laser monitor. I want one :P

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 06 Aug 2015, 17:21

Ok...so if this thing is really true and there is really zero persistence blur on this technology...how come there hasn't been much buzz around this new tech yet?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 06 Aug 2015, 17:56

Probably because of low resolutions, QA issues, and requiring special setups and extra hardware (e.g. reflective wall panel) to get a decent image. They're usually designed for presentation and demos rather than gaming, so it's easy to see how there isn't going to be much fanfare from the traditional fast paced gaming crowd. Even under the absolute best conditions, a 1080p version of these will be on the extreme side of niche, and even with no blur or sample and hold issues, 60hz is still not going to be fast enough. The lower the refresh rate, the lower the ceiling of panning/motion speed before the image stops becoming smooth and starts becoming a frameskipping mess, even if you're getting 400 fps, start moving the mouse around at a certain speed and the frame updates aren't fast enough due to the low refresh rate and things get skippy.

these would be great on the go, though. (you still need a panel but there are ways to deal with that)

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 07 Aug 2015, 03:13

Falkentyne wrote:Probably because of low resolutions, QA issues, and requiring special setups and extra hardware (e.g. reflective wall panel) to get a decent image. They're usually designed for presentation and demos rather than gaming, so it's easy to see how there isn't going to be much fanfare from the traditional fast paced gaming crowd. Even under the absolute best conditions, a 1080p version of these will be on the extreme side of niche, and even with no blur or sample and hold issues, 60hz is still not going to be fast enough. The lower the refresh rate, the lower the ceiling of panning/motion speed before the image stops becoming smooth and starts becoming a frameskipping mess, even if you're getting 400 fps, start moving the mouse around at a certain speed and the frame updates aren't fast enough due to the low refresh rate and things get skippy.

these would be great on the go, though. (you still need a panel but there are ways to deal with that)
I was referring to the potential of the technology itself
This definitely is not ready yet
I would like to see some big companies like Panasonic or Samsung look into this stuff
This thing has tons of potential with some research it could possibly be the next CRT
The fact that this is a non-fixed pixel display makes me wish this would be the next mainstream display
But it will probably be oled...which is just a glorified lcd/plasma to me

Haste

Post by Haste » 08 Aug 2015, 16:32

This looks cool and all...

But what about people like me who are hypersensitive to flickering and stroboscopic stepping artifacts?
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Royal

Post by Royal » 12 Aug 2015, 07:11

Hello. This is my first post here on any forum, but I've been following this project since December when I saw it on the front page. On top of everything else like no lag, best blacks, and zero blur, the possibilities of multiple resolutions (based on the non-fixed nature of the device) really caught my attention. This is the only display technology I've seen so far to have little to no compromises based on picture quality (the exception being resolution, and even that is temporary). I would love to see an update on this project really soon.

In the meantime: http://electronics360.globalspec.com/ar ... tor-vision

Back in March, it was reported that Sony ordered millions of dollars worth of components from Microvision.

http://geekculture.co/sonys-new-mobile- ... -revealed/

And now they unveiled a pico projector of their own, with a mini-hdmi/MHL input. It'll be released on October 2015 and possibly more modules will come in 2016.

The form factor plus the unusual 1920 x 720 resolution looks identical to the Celluon pico pro. Most likely will be a rehash of the same product, but i'm still hoping there will be some improvements (like picture setting options and better focus).