Laser projectors general? [zero lag & zero blur!!!]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Amalion

Re: Laser projectors general?

Post by Amalion » 19 Nov 2014, 16:10

Ooh, the thread lives!
Light23, could you reveal more about the projection film you use to reduce speckle?

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 19 Nov 2014, 18:43

Light23, have you thought to put two or three of these in an Eyefinity/Surround configuration?

Light23

Post by Light23 » 19 Nov 2014, 18:57

aeliusg wrote:Light23, have you thought to put two or three of these in an Eyefinity/Surround configuration?
I do have a Triple Head to Go...I just need to mess with it some more.
The Show wx+ is 848x480 resolution... I will take my six pico projectors and a frame splitter (or series of splitters), and get 1696x1200. If I use nine, I can get 2544x1200.
Amalion wrote: Light23, could you reveal more about the projection film you use to reduce speckle?
It's actually proprietary info for the time being because no other company has figured out how to eliminate coherent speckle yet from laser monitors or projector displays without using a audio transducer to vibrate the screen. (My method doesn't employ any moving parts and reduces the radiation speckle to 0%) I will be making some more screens soon though for some one of a kind laser back-projected mini arcade cabinets I am building. When I do I will let you know in PM and in this thread. ;)
Last edited by Light23 on 19 Nov 2014, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 19 Nov 2014, 19:14

http://www.display-central.com/free-new ... projector/
http://www.commercialintegrator.com/art ... _projector

this is a laser one too, if im not mistaken
says the phosphor wheel change after 20000 hours will be way cheaper than a 20000 hours worth of lamp changes for traditional projectors... (those last 1500hours apparently)

So its super economical... except the projector itself costs 45k $

if someone is filthy rich, let me know how that nativly supported 144hz refresh rate works out
Last edited by Edmond on 19 Nov 2014, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Light23

Post by Light23 » 19 Nov 2014, 19:23

Edmond wrote:http://www.display-central.com/free-new ... projector/

this is a laser one too right?
Yes, but in color gamut range the showwx+ is ironically even better than that laser projector you listed. That expensive projector uses multiple blue lasers to stimulate a phosphor to emit red and green. Blue comes from another bank of lasers. (Not really true RGB laser light)

The showwx+ uses Red Green and Blue lasers for a directdraw RGB method hence why no need for a focusing lens and widest color gamut.

The AAXA L1 v2 Laser Pico Projector isn't really good for gaming as its just a LCoS imager lit with premixed white laser light.

Only the showwx+ is the only projector using RGB lasers in this LBS style display tech.
Last edited by Light23 on 19 Nov 2014, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 19 Nov 2014, 19:27

Light23 wrote:Yes, but in color gamut range the showwx+ is ironically even better than that laser projector you listed. That expensive projector uses multiple blue lasers to stimulate a phosphor to emit red and green. Blue comes from another bank of lasers. (Not really true RGB laser light)

The showwx+ uses Red Green and Blue lasers for a directdraw RGB method hence why no need for a focusing lens and widest color gamut.
Well, fuck i wasnt gona afford a 45k toy anyway XD

The showwx one looks very cheap actually..., i wonder how the picture changes in quality if you place it a few meters from a white wall.

Light23

Post by Light23 » 19 Nov 2014, 19:31

Edmond wrote:i wonder how the picture changes in quality if you place it a few meters from a white wall.
It stays in focus no mater how close or far away.
(It gets too bright to look at it when it gets a couple of inches from a white wall) :lol:

flood

Post by flood » 19 Nov 2014, 21:10

have you tried calibrating the colors (shrink gamut :P) somehow?

Light23

Post by Light23 » 19 Nov 2014, 21:30

There is a Vibrant color mode on the projector to make use of the lasers wider color gamut and a standard mode that "desaturates" the color to (normalish) monitor color levels. (There is also gama mode settings on the projector itself with 3 settings.)
But why would you want to shrink the color gamut?!
I make use of it. 8-) I have my settings for Vibrant color mode and gama set to low for better shadow details.

Once you see this thing in person, every monitor after will look desaturated and dull with horrible contrast in comparison.

The only downsides is the resolution, but even thats not a negative if you are using it for Mame or any other emulator.
(I play newer games like Skyrim and such on it with no problems at all.)

Playing blur free vector based games (like Star Wars for the The Sharp X68000) in laser light is better than playing on a actual vector monitor and more intense with no CRT/Vector phosphor decay 'blur'.
When my friends see it they are like :o :shock:

My wife is using it right now to play Sega Star Wars Trilogy Arcade with the Supermodel emulator and we can get bright VERY large screen sizes in a 90% dark room on a Polaroid passport 'movie projection' type screen. (Reflective type like street sign at night. Probably glass beads or silica on white)
Laser light is also brighter per lumen than normal non coherent light. So 1 to 20 lumens may not sound like alot but in laser lux ratings it really is!

Lumen for lumen, the laser pico projectors have higher perceived brightness as compared to those using other light sources… and as you increase the ANSI lumens by 50% [going from 10 lumens to 15 lumens] you more or less increase the brightness by 50%.

Lux is a measure of how many lumens are present in a given area. It's essentially a measure of "photon density" or "light concentration." A "denser" cloud of photons [like a 10 lumen laser light pixel] means there are more lumens present in a pixel space… producing more brightness and higher lux as perceived by the eye.

Oh and BTW the class II laser warning sticker on this thing is a F_cking joke! :lol:
---NOTE----
DO NOT EVER LOOK at the light directly.
It WILL blind you.
They (Microvision) rely on something called the human blink reflex to keep you safe (and for there false lower class II warning), but its just bullshit. If you are anything like me who can look straight down the barrel of a 5mm led, the blink reflex won't work, especially if your mind goes: "Ohhh look, pretty light!"
And then you will loose your eyesight & quoting Tyler Durdan from fightclub: "Shit...I lost it."

And the only replacement for human eyes in the early 21st century is acrylic ping pong balls.
So yeah, there's that...
Last edited by Light23 on 19 Nov 2014, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

flood

Post by flood » 19 Nov 2014, 22:43

because most content is intended to be displayed in the rec709 color space. if you show those content on a wide gamut display, they will be oversaturated and some colors could have the wrong hue.

if you're viewing natural content (i.e. pictures, videos of real life), that's an issue
if you're viewing artificial content like video games, then whatever... just know that what youre seeing is probably not what the creator of the content intended for you to see.
if you're creating content for others, its an issue as viewers of the content will see an image much less saturated than you intend

the advantage of larger gamuts is their ability to display both wide-gamut content and typical content, provided that some sort of color management is available

but laser displays have some complications... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/286-lates ... ction.html