Unsolvable Stutter/Eye Strain

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
Argus

Unsolvable Stutter/Eye Strain

Post by Argus » 26 Feb 2023, 10:14

Follow up from these posts, in order from oldest to latest:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8588&p=66939#p66939
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8739&p=68213#p68213
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10044&p=80944#p80944
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10339&p=83876#p83876

I've made quite a few posts about my 3 year long battle with this issue. My desktop has a slowly growing issue with the eye strain. It has gotten so bad that I cannot even look at my monitor anymore. I instantly become drowsy and get heavy eye strain just looking at it for a few moments.

I tried everything.
I replaced each and everysingle one of my components, built a new system, tried different power cables and displayport cables, tried different monitors, different peripherals, swapped the GPU, memory, CPU, motherboard, I tried isolating absolutely everything. Tried changing overclock settings and bios settings as well to no avail.

What is extremely strange is that this issue grows totally independent from what I actually do. In the first year, it was just uncomfortable stutter, the second year was heavy eye strain but still tolerable for a few hours, and now I cannot even look at the monitor. No other device I use at any location and no matter which configuration, be it the hardware or the windows version difference, does NOT have this same eye strain issue which is unique to my desktop. I even went and a bought a few different gaming laptops to verify this (which I returned later obviously). None of them had this exact unique eye strain that comes from my desktop; however, there was this 240hz gsync 1440p laptop that did give me a bit of a headache but had smooth framepacing unlike my desktop.

Although I've tried new monitors, they were all 1440p. I haven't tried a 1080p display yet but it seems odd that 1440p could be the issue since it was working fine before anyway.

At this point, there is only one thing I have not tried yet which is swapping the PSU which I have kept reusing with my new builds. My current PSU is an EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 220-P2-1000-XR 80+ PLATINUM purchased in 2016. So it's about 7 years old at this point which brings me to my main point.

Is it possible that the PSU has degraded overtime and led to this stutter issue? I tried some quick google searches about degrading PSUs and stutter issues but I could not find much info on this subject.
Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it by swapping to a newer PSU?
And if it turns out the PSU is not the issue, what else is there for me to try?
Thanks.

qwer158

Re: Unsolvable Stutter/Eye Strain

Post by qwer158 » 29 Mar 2023, 23:00

Did you solve your problem? also, did you change bcdedit commands? such as tscsync and platform clock

Argus

Re: Unsolvable Stutter/Eye Strain

Post by Argus » 19 Apr 2023, 16:39

qwer158 wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 23:00
Did you solve your problem? also, did you change bcdedit commands? such as tscsync and platform clock
Still having issues to this day. I left the pc off for a month after the initial post and when I turned it back on, it felt better for a few days and then went back to unusable for no reason. Didn't touch or change anything. I did notice that using gsync made the eye strain significantly worse such that I can't even keep my eyes open when looking at the monitor if gsync is on. When it's off, there's still unbearable eyestrain but not as bad if that makes sense. There's seemingly no rhyme or reason to it.