How can I check my TV (or external monitor) input latency?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
sofakng

How can I check my TV (or external monitor) input latency?

Post by sofakng » 29 Jul 2014, 09:09

This isn't exactly related to Blur Busters (i.e. 120 Hz) but hopefully somebody here could help me anyways...

I'm trying to test some TVs and monitors (and A/V equipment) for input/display latency but I don't have a CRT or high-speed camera (just a DSLR).

Can I use my laptop to perform the test?

I've actually tried this already: MacBook connected via HDMI to a TV (and also an external monitor), then I ran a frame counter on the cloned displays while taking a picture at 1/320th of second.

The result was that the TV showed a LOWER counter than the MacBook (seeming to indicate that the internal MacBook LCD had more lag than the external display).

Anyways, does anybody have a better method of testing without using a CRT or high-speed camera?

sofakng

Re: How can I check my TV (or external monitor) input latenc

Post by sofakng » 29 Jul 2014, 12:12

Yeah, but that requires a CRT ...

flood

Re: How can I check my TV (or external monitor) input latenc

Post by flood » 29 Jul 2014, 14:43

well my method is for measuring input lag differences, so you could also use an LCD.
but it's really not that expensive to get a crt.. you don't need a fancy one.

well one issue is that most crt's can't display widescreen lcd's native resolution, so the lcd scaler comes into play.