Odd 54 Hz display on Chinese tablet - What does it mean?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
LagBuster

Odd 54 Hz display on Chinese tablet - What does it mean?

Post by LagBuster » 14 Mar 2023, 19:27

I just bought a cheap Chinese tablet for reading books and whatnot. Surprisingly the reported refresh rate turns out to be 54 Hz, which I have never seen before. What is the meaning of this? My guess is the display is some type of factory reject, but I really have no idea. Maybe someone has an explanation?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Odd 54 Hz display on Chinese tablet - What does it mean?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2023, 20:30

Might have been a battery-lengthening tweak for an underpowered processor that is a power hog. 54Hz uses less power than 60Hz, while looking almost as smooth.

Does motion look smooth at 54Hz?

Check www.testufo.com/frameskipping

I want to verify that this is a perfect 54Hz, not a perfect "54Hz-simulating 54fps frame rate cap" that creates jitter/frameskipping artifacts at the display side (or even silly scan conversion "54Hz" -> 60Hz)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 17 Mar 2023, 14:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 20:30
Might have been a battery-lengthening tweak for an underpowered processor that is a power hog. 54Hz uses less power than 60Hz, while looking almost as smooth.

Does motion look smooth at 54Hz?

Check www.testufo.com/frameskipping

I want to verify that this is a perfect 54Hz, not a perfect "54Hz-simulating 54fps frame rate cap" that creates jitter/frameskipping artifacts at the display side (or even silly scan conversion "54Hz" -> 60Hz)
I realized that too after posting this, that the most logical explanation was that they ship them like this in an attempt to make the battery last longer. In fact, I tested the real battery capacity and it is around 10% below what they claim, and there is a 10% difference from 60 Hz to 54 Hz. Coincidence? (rhetorical question :) )

Anyway, there is no frame-skipping. All the photos I took look like this:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Mar 2023, 03:02

Interesting!

That appears to be 54Hz from that limited sample (ideally you need at least 2x more squares than the frameskip frequency -- e.g. the 1-in-10 frameskip difference 54 vs 60 needs so you need 20 squares to really truly tell it's non-frameskipped 54Hz -- but if you repeatedly photograph and all random samples are all non-frameskipped then you've essentially verified as such)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!