New monitor [deciding on one]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
llIH

New monitor [deciding on one]

Post by llIH » 05 Jan 2014, 08:58

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum.

I am looking for a new monitor!
Currently I own an LG W2486L. 24" 60Hz LED 1080p. (link to LG's webpage: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-W2486L-led-monitor)
I am not satisfied with it. The colors look off. My brother has a BenQ G2420HDB. And I think the BenQ looks much better. There is ghosting (even when I move the cursor on the desktop on the LG). It also does not have any form of regulation of the angle of the screen. Nor the height...

I play cs:go and DotA2.

PC specifications:
i7 920
AMD Radeon 5870 1GB (reference model)

I am looking for a 120 or 144Hz monitor.
Either BenQ XL2411T or ASUS VG248QE.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should get?

Thank you

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: New monitor

Post by RealNC » 05 Jan 2014, 09:53

If you have extra money to burn, I'd wait for the new monitors from BenQ (the new "Z" models, like XL2420Z and XL2720Z). Asus is probably also going to announce new models.

(Normally I'd mention "wait for G-Sync monitors to come out", but since you're using a Radeon card, it's no option for you.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

llIH

Post by llIH » 05 Jan 2014, 10:42

I am considering getting a new pc soon. I might upgrade my GPU to a Nvidia card also.
But I really want a new monitor. But I can wait if they will be worth the wait?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Jan 2014, 10:59

Whether G-Sync is important to you depends on how much you care about tearing, V-Sync input lag and stutters due to a game's FPS not being 100% in sync with the monitor's refresh rate. This video tries to demonstrate the problem and "emulates" the G-Sync effect (it's in the second half of the video):

http://international.download.nvidia.co ... _Video.mp4

If those problems are not really important to you, then I'd simply wait for the "Z" models of BenQ and get one of those (they don't support G-Sync.) There's a good chance the new Asus monitors will support G-Sync, though I believe nothing was officially confirmed yet.

Personally, I'm holding back from a monitor upgrade because I always use V-Sync in games and I find the stutter that happens when the game falls below 60FPS to be very annoying. In Assassin's Creed 3 for example, FPS would fall to about 50-55 in some areas. Even though 55FPS should be perfectly smooth, it's not, because the display runs at 60Hz, not 55. G-Sync takes care of that. And it also reduces input lag (with G-Sync, input lag is very near that of V-Sync disabled.)

Of course, also check the BlurBusters preview of G-Sync, using a G-Sync modified Asus VG248QE monitor:

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

llIH

Re: New monitor [deciding on one]

Post by llIH » 06 Jan 2014, 06:22

Thanks
I thought the Z models were already out?
I will wait I think

The best would be to wait for a BenQ with G-Sync I guess

TheExodu5

Re: New monitor [deciding on one]

Post by TheExodu5 » 06 Jan 2014, 16:14

I'd wait a little bit. I own the VG248QE, and while the motion is great, the colors are lacking, particularly with Lightboost on.

The new G-Sync monitors will have ULMB built-in...I would highly suggest you make that a priority if you play CS:GO. The added motion clarity helps a lot in that game.