Dual GPUs: State of input lag + micro-stutter?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Ch0b0

Dual GPUs: State of input lag + micro-stutter?

Post by Ch0b0 » 04 Aug 2014, 19:31

The last time I had a dual GPU solution (6990 CF), the experience was horrible. 50fps with a single GPU was smoother than two of those cards running at 100fps.

I was looking for a resolution bump by getting a larger display, but I will need extra hardware to run it at 120fps. Do dual GPUs add as much input lag and micro-stutter as they did 3 years ago?

flood

Re: Dual GPUs: State of input lag + micro-stutter?

Post by flood » 04 Aug 2014, 20:40

i'm interested in this too.
which game do you have in mind?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Aug 2014, 18:51

Microstutter of SLI has improved quite a lot. Especially with AMD "framepacing" improvements. But it is not perfect. NVIDIA is still superior for microstutter of multi-GPU setups.

Framerate affects GPU share of lag on a single GPU, in the input lag chain. For alternate frame rendering, Input lag tends to be equal to a single GPU at half framerate. This is because at 100fps, each GPU in a two-GPU configuration is taking 1/50sec per frame, rendering offset by about 1/100sec relative to the other. You get less lag at 75fps on a single GPU as a result. So doubling up your GPU, at best case, generally keeps your lag the same while doubling framerate. In the real world, it is usually worse. Split-frame rendering is used less often nowadays due to complexities of GPU special effects, making alternate frame the better performing choice.

If you care about microstutter+parallel it is a better situation today either way for both red and green than three years ago.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 05 Aug 2014, 21:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Microstutter of SLI has improved quite a lot. Especially with AMD "framepacing" improvements. But it is not perfect. NVIDIA is still superior for microstutter of multi-GPU setups.

Framerate affects GPU share of lag on a single GPU, in the input lag chain. For alternate frame rendering, Input lag tends to be equal to a single GPU at half framerate. This is because at 100fps, each GPU in a two-GPU configuration is taking 1/50sec per frame, rendering offset by about 1/100sec relative to the other. You get less lag at 75fps on a single GPU as a result. So doubling up your GPU, at best case, generally keeps your lag the same while doubling framerate. In the real world, it is usually worse. Split-frame rendering is used less often nowadays due to complexities of GPU special effects, making alternate frame the better performing choice.

If you care about microstutter+parallel it is a better situation today either way for both red and green than three years ago.

This is pretty much my experience. I have 2 Geforce 770s in SLI.

I haven't had any problem with stuttering but it adds a little input lag, especially with a frame rate cap. I disable SLI for games that I can max the fps out using a single GPU or if they are CPU bottlenecked.