Micro Stuttering, Micro Stuttering Everywhere

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Pterodacton

Micro Stuttering, Micro Stuttering Everywhere

Post by Pterodacton » 17 Apr 2023, 03:54

Hey guys,

Not sure if I'm on the right forum, but I'm having massive issues with micro stuttering.

I've just built a new computer in the past month, specs are:
  • MSI Z790 Tomahawk WiFi motherboard
  • Intel Core i9 13900KS
  • Corsair Vengeance 64Gb 6600Mhz
  • 2TB WD Black SN850X NVMe SSD
  • Asus TUF RTX4090
  • Corsair HX1200 PSU
  • Dell S3222DGM monitor
Performance is - obviously - quite good, however I've noticed micro stuttering, I've always been more susceptible to it over framerate, I've been able to tolerate 30fps console gaming for many years but if a game has uneven frame pacing then it's basically a deal breaker for me, I initially thought it was my mouse movements, but plugging in a controller and smooth panning the camera shows it, so I think it's something else. The monitor is freesync premium, which is supposed to be compatible with gsync.

Things I've tried so far are, disabling e cores, disabling resizable bar, limiting the framerate in the nvidia control panel, disabling reflex boost, all combinations of gsync, freesync and vsync on and off, but no matter what I do, I can still perceive stuttering.

I downloaded the nvidia pendulum demo, and even at 165hz, with gsync enabled, with MSI afterburner showing smooth frame rate and frametime graphs, I can still see stutters. I've even filmed it in slow motion on my phone to make sure I'm not going crazy, but the truth is that the stutter is everywhere, even just moving desktop windows around, it's everywhere.

I'm at a complete loss here, does anyone know anything that might help?

mago

Re: Micro Stuttering, Micro Stuttering Everywhere

Post by mago » 17 Apr 2023, 07:43

try
disable freesync premium in the screen settings

enable gsync apply then disable gsync apply

is it with dp or hdmi ?

did u install the cheapset driver ?
Ⓢк𝕀lŁ เ𝓢 ᵗⒺм𝕡σr𝐀𝐑Ⓨ, lά𝔾 I𝐬 F𝔬ʳ𝔢𝓿ᗴ𝔯

mango87

Post by mango87 » 17 Apr 2023, 11:19

Have you tried at a lower refresh rate? It could be a bad monitor that's stressing itself at max refresh rate. With microstutters, I'm lead to believe there's either something wrong the vsync/gsync setting or the monitor. For me, I had micro stutter issues in Saints Row 4, and I fixed it by forcing vsync in Nvidia control panel.

Pterodacton

Post by Pterodacton » 17 Apr 2023, 12:07

mago wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 07:43
try
disable freesync premium in the screen settings

enable gsync apply then disable gsync apply

is it with dp or hdmi ?

did u install the cheapset driver ?
I've tried what you suggested above, it's display port, and the chipset driver was installed.
mango87 wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 11:19
Have you tried at a lower refresh rate? It could be a bad monitor that's stressing itself at max refresh rate. With microstutters, I'm lead to believe there's either something wrong the vsync/gsync setting or the monitor. For me, I had micro stutter issues in Saints Row 4, and I fixed it by forcing vsync in Nvidia control panel.
Yeah I've tried all the usual refresh rates, I've been frame capping my games at about 80fps, I've been able to max out games with comfortable overheads, I even created a custom resolution with 80hz fixed but still seem to get this irregular movement of things moving on screen, even when the frame rate and frame time graph are flat lines.

I'm going to try plugging my PC into my TV and see what's what.

mago

Post by mago » 17 Apr 2023, 12:36

try to disable spectre and meltdown with inspectre
Ⓢк𝕀lŁ เ𝓢 ᵗⒺм𝕡σr𝐀𝐑Ⓨ, lά𝔾 I𝐬 F𝔬ʳ𝔢𝓿ᗴ𝔯

ko4

Post by ko4 » 18 Apr 2023, 00:08

Could you send the video you took with your phone?

Pterodacton

Post by Pterodacton » 18 Apr 2023, 05:21

ko4 wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 00:08
Sure thing, I deleted it but I'll make another as soon as I get the chance.

Pterodacton

Post by Pterodacton » 18 Apr 2023, 13:31

ko4 wrote:
18 Apr 2023, 00:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22VhkyOSeK4

Here it is, unfortunately the whole video is slow motion rather than just the end like I intended, so feel free to skip ahead.
I show that the g-sync indicator is on, that I'm limiting my frame rate to 80, and that the monitor is indeed at 80Hz, the frame rate and time graphs look smooth(ish) at the end I zoom out and show the whole monitor and the light grey bar skips unevenly across the screen, this is visible to the eye though obviously not as pronounced as the slow motion shows.

Also, ignore the GPU being at 100%, it's a 4090, it stays at 100% regardless of the frame rate I think it's just how the pendulum demo works as I get the same issue in games that barely use 30% and don't even trigger the fans spooling up.

mango87

Post by mango87 » 19 Apr 2023, 12:16

Try doing a clean install of the Nvidia drivers and run a benchmark in safe mode. That way, you could rule out anything running in the background. Wish I could be of more help.

Edit: Follow this guide straight from Blur Busters:

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... -settings/

thizito

Post by thizito » 27 Apr 2023, 21:42

you are unstable
disable cstate
set 6000mhz change nothing else in ram
set fixed cpu pcore and ecore speeds on 54 and 38
and disable hyperthread