Monitor for Fps gaming

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Boop

Re: Monitor for Fps gaming

Post by Boop » 26 May 2023, 12:35

masterblaster wrote:
26 May 2023, 09:02

The XV252Q should have less input lag than the XG2431... Higher refresh means lower input lag. And Strobing increases input lag slightly actually. XG2431 has lower input lag with strobing disabled fyi... You got your facts backwards. The XV252Q is faster than the xg2431. Ive had both monitors, the XV252Q feels faster and smoother over the XG2431.
I think you misread what I said. Let me word it differently.

The XV252Q has higher input lag than the XG2431 when both monitors are using strobing at their maximum refresh rates. See below...

If strobing is used at all, the XG2431 is the better eSports monitor when compared to the XV252Q. If the brightness is too dim then tune it or return it.
  • Better input lag when strobing (tiny amount)
  • Better motion clarity
  • Easier to reach FPS >= Hz target to avoid duplicate images when strobing (most titles can reach 240fps but not as many can do 300+ fps, so it depends on your game and if there's a hard FPS cap)

nikosleft

Post by nikosleft » 26 May 2023, 18:09

Personally my Dell S2522HG had insane amounts of ips glow, im talking a full ball of grey pixels following my eyes around, causing headache, I would advise against it, but of course mine could have just been a bad unit.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2023, 20:11

Boop wrote:
26 May 2023, 12:35
The XV252Q has higher input lag than the XG2431 when both monitors are using strobing at their maximum refresh rates. See below...
As a reminder to everyone, lag includes the human:

The name of the game is (A) You are able to achieve the territory of framerate=Hz* and (B) Strobing is bright enough for you, and (C) game benefits from human reaction time reductions from strobing, that outweighs the display lag

(*or brute it far beyond Hz, e.g. 500fps VSYNC OFF at 240Hz strobed)

Not all games and gaming techniques benefit from strobing, but strobing is a favorite if you're playing games where strobing reduces your human reaction time massively. Having 2ms more strobe lag doesn't matter if strobing reduces your reaction time by 10ms because you reacted faster due to clearer fast-moving objects.

Because of the common "stare mainly at crosshairs" techniques (strobing doesn't always help as much), that's why strobing doesn't seem to benefit CS:GO gamers as much as Rainbow Six gamers. This is because the gaming technique in Rainbow Six tends to benefit more from strobing. A few years ago, one of the esports champions of Rainbow Six was using strobing!

Right Tool For The Right Game.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

xkashimx

Post by xkashimx » 29 May 2023, 01:30

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 May 2023, 20:11
Boop wrote:

The name of the game is (A) You are able to achieve the territory of framerate=Hz* and (B) Strobing is bright enough for you, and (C) game benefits from human reaction time reductions from strobing, that outweighs the display lag

Not all games and gaming techniques benefit from strobing, but strobing is a favorite if you're playing games where strobing reduces your human reaction time massively. Having 2ms more strobe lag doesn't matter if strobing reduces your reaction time by 10ms because you reacted faster due to clearer fast-moving objects.

Because of the common "stare mainly at crosshairs" techniques (strobing doesn't always help as much), that's why strobing doesn't seem to benefit CS:GO gamers as much as Rainbow Six gamers. This is because the gaming technique in Rainbow Six tends to benefit more from strobing. A few years ago, one of the esports champions of Rainbow Six was using strobing!

i actually have odyssey g7 32" hate the size and don t care about resolution,planning to swap to xg2431 because 240hz can be archieved easy,lowest input lag,clear image mbr and because xv252qf at 390hz is 8 bit,then better colours...mainly play csgo

xkashimx

Post by xkashimx » 12 Jun 2023, 08:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
[...]
then for you which one is my best bet?xg2431?ips 1080p 240hz with great blur reduction?=

chandler

Post by chandler » 12 Jun 2023, 18:36

xkashimx wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 08:38
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
[...]
then for you which one is my best bet?xg2431?ips 1080p 240hz with great blur reduction?=

no, by what they said u should opt for highest refresh rate (e.g 360Hz) non-strobed if u can maintain the frames..

Chief actually just made me understand why I dont feel too great about my XG2431 in csgo.
I played CoD4 ProMod (which is considered a twitch-fps game) at the highest level since 2008 and then somewhere in 2013 got the VG248QE (lightboost enabled @ 120hz) (cod4 was locked at 250fps [quake3 engine]) and I actually benefited from the strobing because its all about tracking and fast eye motion (a lot of sprinting jumping moving the cursor around ;etc etc) and then got the XL2540 in 2017 (while I was playing CSGO for a couple of years already) and still used MBR at 240hz... and now with the XG2431 with PureXP.. I only now realize I should have played with it off in CS. Well that concludes it for me, Im definitely buying the XL2566K

xkashimx

Post by xkashimx » 13 Jun 2023, 07:27

chandler wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 18:36
xkashimx wrote:
12 Jun 2023, 08:38
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Boop wrote:

no, by what they said u should opt for highest refresh rate (e.g 360Hz) non-strobed if u can maintain the frames..

Chief actually just made me understand why I dont feel too great about my XG2431 in csgo.
I played CoD4 ProMod (which is considered a twitch-fps game) at the highest level since 2008 and then somewhere in 2013 got the VG248QE (lightboost enabled @ 120hz) (cod4 was locked at 250fps [quake3 engine]) and I actually benefited from the strobing because its all about tracking and fast eye motion (a lot of sprinting jumping moving the cursor around ;etc etc) and then got the XL2540 in 2017 (while I was playing CSGO for a couple of years already) and still used MBR at 240hz... and now with the XG2431 with PureXP.. I only now realize I should have played with it off in CS. Well that concludes it for me, Im definitely buying the XL2566K
then cs benefit more for hz because the kind of game(crosshair static and peeks) benefit more from high refresh right?but maybe 240hz is more all arounded?xv252qf is faster and with less input lag unstrobed,but if i can t hit 390fps,like in cod,maybe xg2431 strobed is better all arounded?sure is better in cod because tracking benefit from purexp

bumbeen

Post by bumbeen » 13 Jun 2023, 08:14

FWIW with strobing on and vsync off at 270hz-360hz, I do literally have to be running 500-600FPS in the game for the tearing artifacts to not be a distraction. this is fine since the high FPS comes with a big latency reduction as well but dang if it doesn't look good with that sweet sweet vsync turned on

xkashimx

Post by xkashimx » 13 Jun 2023, 12:42

bumbeen wrote:
13 Jun 2023, 08:14
FWIW with strobing on and vsync off at 270hz-360hz, I do literally have to be running 500-600FPS in the game for the tearing artifacts to not be a distraction. this is fine since the high FPS comes with a big latency reduction as well but dang if it doesn't look good with that sweet sweet vsync turned on
what u mean for fwiw?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jun 2023, 23:48

FWIW = For What's It's Worth

It's an acronym widely used in several English-speaking countries.

There are indeed cases where you want the better strobing, and there are indeed cases where you want the extra brute refresh rate (360-540Hz+)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!