Eyestrain issues - please help.

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
Pavelsky

Eyestrain issues - please help.

Post by Pavelsky » 31 May 2023, 18:33

Hello Blur Busters.

I have had an old Asus VG248QE for a long time now and decided to finally after upgrading my PC upgrade my monitor as well.
I have decided that anything 1440p 144hz+ will suffice so I tried out LG GN800B described as a budget friendly but very good monitor.
Boy oh boy this one F**CKED my eyes hard - I have tried every possible setting, 0 brightness, 100 brightness, every setting inbetween, low saturation, low contrast etc. Nothing really helped.
After that I went even higher with BenQ Mobiuz 3210R - Honestly I loved the curve and VA panel seemed to be much easier on my eyes but still not perfect compared to my old ASUS but the Ghosting and Inverse ghosting depending on overdrive setting was unbearable so I decided to return it.

What I noticed especially comparing ASUS and LG is that Asus even at 0 brightness and Blue light filter to the max that made it even less bright has virtually no reflections, either from light source above me (slightly to the right of monitor) or basically anything else, even with <40 nits I can see very well on it, no reflections no eyestrain and LG is basically a mirror despite having the "Anti-Glare Matte coating" just like the old Asus. The Mobiuz was much better than LG but I could still see the color of my shirt when the screen was black and with the Asus the most it reflects are my fingertips when i literally touch it.

Is there a 144hz(or more) 1440p monitor that is known for superior matte coating?
Or maybe this is a wrong lead to follow and the eyestrain comes from different source?
I've read many posts, on this forum, reddit etc about people expriencing very similar issues if not even the same story with old TN panel being perfectly fine and everything new causing awful eyestrain, I've also seen posts of people that "got used to" the monitor that caused them the eyestrain and it stopped but it honestly felt like going blind with the LG, I saw white spots in my vision, pain was awful and I couldn't really focus my eyesight on anything for atleast 5 minutes after using it.

Just so you know I am currently pursuing medical help from eye doctor as well as neurologist but seeing how many people had the same problem I feel like that's not the only issue and everything I can do to help from the hardware side is a good way to go about it as well.
Also when it comes to eye doctor I went there multiple times already, have perscription glasses with blue light filter but it's like +0.25 so generally my eyesight is pretty alright and the eye doctors have not found anything else being wrong with either my eye accomodation or anything else.

I

boomlegshot

Re: Eyestrain issues - please help.

Post by boomlegshot » 01 Jun 2023, 07:39

Gl dude, Been dealing with these issues myself and haven't been able to figure it out, tried TN,IPS,VA. it's even more difficult to diagnose considering that symptoms are different for many and also may be caused by different things:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 04:28
There are MANY causes of eyestrain that are not related to flicker or PWM.
- antiglare
- polarization
- pixel structure
- brightness
- contrast
- color gamut
- blur eyestrain
- stutter eyestrain
- screen too bright relative to environment
- etc
Personally, I have astigmatism so for me the issue is mainly occuring in evening with the brighter shades in contrast to dark shades, for example the white text on black background in dark mode causes viewing discomfort, obviously switching to light mode adds even more white so not ideal. And the thing is, these sort of issues were not so prevalent on my old 60hz TN.

I'm currently trying a monitor and I've been messing with not just OSD brightness but also in NVIDIA control panel settings and adjusting gamma in Windows, seems to actually be helping, still not conclusive.

Maybe you are right about the coatings.

I'm not an expert, don't know these things in depth but my standing theory is, that for some users who eliminate most of these issues but still have severe discomfort compared to their old LCDs, it could either be linked to the antiglare coatings on modern panels or the backlight, or both combined. Over time they have been messing with the LEDs and their filters, changing diode combinations and phosphors to achieve wider color gamuts (quantum dot filters, nano ips, etc) and also making monitors brighter to get that HDR certification and such, it looks like this alters the wavelenghts of light emited and maybe some users are sensitive to certain combinations of energy peaks and wavelenghts. Source (https://pcmonitors.info/articles/the-ev ... acklights/). This is anecdotal ofcourse, I don't have scientific results and I believe we experience different wavelenghts with natural sunglight throughout the day but it's the only thing I can point to with modern LCDs that may have an effect on sensitive eyes if other things aren't the issue.

Boomchakadah

Post by Boomchakadah » 03 Jun 2023, 04:12

You gonna have to continue trying monitors until you find one that doesn't give you eye strain.
VG258QM 280Hz TN (main)| XG2431 240Hz IPS | XL2540K 240Hz TN | XV252Q 1080p 280Hz IPS | XL2546K 1080p 240hz TN | AW2518HF 1080p 240Hz TN | XV240YP 1080p 165Hz IPS | XG2402 1080p 144hz TN | 27GL83A 1440p 144Hz IPS | XL2411P 144Hz TN | XF240H 144Hz TN

Pavelsky

Post by Pavelsky » 03 Jun 2023, 06:56

Boomchakadah wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 04:12
You gonna have to continue trying monitors until you find one that doesn't give you eye strain.
Yeah that's my plan, order new one every two weeks (law guaranteed return window in my country) until I find one that's alright lmao.
Next on the list is Odyssey G7 since according to many posts I have read VA panels are generally more eye friendly