Monitor is very hot and mouse movement is not as smooth as controller?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Argus

Monitor is very hot and mouse movement is not as smooth as controller?

Post by Argus » 14 Aug 2023, 10:38

I've noticed that the bottom of my monitor screen (the bottom covered bezel of the panel itself) gets alarmingly hot. It's the same as holding a severely overheating phone in your hand. It's a dell sd2716dg.

Also, I've gone through many different mice through the past months and have notice none of them are ever as smooth as controller camera movement in FPS games. When I move the camera in Doom, a mouse will not seem as smooth or linear as a controller analog stick.
I can't tell if it's a hardware or software issue because I've gone through many different mice and multiple versions of windows trying to isolate the issue.

Strangely enough, I've tried a few new monitors as well, and the issue persists.

What could be going on here?

jorimt

Re: Monitor is very hot and mouse movement is not as smooth as controller?

Post by jorimt » 14 Aug 2023, 11:02

Argus wrote:
14 Aug 2023, 10:38
I've noticed that the bottom of my monitor screen (the bottom covered bezel of the panel itself) gets alarmingly hot. It's the same as holding a severely overheating phone in your hand. It's a dell sd2716dg.
It's normal for electronics to get warm or hot during operation. The manufacturers probably didn't expect you to hold your hand on the front of the bezel while the monitor is operating for long periods of time either.
Argus wrote:
Also, I've gone through many different mice through the past months and have notice none of them are ever as smooth as controller camera movement in FPS games. When I move the camera in Doom, a mouse will not seem as smooth or linear as a controller analog stick.
Mice don't process input like analog controller sticks. Simple as that. So if you're referring to the fact that it's not easy to do a smooth, slow E3-demo-style camera pan with a mouse like you can with a controller, that's normal.

If you want your mouse to feel more like a controller, you'll need to ensure any available in-game mouse smoothing, mouse acceleration and auto/aim assist settings are enabled, along with "Enhanced pointer precision" in the Windows Mouse Properties (ironically, all the aforementioned is considered extremely unwanted by the majority of PC gamers/mouse enthusiasts, who instead want as raw mouse input as possible).

Finally, if you want more granular mouse control, you can attempt to increase your mouse DPI to 3200 or up, and then reduce your in-game sensitivity.
Argus wrote:
I can't tell if it's a hardware or software issue because I've gone through many different mice and multiple versions of windows trying to isolate the issue.

Strangely enough, I've tried a few new monitors as well, and the issue persists.

Because both the things you're describing are normal, so no amount of monitor and/or mouse swaps will resolve them.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Argus

Post by Argus » 15 Aug 2023, 18:22

jorimt wrote:
14 Aug 2023, 11:02
Argus wrote:
It's normal for electronics to get warm or hot during operation. The manufacturers probably didn't expect you to hold your hand on the front of the bezel while the monitor is operating for long periods of time either.
Argus wrote:
Mice don't process input like analog controller sticks. Simple as that. So if you're referring to the fact that it's not easy to do a smooth, slow E3-demo-style camera pan with a mouse like you can with a controller, that's normal.

If you want your mouse to feel more like a controller, you'll need to ensure any available in-game mouse smoothing, mouse acceleration and auto/aim assist settings are enabled, along with "Enhanced pointer precision" in the Windows Mouse Properties (ironically, all the aforementioned is considered extremely unwanted by the majority of PC gamers/mouse enthusiasts, who instead want as raw mouse input as possible).

Finally, if you want more granular mouse control, you can attempt to increase your mouse DPI to 3200 or up, and then reduce your in-game sensitivity.
Argus wrote:

Because both the things you're describing are normal, so no amount of monitor and/or mouse swaps will resolve them.
Thanks for the response.

I'm just curious to know, why some games are more stuttery than others even if mouse settings are consistent. For example, Doom Eternal has very smooth mouse movement but black ops 3 has choppy mouse movement. I have accel disabled on both games yet get different experiences for some reason.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Aug 2023, 18:55

Argus wrote:
15 Aug 2023, 18:22
I'm just curious to know, why some games are more stuttery than others even if mouse settings are consistent. For example, Doom Eternal has very smooth mouse movement but black ops 3 has choppy mouse movement. I have accel disabled on both games yet get different experiences for some reason.
Different games/engines handle mouse input differently, sometimes subtly, sometimes drastically; some games force acceleration, don't offer raw input, add weird filtering behaviors, attach sensitivity and other behaviors to framerate, physics, tickrate or polling rate, etc.

For instance, sensitivity curves between different games are rarely, if ever, close, which is the reason for things like online mouse sensitivity calculators.

PCGamingWiki is a decent place for looking up known per-game issues, including mouse input:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

As for some games being more stuttery than others, that's typically not directly related to mouse performance, but can still obviously affect overall mouse-feel.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48C4 VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

babooz99

Post by babooz99 » 18 Aug 2023, 23:52

jorimt wrote:
14 Aug 2023, 11:02
Argus wrote:
Argus wrote:

Argus wrote:

Bro he's not talking about sensitivity or the feel of the mouse. He's talking about how panning the camera with the mouse is not as visually fluid as moving with a controller. It happens to me too. Moving with mouse = lots of stutters, unfluid camera panning. Move with controller = super smooth

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 19 Aug 2023, 10:17

babooz99 wrote:
18 Aug 2023, 23:52
Bro he's not talking about sensitivity or the feel of the mouse. He's talking about how panning the camera with the mouse is not as visually fluid as moving with a controller. It happens to me too. Moving with mouse = lots of stutters, unfluid camera panning. Move with controller = super smooth
I repeat:
if you're referring to the fact that it's not easy to do a smooth, slow E3-demo-style camera pan with a mouse like you can with a controller, that's normal.
Panning on a mouse will never feel like panning on an analog stick. If that presents as less "visually fluid" to you with the mouse, I don't know what else to tell you beyond, again, it's "normal."

If, however, one or both of you aren't referring to that, and instead to the fact that the mouse is introducing stutter the controller is not (in the same games), and multiple mouse swaps (be it the mice themselves, or mouse settings) isn't solving it, that would be an engine and/or system-level issue.

Argus

Post by Argus » 19 Sep 2023, 08:44

jorimt wrote:
19 Aug 2023, 10:17

I've noticed that in black ops 3 there is an option call mouse filtering which when set to 10 makes the mouse movement super smooth

Couple of questions regarding this:

1. what exactly is it doing and is it possible to universally apply across all games? I tried mouse accel in windows settings but that makes the stutter worse.

2. for some reason, I remember a time when I didn't need that setting for the mouse to be smooth but now I need it. Why could that be?

Thanks.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 19 Sep 2023, 09:36

Argus wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 08:44
I've noticed that in black ops 3 there is an option call mouse filtering which when set to 10 makes the mouse movement super smooth

Couple of questions regarding this:

1. what exactly is it doing and is it possible to universally apply across all games? I tried mouse accel in windows settings but that makes the stutter worse.
What mouse filtering does can be game dependent, but I found this on BO3 specifically:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/311210/d ... 6954119246
Mouse filter smoothes out mouse movement. This may sound like a good idea, but it is best left unchecked. Enabling it will only distort your aim, moving your crosshair slightly off cue from where you want it. If turned on, Black ops 3 will calculate all your mouse movements over the last two frames to find an average and attempt to give you a more fluid feel. This means using older data to move your mouse instead of the most up to date information. Theoretically, with mouse filter off, you could also receive a slight FPS boost on lower end systems.
Other general sources on mouse acceleration/smoothing:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Gloss ... celeration
https://www.gearrate.com/en/guide/mouse-smoothing/

As for universal mouse smoothing, it doesn't exist that I know of. Closest to a universal mouse setting is Window's "Enhance pointer precision" setting, but that involves acceleration, not smoothing.
Argus wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 08:44
2. for some reason, I remember a time when I didn't need that setting for the mouse to be smooth but now I need it. Why could that be?
Could be various factors, many unique to your experience, so hard to say.