"TN is obsolete. Don't go TN. Stay away from TN." Is this true, or is the guy on CSGO subreddit talking out of his ass?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Hmm

"TN is obsolete. Don't go TN. Stay away from TN." Is this true, or is the guy on CSGO subreddit talking out of his ass?

Post by Hmm » 19 Sep 2023, 03:28

Quite a few people were saying that the Zowie monitors CSGO pro's use, aren't even worth getting. Apparently, the newer IPS displays are just better in every way. Is this true?

The thread I was reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensiv ... _going_to/

kyube

Re: "TN is obsolete. Don't go TN. Stay away from TN." Is this true, or is the guy on CSGO subreddit talking out of his a

Post by kyube » 19 Sep 2023, 08:02

I don't see a reason to get the XL2566K for the price it's being offered at when monitors such as the current WOLED lineup, PG27AQN and cheaper 1080p counterparts like the XG2431, X 25 and the newly released G2524H (which is probably the S2522hg panel but overclocked to 280hz) are a thing.

Also, stay away from redditor's and their opinions. 99% of the posts there are almost always wrong.

Hmm

Re: "TN is obsolete. Don't go TN. Stay away from TN." Is this true, or is the guy on CSGO subreddit talking out of his a

Post by Hmm » 19 Sep 2023, 09:36

But are the newer IPS panels really as good as TN panels for competitive shooters, such as CSGO, that even the pros would use? This is what I'm wondering. Would be sick if that is the case, because I'm pretty sure IPS panels weren't good enough for that a couple of years ago. Has the tech improved this much?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Sep 2023, 12:03

Hmm wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 09:36
But are the newer IPS panels really as good as TN panels for competitive shooters, such as CSGO, that even the pros would use? This is what I'm wondering. Would be sick if that is the case, because I'm pretty sure IPS panels weren't good enough for that a couple of years ago. Has the tech improved this much?
At the 240Hz leagues, it certainly has. You can get 240Hz IPS with less blur AND less lag, than an "average" 240Hz TN, as long as you've bought a post-2020 "Fast IPS" panel.

However, at the 360Hz leagues, it leapfrogs a little bit again. The XL2566K E-TN is pretty good, all things considered.

However, with a bit of brute extra Hz (e.g. 390Hz+ IPS), it's hard to tell. Pretty close to splitting hairs.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Hmm

Post by Hmm » 19 Sep 2023, 12:25

Nice, that's really impressive.

I appreciate the replies.

Inco^

Post by Inco^ » 19 Sep 2023, 12:37

In my eyes, the 360Hz TN of XL2566K is more clear than the 390Hz Fast-IPS from Acer. And it is still by a 'significant' margin to me.

This is mainly based on playing in a FPS game where I run 390+ FPS at all times.
I used VRB=extreme on the Acer and now I'm using Persistence=25 with XL2566K (maximum motion clarity using Blur Busters Strobe Utility).

But I've heard the "ultrafast IPS" used in PG27AQN is faster than "fast IPS". I think the response time tables from rtings between XL2566K and PG27AQN are comparable?

Hopefully the new 540Hz TN panel, coming soon with PG248QP and XV242F (the latter is already available in China), is faster than the TN panel from XL2566K
PG248QP - XL2566K - XV252Q F - PG259QN - XL2546K - Y27gq-25 - AG251FZ - LaCie Electron 22 Blue IV

kyube

Post by kyube » 19 Sep 2023, 13:14

Hmm wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 09:36
What pro's use is of no relevence to actual real life performance. Pro's use whatever is served to them by their sponsors and/or using equipment which will be used at tourneys. Do not use them as a guideline for your purchasing decisions.
Yes, IPS' has got very quick. Not every panel though.

Panels like the PG27AQN (unstrobed) are extremely crisp for example, it's the "fastest" (as in, quick response times / good refresh rate compliance) panel and "most real" representation of 360hz available right now.

You also got the best strobed experience on panels such as the XG2431 (crosstalkless in 60-120hz range, IPS) and the XL2566K (crosstalkless 100-240hz) if you want the clear CRT quality back that LCD was missing for many years.

The E-TN might top them in both unstrobed and strobed, reviews should be coming soon on it.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 19 Sep 2023, 15:15

Had this one lying around. Maybe it helps.

CAD Max Hz, Best OD.png
CAD Max Hz, Best OD.png (34.85 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
CAD data of some older monitors Hardware/Monitors Unboxed reviewed are not published. I would assume HP Omen X 27 (240 TN) is somewhere around CAD 370 and PG259QN (first gen 360 IPS) around CAD 400.

For those who don't know CAD (Cumulative Absolute Deviation) is a measurement of response times/overshoot erros combined. In some ways better than standard millisecond/percentage measurements imo.

tong

Post by tong » 26 Sep 2023, 18:11

If you like a monitor that changes colors and black levels everytime you move your eyes, then get a TN.

Dalek

Post by Dalek » 29 Sep 2023, 16:39

I still don't get the hate for TN panels. I think it's just a bandwagon/trend to hate it at this point.

IPS can look worse than TN in some situations. I tried a cheap AOG IPS monitor and it looked horrible (granted, probably because it was cheap, but so is my current monitor that I still use over 10 years later). On the PG27AQN backlight bleed/glow is much more noticable in comparison to TN.

People always tend to also mention 'viewing angles' being bad. The monitor should be right in front of you, where you won't see any 'viewing angle issues'.

The new 500hz alienware monitor apparently looks bad despite being IPS. Zowie monitors are TN, but they look bad because Zowie sarcifice colours, contrast and brightness over performance.
kyube wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 08:02
Also, stay away from redditor's and their opinions. 99% of the posts there are almost always wrong.
Wise advice, I'd also avoid that site, it's a cesspit.