Scan lines/pixel inversion on car infotainment

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
hdecker

Scan lines/pixel inversion on car infotainment

Post by hdecker » 24 Oct 2023, 20:31

Hi this is a pretty niche topic but I don't have many places to ask for advice on this. I recently purchased a 2021 BMW G20 sedan. Overall I enjoy the car but as soon as I bought it I noticed there was horizontal scan lines all down the screen. I initially only noticed this in carplay and thought it was just interlacing from the carplay connection being wireless but it is unfortunately not. These lines also move if I move my head up or down. I had a TN monitor in the past with scan lines and I do not recall them moving like this.

It's been almost impossible to convince the dealership that this is an issue so I'm prepared to fix it myself. Does anyone have a clue on what this could be? I'd assume the screen is ips and 60hz which leads me to think it's not a display problem like typical screen inversion but maybe something else like the infotainment computer. Regardless, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this.