[HOWTO!] 360hz in a 250FPS locked game

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
chandler

[HOWTO!] 360hz in a 250FPS locked game

Post by chandler » 21 Nov 2023, 14:24

how should I approach this on the XL2566K ? (will be disabling MBR for sure)

but still it has output massive tearing with more than 100fps of a difference, no ?

will lowering to 240hz and creating a custom res with large VT with strobing enabled be much better ?

game is CoD4 (and I did in the past see that strobing in this game indeed is beneficial both on my VG248QE and XL2540 ( and yes, there IS in fact still a playing community and I wanna play it a bit x) )
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Addendum to add Chief Blur Buster HOWTO guide to this thread.
Will work with any >= 280Hz monitor

QFT 250Hz + Quadruple Motion Sync:
Best Kept Secret Upgrade for Quake Live

(Or any other 250fps-locked low-GPU-utilization games)

pollrate(/2) or pollrate(/4) = refreshrate = framerate = stroberate

1. Sync #1... Your mouse pollrate is already a multiple of 250, preferably in a motionsync-compatible mouse
  2. Sync #2... Your refresh rate needs to be 250Hz or 500Hz
  3. Sync #3... Your frame rate needs to be 250fps
  4. Sync #4... Your strobe backlight should work properly at 250Hz (DyAc+ does, ULMB does not without hack)
    -
  5. Fix Low-Hz Lag via QFT
    Tool To Use: ToastyX CRU + Vertical Total Calculator
    The ultra-low-lag 250Hz modes (with 250Hz refresh cycles transmitted over DisplayPort/HDMI in only 1/360sec apiece on 360Hz), is not a well known tweak, but is highly recommended for any low-GPU-overhead 250fps-framerate-locked games.
    -
  6. Fix Tearing via Scanline Sync
    Tool To Use: RTSS + Scanline Sync Mode
    With VSYNC OFF, you get stationary or jittery tearing, but you fix that with RTSS Scanline Sync to get tearingless VSYNC OFF. Voila! It works reliably if your GPU utilization is ~50% or less, to provide precise framepacing (beam raced raster-steered VSYNC OFF tearline) that steers the tearline offscreen between refresh cycles. It works more reliably with the large VBIs created by QFT (250Hz refresh cycles scanned in 1/360sec = more time between refresh cycles to hide tearlines!!!!)
Magic.

The experience is pretty sublime when you've sync'd your mouse pollrate, framerate, refreshrate, stroberate (quadruple integer-multiple sync!), it's light years better than ordinary VSYNC OFF if you succeed the quad-sync. It's a motion dream like 60fps CRT arcade machines of yesteryear.
  • Tearingless VSYNC OFF looks like VSYNC ON but without lag
  • not a single microstutter
  • not a single tearline
  • no strobe-amplified jittering AT ALL
  • no mouse jittering AT ALL
  • no double images in screen center
  • "TestUFO-smooth" FPS movements
  • zero strobe amplification of stutter
It especially looks good in arena mode and rocket jumping races, where your eyes have to be tracking all over the screen, forcing you to see all the strobe-amplified jitter. When you are forced to track your eyes in a fast-paced arena-style game for some gaming techniques (more often than in CS:GO), this is where the quadruple motion sync really helps.

Mouse DPI: Personal preference With a Secret Guideline Specific to Quad-Sync
Instructions: Double DPI while halving sensitivity, until game or mouse flakes out, then back to highest stable DPI
During quadruple-sync situation, 400 users may find 800 better, and 800 users may find 1600 better, etc
During quad-sync, higher DPI actually improves, so make sure you use the highest DPI your mouse and game is reliable at, and use low sensitivity, to prevent the slow-turn jittering of low-DPI; most flick turns in FPS, but sometimes a sniper has to slowtrack, so you want to remove your slowtrack jittering by using the highest "legacy game compatible" DPI you can use accurately. High DPI works MUCH better during quadruple sync if you're doing any slowtrack stuff (slowtracking targets as a distant sniper).

Too bad RTSS Scanline Sync is so damn complicated compared to plain old VSYNC OFF, but it's worth it for this use case.

This is syncing FOUR numbers together.
Skill Level: Intermediate/Advanced Computer Tweaker

Yesterday's VSYNC ON just syncs framerate to Hz, that's only syncing TWO numbers. But with a framerate reference of 250 and access to a 250 refresh rate (in 280Hz+ monitors), a simple divisor of common mouse pollrates. So you got a delicious quadruple sync opportunity, as a best kept secret if you do a bit more legwork with configuring.[/size]

chandler

Re: 360hz in a 250FPS locked game

Post by chandler » 25 Nov 2023, 05:19

anyone ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Nov 2023, 10:21

chandler wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 05:19
anyone ?
Well, you'd use VRR for this, but since you use strobing your only option is to match Hz to FPS. You also need vsync to get rid of tearing.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

NDUS

Post by NDUS » 25 Nov 2023, 12:08

I would set the monitor to 240hz, enable strobing and use fast-sync (if the game supports it) or scanline sync if not. From my testing fast-sync is faster than scanline sync these days. But some games don't support fast-sync very well

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 25 Nov 2023, 12:18

When I had the XL2566K and played Quake Live ( 250 fps locked) I runned it at 360hz with DYAC premium. Overdrive high. Felt the fastest.
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

chandler

Post by chandler » 26 Nov 2023, 05:33

can someone here post good VT values for 240hz on the XL2566K please? I understand that on 240hz u can make like 85-90% of the screen ghosting-free, and that the 66k's panel is in fact much better at 240hz than older 240hz benq screens like 2540 and even 2546k

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 26 Nov 2023, 10:12

chandler wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 05:33
can someone here post good VT values for 240hz on the XL2566K please? I understand that on 240hz u can make like 85-90% of the screen ghosting-free, and that the 66k's panel is in fact much better at 240hz than older 240hz benq screens like 2540 and even 2546k
I don't know about the XL2566K specifically, but as a general rule of thumb, the first thing you try is taking note of the pixel clock of the highest Hz mode (360Hz in this case), then edit the 240Hz mode by increasing VT until the pixel clock matches the 360Hz pixel clock as close as possible.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Nov 2023, 03:55

chandler wrote:
For XL2566K with Quake Live, if you want to "sync" better;

For Quake Live, I strongly recommend using custom 250Hz instead of standard 240Hz.

Strobed Quake Live looks MUCH more CRT-like that way

XL2566K can do any custom refresh rate, you can create 213.5235Hz and 303.666Hz, so why 240Hz for Quake Live? Why not sync to Quake Live!

You should try sync your framerate / pollrate / refreshrate multiples as much as you can, when it comes to Quake Live. It's such a game that benefits significantly from syncing it all up.

Also, Quake Live works wonderfully with RTSS Scanline Sync (tearingless VSYNC OFF), especially with its low GPU utilization + QFT-based 250Hz where the VBI is so large you can easily "raster steer" (via RTSS Scanline) a tearline offscreen between refresh cycles. Things looks TestUFO-smooooooooth in Quake Live that way (silky), like VSYNC ON but without the lag of VSYNC ON. You get refresh-rate locked motion, at ultra low latency, without the tearing, and zero microstutters and zero tearing.

Generally, XL2566K has a "continuum" of better-and-better for every 1Hz you go closer to framerate=Hz, so the 10Hz makes a quite noticeably big difference with Quake Live. The 10 microstutters/sec completely disappear (beat frequency of 240 versus 250)!

And to get 250Hz with the same low lag of 360Hz, yes, you need to use large VT via ToastyX CRU.

Now to do large VT's:

Use the ToastyX Vertical Total Calculator to do automatic VT values; the new version is much easier to create large-VT's on XL2566K.
1. Load the 360Hz resolution in Extension Block in ToastyX CRU.
2. Change calculation to "Vertical total calculator"
3. Edit "360" to "250".
4. It automatically calculates your Vertical Total.

Now you've got a 250Hz custom mode that transmits refresh cycles over the video cable in 1/360sec apiece.

Once you set up RTSS Scanline Sync, this best-kept-secret XL2566K Quake Live trick blows away both 240 and 360 modes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

chandler

Post by chandler » 27 Nov 2023, 05:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 03:55
chandler wrote:
For XL2566K with Quake Live, if you want to "sync" better;

For Quake Live, I strongly recommend using custom 250Hz instead of standard 240Hz.

Strobed Quake Live looks MUCH more CRT-like that way

XL2566K can do any custom refresh rate, you can create 213.5235Hz and 303.666Hz, so why 240Hz for Quake Live? Why not sync to Quake Live!

You should try sync your framerate / pollrate / refreshrate multiples as much as you can, when it comes to Quake Live. It's such a game that benefits significantly from syncing it all up.

Also, Quake Live works wonderfully with RTSS Scanline Sync (tearingless VSYNC OFF), especially with its low GPU utilization + QFT-based 250Hz where the VBI is so large you can easily "raster steer" (via RTSS Scanline) a tearline offscreen between refresh cycles. Things looks TestUFO-smooooooooth in Quake Live that way (silky), like VSYNC ON but without the lag of VSYNC ON. You get refresh-rate locked motion, at ultra low latency, without the tearing, and zero microstutters and zero tearing.

Generally, XL2566K has a "continuum" of better-and-better for every 1Hz you go closer to framerate=Hz, so the 10Hz makes a quite noticeably big difference with Quake Live. The 10 microstutters/sec completely disappear (beat frequency of 240 versus 250)!

And to get 250Hz with the same low lag of 360Hz, yes, you need to use large VT via ToastyX CRU.

Now to do large VT's:

Use the ToastyX Vertical Total Calculator to do automatic VT values; the new version is much easier to create large-VT's on XL2566K.
1. Load the 360Hz resolution in Extension Block in ToastyX CRU.
2. Change calculation to "Vertical total calculator"
3. Edit "360" to "250".
4. It automatically calculates your Vertical Total.

Now you've got a 250Hz custom mode that transmits refresh cycles over the video cable in 1/360sec apiece.

Once you set up RTSS Scanline Sync, this best-kept-secret XL2566K Quake Live trick blows away both 240 and 360 modes.
Thank you very much Chief. Will definitelly use 250hz then.

Ive been reading about rtss sync and it requires alot of fiddling with the strafing while caibrating the tearline. And Im not even THAT susceptible to tearing, only to ghosting and blur which is why I want to set up a custom res with a VT tweak.

Quick question.. do I create the 250hz resolution as 1920x1080? Because I am using a lower one in cod4.. or do I need to make a custom res of the specific one in game when doing all that?

EDIT: I meant what resolution do I choose while going through the steps if Im playing non-native in game (1024x768 to be exact) thats the thing I am a bit confused about... because everytime I did large VT on older monitors I did choose native (even when playing 4:3 resolutions) but now it seems not so right

2nd EDIT : dummy question but - you wrote about QL but I am assuming that you mean the engine in general ? because I was talking about CoD4 Promod . (and yes its also locked at 250FPS Max , like QL) previously I've been playing cod4 on the XL2540, MBR ON tweaked the area & intensity via service menu but thats it, I also played CS:GO like that before actually realizing it doesnt benefit from strobing as much

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2023, 03:01

chandler wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 05:12
EDIT: I meant what resolution do I choose while going through the steps if Im playing non-native in game (1024x768 to be exact) thats the thing I am a bit confused about... because everytime I did large VT on older monitors I did choose native (even when playing 4:3 resolutions) but now it seems not so right
Combining QFT with non-native resolutions is kind of tricky. Easiest to stick to native resolution, as it's much simpler, and native resolution actually isn't laggier than lower resolution, when properly configured. At a locked 250fps, your GPU utilization practically disappears in those games that render frames in just a millisecond, ending up with no lag difference between 1024x768 or 1920x1080.

Start with that FIRST, before trying to go non-native which can sometimes wreck QFT compatibility (unless you understand what a "Back Porch" means in a video signal).

You could also try 1440x1080, it's best to use native vertical resolution if you want to aberrate to non-native resolution: Go non-native horizontal to preserve QFT compatibility (which may depend on native verticals). In 250fps-capped older engines, the QFT lag reduction MORE than overcomes the lag-increase of rendering higher resolutions, so don't sabotage this hidden easter egg.
chandler wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 05:12
2nd EDIT : dummy question but - you wrote about QL but I am assuming that you mean the engine in general ? because I was talking about CoD4 Promod . (and yes its also locked at 250FPS Max , like QL)
Any engine locked to perfectly 250 will benefit from these tips, but make sure your GPU utilization is less than 50% to successfully use a tearingless VSYNC OFF mode (like RTSS Scanline Sync)

Locking the framerate = Hz to 250, while having your mouse at 500 or 1000, means you've got a lot of frequencies kinda sync'd to each other (not necessarily perfectly, but much more perfectly).

QFT 250Hz + Quadruple Motion Sync:
Best Kept Secret Upgrade for Quake Live

(Or any other 250fps-locked low-GPU-utilization games)

pollrate(/2) or pollrate(/4) = refreshrate = framerate = stroberate

1. Sync #1... Your mouse pollrate is already a multiple of 250, preferably in a motionsync-compatible mouse
  2. Sync #2... Your refresh rate needs to be 250Hz or 500Hz
  3. Sync #3... Your frame rate needs to be 250fps
  4. Sync #4... Your strobe backlight should work properly at 250Hz (DyAc+ does, ULMB does not without hack)
    -
  5. Fix Low-Hz Lag via QFT
    Tool To Use: ToastyX CRU + Vertical Total Calculator
    The ultra-low-lag 250Hz modes (with 250Hz refresh cycles transmitted over DisplayPort/HDMI in only 1/360sec apiece on 360Hz), is not a well known tweak, but is highly recommended for any low-GPU-overhead 250fps-framerate-locked games.
    -
  6. Fix Tearing via Scanline Sync
    Tool To Use: RTSS + Scanline Sync Mode
    With VSYNC OFF, you get stationary or jittery tearing, but you fix that with RTSS Scanline Sync to get tearingless VSYNC OFF. Voila! It works reliably if your GPU utilization is ~50% or less, to provide precise framepacing (beam raced raster-steered VSYNC OFF tearline) that steers the tearline offscreen between refresh cycles. It works more reliably with the large VBIs created by QFT (250Hz refresh cycles scanned in 1/360sec = more time between refresh cycles to hide tearlines!!!!)
Magic.

The experience is pretty sublime when you've sync'd your mouse pollrate, framerate, refreshrate, stroberate (quadruple integer-multiple sync!), it's light years better than ordinary VSYNC OFF if you succeed the quad-sync. It's a motion dream like 60fps CRT arcade machines of yesteryear.
  • Tearingless VSYNC OFF looks like VSYNC ON but without lag
  • not a single microstutter
  • not a single tearline
  • no strobe-amplified jittering AT ALL
  • no mouse jittering AT ALL
  • no double images in screen center
  • "TestUFO-smooth" FPS movements
  • zero strobe amplification of stutter
It especially looks good in arena mode and rocket jumping races, where your eyes have to be tracking all over the screen, forcing you to see all the strobe-amplified jitter. When you are forced to track your eyes in a fast-paced arena-style game for some gaming techniques (more often than in CS:GO), this is where the quadruple motion sync really helps.

Mouse DPI: Personal preference With a Secret Guideline Specific to Quad-Sync
Instructions: Double DPI while halving sensitivity, until game or mouse flakes out, then back to highest stable DPI
During quadruple-sync situation, 400 users may find 800 better, and 800 users may find 1600 better, etc
During quad-sync, higher DPI actually improves, so make sure you use the highest DPI your mouse and game is reliable at, and use low sensitivity, to prevent the slow-turn jittering of low-DPI; most flick turns in FPS, but sometimes a sniper has to slowtrack, so you want to remove your slowtrack jittering by using the highest "legacy game compatible" DPI you can use accurately. High DPI works MUCH better during quadruple sync if you're doing any slowtrack stuff (slowtracking targets as a distant sniper).

Too bad RTSS Scanline Sync is so damn complicated compared to plain old VSYNC OFF, but it's worth it for this use case.

This is syncing FOUR numbers together.
Skill Level: Intermediate/Advanced Computer Tweaker

Yesterday's VSYNC ON just syncs framerate to Hz, that's only syncing TWO numbers. But with a framerate reference of 250 and access to a 250 refresh rate (in 280Hz+ monitors), a simple divisor of common mouse pollrates. So you got a delicious quadruple sync opportunity, as a best kept secret if you do a bit more legwork with configuring.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!