Regular Frametime Spikes

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
OlivictorPhotos

Regular Frametime Spikes

Post by OlivictorPhotos » 20 Dec 2023, 22:52

For a while now I've been trying to diagnose the cause of frametime spikes that i have been experiencing in a few games. For testing, I'm using X-Plane 11. These are very regularly timed stutters that create an awful feeling even at high fps.

Initially, I believed this to be related to GPU usage, but that doesn't seem to be the case. At a locked 60fps with 60-70% GPU usage, this can still happen, although the graph shows much more attenuated spikes, almost flat, and the feeling is greatly reduced (but still there).

I believed this to be partly related to MSI Afterburner, as if i disabled the monitoring overlay, the graph would flatten and the stutters would stop, resuming when re-enabling them.

However in some cases, enabling the MSI overlay is what FIXES the stutters, and disabling the overlay or closing afterburner can reintroduce them.

Ever since i first noticed this, I swapped GPUs from a RTX 3060 to a 4060, and it still happens.

Freesync with Gsync compatibility seems to help a lot, but it's still there if you focus on it, and in some cases freesync just does nothing.

As a side note, i am unable to run on any fps lock that is not my native refresh rate, doing that will cause that exact regularly timed stutter sensation to happen (although nothing is visible on the msi graph).

I have used DDU to do a clean reinstall of drivers, as well as testing several combinations of freesync/gsync and vsync, at this point i'm at a loss, i've been searching for answers for months without any progress being made.

My monitor is the LG 29UM69-G
MV3GTFA.png
MV3GTFA.png (208.08 KiB) Viewed 784 times