Dropped frames in video playback when enabling HAGS

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Milincho

Dropped frames in video playback when enabling HAGS

Post by Milincho » 11 Jan 2024, 17:30

After doing all sort of tests, with both MPC-BE and PotPlayer, and all possible combinations of video decoders (MPC, Built-in, LAV, etc) and video renderers ( EVR, Direct3D 9 and 11, MadVR, MPC ) I *always* suffer dropped frames in video playback if I have HAGS enabled ( Windows 11 23H2 Build 22631 ).

It's specially noticeable when using motion interpolation software like DmitriRender.
Video playback is ok when HAGS is disabled.

I would turn that shit off permanently, but you are FORCED to enable it if you want to use DLSS3 Frame Generation, like I need to do to be able to play Alan Wake 2 smoothly.

To enable or disable HAGS it says you need a full reboot of the computer, which makes this whole process a total pain in the ass... :roll:

So, any idea why HAGS makes dropped frames in video playback or how to solve it?

Is there any way to enable/disable HAGS without having to do a full reboot of the computer?

Any way to use DLSS 3 Frame Generation with HAGS disabled?