Blurriness in Overwatch

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
masneb

Blurriness in Overwatch

Post by masneb » 18 Jan 2024, 03:55

So I recently bought a PG248QP and in general it's pretty fantastic. One thing I'm attempting to finally nail down is this last bit in OW2. I've tried all the various modes including Gsync/ULMB/normal at 240-540hz and one thing that's immediately noticeable is mouse movement. When you move your mouse in Overwatch, the game immediately becomes hazy.

I'm not sure if this is a engine limitation and not really something I originally noticed on my 240hz XF252Q. Matter of a fact, I thought it was a problem with my monitor up until recently, when I noticed everything becoming distorted in high action sequences. I thought it wasn't the monitor keeping up, but I'm not sure anymore.

If I go into the training grounds and look at the training dummies and do a lot of movement with my keyboard, including Tracer dashing or flying on Pharah the picture is legitimately almost pristine. It looks identical to UFO tests.

However, when I introduce mouse movement of any kind, the picture immediately becomes hazy/blurry. It doesn't matter how smoothly I track. The faster the movement (IE turning faster), the more blurry it becomes. It's very noticeable in a lab like setting if you rotate around the target. This is easy to do while centering directly at the chest of the target and spinning around it, for instance as flying on Pharah. If you have a very high refresh rate monitor, if you look at the text it's immediately apparent.

I tried with and without high precision mouse input and with two different mice. It's there and it's not user error as it's repeatable. This can be captured with a camera as it's immediately apparent on text, but effects the entire screen. I don't know if this relates to other games as I mainly play OW2 and there isn't really anything as fast paced as OW2.

I also recently DDU'd to see if that was doing it (it wasn't), also getting 480FPS static in training.

Kyouki

Re: Blurriness in Overwatch

Post by Kyouki » 18 Jan 2024, 04:24

Maybe using FXAA? FSR2?
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

masneb

Post by masneb » 18 Jan 2024, 05:07

No, no upscaling, 100% render scale, no anti-aliasing. It's a noticeable difference in clarity of the image when you start inputting mouse, more the more hazy it gets. Can be seen simply by taking my hand off my mouse and moving around with the keyboard.

I didn't even notice this behavior on my older 240hz monitor because the image isn't that clear even when using keyboard input.

PapaJuan

Post by PapaJuan » 18 Jan 2024, 10:55

Try going to the accessibility settings and turn camera shake, hud shake, and reduce menu movement to OFF/Minimal

Also, you can try playing with High Precision Mouse Input, but that does not change how the game feels or looks at all.

Tell

Post by Tell » 18 Jan 2024, 11:14

You narrowed it down to mouse movement so it's probably because you use such a stupidly high sensitivity and your screen is now fast enough to show how bad it is. Lower your sensitivity by half or even more, seriously. Your hand doesn't even move when you do a full 360.

Make sure your DPI is set to something sane like 3200 or 1600 instead of a jittery 30000 just because the mouse advertises it. Try different polling rates too if you own a mouse capable of real 2k/4k/8k polling.

masneb

Post by masneb » 19 Jan 2024, 02:14

PapaJuan wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 10:55
Try going to the accessibility settings and turn camera shake, hud shake, and reduce menu movement to OFF/Minimal

Also, you can try playing with High Precision Mouse Input, but that does not change how the game feels or looks at all.
As per the original post, already tried HPMI and it's on the lowestish settings (assuming no upscaling, changing render scale, or AA).

Idea behind HPMI is if it has more data points it'll make input look smoother and 'jitter' less. It doesn't change anything though.

I'll have to figure out how to setup a camera to record it. Starting to wonder if it's a Blizzard engine thing. Best case scenario is something with a aimbot, as people are already going 'nuh uh, that's just hand movement'. Your hand doesn't 'vibrate' when you input, which is the only thing that could cause this if it was related purely to mouse input. It doesn't match input based nuances.

Prior to getting this monitor I didn't even notice this and don't think I would've ever without it. I don't think anyone has noticed this.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 19 Jan 2024, 05:33

Yeah please record it one way or another, be curious to what it might be.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

Traveler

Post by Traveler » 19 Jan 2024, 05:54

masneb wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 03:55
I don't know if this relates to other games as I mainly play OW2 and there isn't really anything as fast paced as OW2.
Quake Champions is faster paced.

mellen

Post by mellen » 19 Jan 2024, 05:56

is it amd boost? AMD Radeon™ Boost dynamically lowers resolution of the entire frame when fast on-screen character motion is detected via user input, allowing for higher FPS with little perceived impact to quality.