my first 144hz !

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
G_G

my first 144hz !

Post by G_G » 29 Jan 2024, 13:11

so i got my first 144hz monitor and it felt a huge upgrade for me but at a very fast movement rapidly right and left the image is not clear at all after some search i got to know its a thing called stroboscopic effect so i wonder is this normal and it happens at any 144hz monitor even if i bought a high end one or at the high end monitor this affect dose not exist the picture is not mine but its the same thing im talking about and one more question at the monitor service menu there is numbers calles scc ratio & frequency what are those if anyone knows im asking just i want to learn more about monitors <3

HumanAI_004

Re: my first 144hz !

Post by HumanAI_004 » 30 Jan 2024, 08:08

G_G wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 13:11
... but at a very fast movement rapidly right and left the image is not clear at all ...
Without further information about what was your old monitor and what settings you know have (fps=Hz?) it will be difficult to judge.

Are you referring to screen smearing effect / motion blur? There are a lot of information about this on the blur buster website. However even if you fps equals the 144Hz monitor maximum rate the frame visibility time at 144Hz is about 7ms. This is quite a lot. There is a graphic on the blurbuster website showing the persistence blur of 8ms. You can compare the UFO image at 8ms and take this as the best you can get with your Monitor. The assumption is that your very fast movement on the screen you described is done at a speed of 960pixel per seconds. Faster (mouse movement for instance) will even increase the motion blur further.

(For example: If your screen would be 960 pixel in width, 960pixel/second would be a full screen width. If you are playing on a 27 inch wqhd monitor with 2560 pixel in width 960pixel is about 38% of screen width. A movement over roughly half of a screen in 1s is not considered very fast! In 3D shooters much higher pixel/s are achieved. As you can see there is so much to consider like resolution, all this is missing in your description.
And if you upgraded to 144Hz the motion blur should be already there on your old monitor except you had a much lower resolution?