How to prevent consistent interval stuttering during recording?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
huskereurocat

How to prevent consistent interval stuttering during recording?

Post by huskereurocat » 02 Feb 2024, 21:58

I don't even know if this is refresh related, but I've been at this for years now and am soooooo frustrated that I'm grasping at just about anything that sounds logical. I currently have an LG 32MP58HQ 60hz monitor for my gaming/recording rig and have been trying to get rid of the stuttering in my recordings that happen at a consistent interval. Someone said that my monitor's refresh rate had to match the recording refresh rate or this will happen on a consistent basis. I don't know if this is true or not.
What I have been able to find out is that if I use fractional FPS Value in OBS to determine the recording FPS and come as close as possible to my monitors refresh rate as determined by the ufo display hz test, I can lengthen the time interval between stuttering clips. The reason that I say clips is that the closer I come to my monitor's actual refresh rate the longer that interval is, but also the longer the stuttering will last. I can never seem to eliminate the stuttering and associated time frame that the stuttering will go on for.
Does anyone know this frustrating scenario or am I completely losing my mind here? Please help!!!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: How to prevent consistent interval stuttering during recording?

Post by RealNC » 03 Feb 2024, 05:29

First, make sure you run OBS in administrator mode (right-click the OBS icon, then "Run as administrator".) At least in Windows 10, this enables a capture mode that prevents games from starving OBS of GPU time. I don't know if this is still needed in Windows 11.

Second, experiment with the "limit capture framerate" option of OBS. Try with it enabled and disabled. See which option gives better results.

Finally, try and find out your true refresh rate by quitting every application first, close all other browser tabs, and let this test run for at least 30 seconds:

https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate#bac ... f&digits=4

Use that as your video capture FPS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

huskereurocat

Post by huskereurocat » 03 Feb 2024, 09:41

RealNC wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 05:29
First, make sure you run OBS in administrator mode (right-click the OBS icon, then "Run as administrator".) At least in Windows 10, this enables a capture mode that prevents games from starving OBS of GPU time. I don't know if this is still needed in Windows 11.

Second, experiment with the "limit capture framerate" option of OBS. Try with it enabled and disabled. See which option gives better results.

Finally, try and find out your true refresh rate by quitting every application first, close all other browser tabs, and let this test run for at least 30 seconds:

Use that as your video capture FPS.
Confused a little with some of your reply and need a little clarification.
1. Already running as an administrator, so I don't see that as an issue.

2. Haven't been able to find the "limit capture framerate" option that can be enabled or disabled. Need a little more information as to where I can find that.

3. When I do that test, I get a different reading each time I run the test. Run test for at least 30 minutes and I get anywhere from 60.0006 to 60.0014. As well, I don't see where I can put in that value as a decimal number. If it were converted to a fraction I might be able to enter that in as a Fractional FPS Value, but I haven't found a way to convert that. Just finding sites that will leave 60 as a whole number and try to convert the decimal part of the number. Any help in that area?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Feb 2024, 11:38

huskereurocat wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 09:41
2. Haven't been able to find the "limit capture framerate" option that can be enabled or disabled. Need a little more information as to where I can find that.
It's in the source settings (in the "Sources" panel.)
3. When I do that test, I get a different reading each time I run the test. Run test for at least 30 minutes and I get anywhere from 60.0006 to 60.0014.
Use the average of the two then.
As well, I don't see where I can put in that value as a decimal number. If it were converted to a fraction I might be able to enter that in as a Fractional FPS Value, but I haven't found a way to convert that. Just finding sites that will leave 60 as a whole number and try to convert the decimal part of the number. Any help in that area?
Convert it to a fraction. For 60.001FPS, use a numerator of 60001 and a denominator of 1000. Fractions don't have to be simplified. You can use whatever values you want, so a denominator of 1000 makes it very easy to use frame rates of arbitrary precision.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

huskereurocat

Post by huskereurocat » 06 Feb 2024, 20:15

Well, I tried to get the fractional FPS Value to work, but I still get the screen stutter on a consistent interval.
Do you know if a 144 hz monitor still has this same issue?

Oh, and I tried the "limit capture framerate" thing and it didn't work either.