What went wrong why didn't SED Replace CRT?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Supermodel_Evelynn

What went wrong why didn't SED Replace CRT?

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 05 Feb 2024, 19:26

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-c ... er_display

SED a type of CRT tech but an evolution of it allowed flat slim CRT style TV for it's time it was very slim like any LCD display and being a branch of CRT technology I guess that meant no persistent blur, no garbage backlight bleed, viewing angle issues, input delay etc
CRT had virtually 0 input delay even on 60HZ.

So how did this technology die? was it because phosphor was too dangerous and toxic to handle? I can't think of anyother reason for killing a tech 20 years old that's still better than anything we have today.

SED was NOT sample and hold and it used a grid of nanoscopic electron emitters, one for each sub-pixel of the display. These emitters "fire" electrons directly at the phosphor, eliminating the need for a bulky electron gun and enabling a flat-panel design.

For example SED and CRT you could use real life looking guns to aim at the screen and shoot targets with 0 input delay.
I had one on my NES
I got it free with the NES and I had a game called Duck Hunt, I wonder why you can't do the same with modern displays?
What made CRT so special you could use this optical gun to aim and shoot?