XL2566K recommended settings for CS2 & a problem with scaling

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
chandler

Re: XL2566K recommended settings for CS2 & a problem with scaling

Post by chandler » 21 Feb 2024, 13:35

axaro1 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 11:29
chandler wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 17:06
can you post the recommended settings for CS2? (for both dyAc ON & OFF)
For Dyac ON I'm using 1380 Vertical Totals, this is from the nvidia control panel, if you are on Amd you need to use CRU with a custom DisplayID profile to circumvent the pixel clock limit (watch my signature imgur link, it shows how to do it).

I'm strobing during the day with this:

I'm strobing during the night with this:

I manually saved the 2 strobing profiles to Profile2 and Profile3 on the s-switch, I keep Profile1 for Dyac ON so I don't stress my eyes when browsing or watching videos.

Be aware that if you launch the blurbusters strobe utility before enabling Dyac you will not see the current Persistence/Crosstalk Area values, regardless of what you saved on your profile. Only use the utility to set Crosstalk Area and Persistence and save it to a profile by pressing the button on the s-switch for a few seconds (or alternatively the OSD profile saving feature).

Never use the Brightness slider with Dyac when you can change persistence, you achieve the same result as the brightness slider while also increasing off-duty cycle duration, thus improving motion clarity.

I keep Black eQ to 0, Color Vibrance 10, Gamma 4, Color Temperature 92-93-100, Contrast 50, Sharpness 7, AMA High (which is equal to around 15, sometimes I go down to 12 to reduce overshoot).
we're already talked in PM's, thank you very much again for all your help axaro.

perhaps you could tell me why this monitor scales properly only when picking GPU scaling? and not display? (the XL2546K also behaves that way)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 21 Feb 2024, 17:10

chandler wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 05:49
Falkentyne wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 22:55
chandler wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 06:49
Falkentyne wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 22:09
Check the scaling options in the Nvidia control panel, and click "Override scaling modes set by games" or something.
choosing only "Full-Screen Scaling"
then "Display"
both override modes ticked and unticked doesnt stretch the game - only makes the game run in some "inner square" .

only GPU scaling works... is that how its supposed to be? I saw the same thing on XL2546K too ... both 46k and 66k only stretch it properly if I pick GPU scaling (ticking override does absolutely nothing)
How did you create the custom resolution?
From what I remember, NVCP created resolutions are *ALL* GPU scaled, so setting display scaling will do absolutely nothing unless the resolution already exists in the EDID. And I do not know what happens if you NVCP create a resolution which already has an EDID entry.

If you want a display scaled resolution, you need to use ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility and create an EDID Override.

Note that for refresh rates higher than 60hz at any active vertical "lines" of 1080 (e.g. 1440x1080), you should use the porch and sync values for 120hz, NOT 60hz. People trying to use 60hz values for stuff like 360hz or 480hz on newer monitors can cause red values (illegal ranges), so the default values for 100/120hz is better. Porch values of 48,3 and Sync 32,5 and 2080 horizontal pixels is a good setting to use, rather than 88/4, 44/5, and 2200 (the default values for 60hz), which can cause range issues at much higher pixel clocks.

I didn't create any custom res, didn't use CRU at all, just tried scaling the NATIVE 1920X1080 to stretch my screen ingame .
Display scaling doesnt work
Only GPU scaling does.
That's right. Because you can't use display scaling with native resolution that is interpolated by the video card to a lower resolution--that is the "incorrect" but dirty definition of GPU Scaling. You're asking the impossible from your hardware--that's why your settings aren't working.

I don't know the hardware in and outs--you'd have to ask chief, but display scaling scales with the monitor's internal scaler--which it can ONLY do on *EDID* overrides or EDID native resolutions. You should be able to get a list of which ones work with GPU scaling by looking at what is installed in ToastyX CRU.

Another way to check if display scaling will work is to set a lower resolution and then look at your monitor OSD.
If it says the lower resolution is "1920x1080" (or whatever the native resolution is), when you attempted to use 1280x960, for example, then display scaling will *NOT* work because that original resolution (1920x1080) is native to the monitor and being scaled down by the video card, but the monitor is receiving a native signal. But if the monitor shows "1280x1024" or "1440x1080" or something, then that is a display scaled resolution and display scaling will work fine.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 22 Feb 2024, 03:52

chandler wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:35
perhaps you could tell me why this monitor scales properly only when picking GPU scaling? and not display? (the XL2546K also behaves that way)
I never had issues with the onboard scaler of the 2546K but I haven't tested the 2566K yet.

If you can tell me more about what resolution you are trying to use I can see if I can manage to make it work with my system.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

chandler

Post by chandler » 22 Feb 2024, 05:40

axaro1 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 03:52
chandler wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:35
I never had issues with the onboard scaler of the 2546K but I haven't tested the 2566K yet.

If you can tell me more about what resolution you are trying to use I can see if I can manage to make it work with my system.
just by trying to scale the native 1920x1080 via NVCP by choosing Full-Screen --> Display Scaling (which doesnt work properly) - Only GPU scaling stretches the game properly (CS2), on XL2546K its just the same thing.. Display Scaling doesnt work while GPU scaling does.

samzor

Post by samzor » 26 Feb 2024, 10:17

Dear chandler, really appreciate to read all the thread. As you are a CS2 competitive player, I'm really interested in your thought about playing with DyaC on or off ?
For example I see pro like monesy who say that playing with it it's absolutely crap.
As sometimes pro doesn't know exactly at what they are talking about in term of computer science, I would like to have insight from guy that know what they talk about.
Also can you share your BenQ settings for a XL2546K please ?
Thanks

Hybrics

Re: XL2566K recommended settings for CS2

Post by Hybrics » 26 Feb 2024, 16:54

chandler wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 14:28
joseph_from_pilsen wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 09:06
AFAIK as non zowie owner, zowie presents settings recommended for their monitors, go to reddit zowie channel, i know that my friend was looking for other model and found it (zowie specific, other fabricers dont do that).
I once saw a Zowie rep commenting on a reddit post and they just recommend some pre-tuned presets they "configured" or something..

I want someone who tested stuff to recommend settings they already are satisfied with :)

again both Dyac OFF and ON

EDIT : I've encountered an issue with scaling in NVCP.
since old ages of high refresh rate monitors I've always scaled using Display Scaling but the XL2566K if picking display - makes cs2 run on some inner square within the monitor, kind of like black bars but from all 4 sides, not only the left and right ones but also below and above.
override setting doesnt fix it either, only when picking GPU scaling it stretches the game properly. but Im a man of superstition and I always prefer Display scaling over GPU, is there a way to still be able to scale the monitor properly to stretch the game ? and not use GPU scaling instead ?
Hi, im using the XL2546K and is the same issue, to fix that go to Nvcp and select display scaling with full screen (override does nothing) then go to monitor settings, go to display mode and select "full"
Tell me if works for you :)

samzor

Post by samzor » 27 Feb 2024, 07:45

Hybrics wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 16:54
chandler wrote:
AFAIK as non zowie owner, zowie presents settings recommended for their monitors, go to reddit zowie channel, i know that my friend was looking for other model and found it (zowie specific, other fabricers dont do that).
I once saw a Zowie rep commenting on a reddit post and they just recommend some pre-tuned presets they "configured" or something..

I want someone who tested stuff to recommend settings they already are satisfied with :)

since old ages of high refresh rate monitors I've always scaled using Display Scaling but the XL2566K if picking display - makes cs2 run on some inner square within the monitor, kind of like black bars but from all 4 sides, not only the left and right ones but also below and above.
override setting doesnt fix it either, only when picking GPU scaling it stretches the game properly. but Im a man of superstition and I always prefer Display scaling over GPU, is there a way to still be able to scale the monitor properly to stretch the game ? and not use GPU scaling instead ?
Hi, im using the XL2546K and is the same issue, to fix that go to Nvcp and select display scaling with full screen (override does nothing) then go to monitor settings, go to display mode and select "full"
Dear guys,
I tested it yesterday and for me when I select scaling on "GPU" without override option ticked, my game feel very smooth and my aim is very good. I also disabled DyAC in the same time, so perhaps it is also because of that. Had not enough time for testing, Ive done only 2 faceit games.

chandler

Post by chandler » 28 Feb 2024, 06:42

Hybrics wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 16:54
chandler wrote:

thank you man, going to try it later today. (havent touched display mode at all so far)

chandler

Post by chandler » 28 Feb 2024, 06:49

samzor wrote:
26 Feb 2024, 10:17
Dear chandler, really appreciate to read all the thread. As you are a CS2 competitive player, I'm really interested in your thought about playing with DyaC on or off ?
For example I see pro like monesy who say that playing with it it's absolutely crap.
As sometimes pro doesn't know exactly at what they are talking about in term of computer science, I would like to have insight from guy that know what they talk about.
Also can you share your BenQ settings for a XL2546K please ?
Thanks
well, CS pros certainly do not have a single clue it seems.

from my understanding (and hands-on experience) I feel that Dyac doesnt benefit games with NO FAST-SCREEN-MOVEMENT
CS is rather more of a STARE-AT-CROSSHAIR and u rarely move your mouse very rapidly and quick to all sides, the aiming is linear (horizontal mostly). so in my opinion DyAc is kind of obsolete in these situations.

Arena games on the other hand - like Apex Legends, Quake, older CODs - (even stuff like Rocket League) benefit from DyAc tons more (the difference in these titles is actually IMMENSE) .

I played CS on my old VG248QE 144hz (no lightboost / other motion blur reduction tech) for several years and it was completely fine.

although, from what I understand Dyac+ in the newer BenQ panels doesnt even add THAT much lag in comparison to playing without it - so u can stay with it ON if you prefer it

samzor

Post by samzor » 29 Feb 2024, 08:43

ok will see. I ordered an https://www.osrtt.com/product-page/osltt so I will test it by myself if it add input lag or not. In fact I'm going to test a lot of tweaks/command to see if it really helps and trying to debunk what reddit user's said.