[Help] Weird grid-like lines only when lowering refresh rate to 144hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notepad

[Help] Weird grid-like lines only when lowering refresh rate to 144hz

Post by Notepad » 12 Feb 2024, 12:49

Monitor: xg2431

When using refresh rate lower than 240hz, these weird lines come out. It's like a grid and I believe it's called scan lines? Happens with 144hz, 120, 60. Basically all.

It first started when I was gaming using backlight strobing at 144 hz.

I alt + tab > streamed my game to discord > went back to the game, it started to show. Before it started, I was able to use backlight strobing for about 2 days without issue.

I tried:

1. resetting the monitor

2. turning off strobing

3. turning ON free sync

4. changing brightness

5. changing response time

6. restarting the PC

It works fine when it's on 240hz.

Anyone got a solution?
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 644 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 644 times

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: [Help] Weird grid-like lines only when lowering refresh rate to 144hz

Post by RealNC » 12 Feb 2024, 13:22

Obviously something is defective. If there's no warranty anymore and can't RMA it, then a workaround would be to use GPU scaling instead of display scaling. You can force that in the GPU driver control panel.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Notepad

Post by Notepad » 12 Feb 2024, 13:53

RealNC wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 13:22
Obviously something is defective. If there's no warranty anymore and can't RMA it, then a workaround would be to use GPU scaling instead of display scaling. You can force that in the GPU driver control panel.
Hey thanks for the reply. I've tried changing the scaling but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I was hoping it was simply a bug or settings issue but I guess it is defective. It's also getting worse by the minute.

I'll stick to 240hz first and maybe switch to OLED monitor. Bummer I was just starting to like backlight strobing and read a lot about it here.

Hearing it's defective helps moving on from this actually.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Feb 2024, 14:25

Sorry, I had a brain fart. It's the refresh rate that changes, not the resolution, so nothing to do with scaling.

Yeah, not much you can do. Normally, the cable can be problem sometimes, but only the other way around. That is, lower Hz looks fine, but max Hz has issues. So it's unlikely it's the cable. Although you can try a different connection (DisplayPort vs HDMI.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Boop

Post by Boop » 12 Feb 2024, 22:04

I have this exact same issue on my PG248QP 540Hz monitor at lower refresh rates. G-Sync at lower Hz looks horrible because of it. Currently going through the RMA process.

I had to RMA my XG2431 in the past and was given a brand new monitor. The downside to Viewsonic's RMA process is you need to pay shipping costs.

Notepad

Post by Notepad » 13 Feb 2024, 03:21

RealNC wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 14:25
Sorry, I had a brain fart. It's the refresh rate that changes, not the resolution, so nothing to do with scaling.

Yeah, not much you can do. Normally, the cable can be problem sometimes, but only the other way around. That is, lower Hz looks fine, but max Hz has issues. So it's unlikely it's the cable. Although you can try a different connection (DisplayPort vs HDMI.)
Yeah I was surprised it's the other way around. Anyway, I just tried different connections and different ports but still no improvement. I'll try out RMA although I have never done it and it might be harder coming from a 3rd world country.

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it!