Viewsonic XG2431 black image? Dead panel?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
bof33

Viewsonic XG2431 black image? Dead panel?

Post by bof33 » 07 Mar 2024, 15:58

Anybody know what issue this is? My ViewSonic xg2431 just suddenly stopped working, power is on and pc recognize it but the screen is just showing a black image? I can't even access the OSD menu because of the black screen, I've already tried different HDMI and DP but it doesn't change a thing i do see that the screen is turned on but it only shows black, if i turn on the HDR on with my 2nd monitor i can see that the HDR slider still works on the black screen but nothing more,

If anyone knows the problem or a fix i would be eternally greatful, :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Viewsonic XG2431 black image? Dead panel?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Mar 2024, 21:28

- Have you tried different refresh rates / resolutions to see if those work?
- Have you tested different ports & different cables? If you're having the same problem on all video ports (DisplayPort and HDMI), and have confirmed it is not a bad cable, then you may have to contact ViewSonic for an RMA.
- Have you ever done any custom resolution tweaking? If you've ever used ToastyX CRU, you may need to try a restart64.exe. The black screen can occur with mistakes during tweaking of large vertical totals, especially if you forgot to reboot the computer (and then later, you rebooted, it finally took and then your custom resolution tweak finally malfunctioned).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Mar 2024, 17:31

What were you doing on the computer at the exact time the panel stopped working?
If it just didn't work when you first turned on the computer for the day, make sure there was no change in the configuration the last time you shut down the system. If it just stopped mid-session (like a video card black screening when the VRM's decide to give up), probably the electronics died and that's a RMA.

Have you tested this on a second computer? Even a laptop (HDMI) port works. If you have a USB hub, a Steam Deck, ROG Ally, Lenovo or MSI handheld works too (I believe GPD devices have built in HDMI). Note: I do NOT know if you can get a cellphone to output to a monitor through type C to USB hub, Chief would know, but I have a feeling something would not like that.

*EDIT* Just tested this on my LG V60.
Got my phone to output to my HDMI selection on my XL2746S, but the display was weird, it said "Screen+" with a few icons like Chrome and some other android thing, and I couldn't seem to activate anything on it--but at least it worked. Try a type C USB hub to HDMI and see if the panel works with your phone.

gwgewgaeg

Post by gwgewgaeg » 13 Mar 2024, 03:22

I just made a post about this same issue @Chief Blur Buster, they are sending out defective units, the only reason i bought this model was due to blurbuster having a good reputation amongst my friends but i got duped. i suggest removing this monitor from the recommended tier list.

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 23 Mar 2024, 18:12

From research I have done including Amazon flagging system the XG2431 seems to have an over 25% failure rate which is much higher than the 3% failure rate of electronic devices.

Samsung monitors some odyssey series also has same issue a massive failure rate and return rate Amazon awards a badge for such devices to warn customers against buying these devices.

I have opted to cancel my order because my last XG2431 also was defective.

So I am back looking for another alternative a monitor with 120HZ strobing and minimal cross talk